Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Bigger and Moar Crates!

6TrE0Eo.png

Wagons can hold up to 7 dirt crates, 9 huge crates and 15 medium crates.

Idea shamelessly stolen from Wess, these things are amazing, please add!

The 500/250 sizes are nice as they are add up easier to 1,000, Making market transactions a little cleaner when making bulk sales rather than trading in partial crates. 150/300 I never did understand how those numbers came about.

The dirt crate is very nice, when you are working on massive terraforming projects this is the way to go.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 16

I'd be happy if they would have the crates behave a bit more like BSB's when it comes to object size.  Like a crate holding 1,000 small items like vegetables, but only 300 dirt.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Wagons can hold up to 7 dirt crates, 9 huge crates and 15 medium crates.

The 500/250 sizes are nice as they are add up easier to 1,000, Making market transactions a little cleaner when making bulk sales rather than trading in partial crates.

Why not make the dirt crate 1k?

800 x 7 = 5600 dirt per wagon, doesn't help much for market transactions either :P

Other than that, yeh...good suggestion. Moving large quantities of items has always been a bit of a hassle. Had to move almost 500k veggies at once before... bit of a logistical nightmare, never mind the decay rate at the time too.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tallios said:

I'd be happy if they would have the crates behave a bit more like BSB's when it comes to object size.  Like a crate holding 1,000 small items like vegetables, but only 300 dirt.

Volume-based crates would be nice. Would prevent  us having to do nested-container shenanigans in order to ship smaller items.

As it is, you can fit just as many teeth in a crate as you can piles of dirt, and that's just weird.

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

Volume-based crates would be nice. Would prevent  us having to do nested-container shenanigans in order to ship smaller items.

As it is, you can fit just as many teeth in a crate as you can piles of dirt, and that's just weird.

I completely agree, you should be able to ship 1,000's of teeth in the same size crate as 300 dirt.  What might work better, instead of more different sized crates.

Shipping Crates:  This crate functions more like a loadable BSB, where the volume counts not the quantity.  Larger items would obviously take up more space. smaller items would hold 2 - 10 times what a regular crate would hold.

The catch would be the Shipping crate can only hold "ONE TYPE" of item.  They could even make little logo's for the sides to identify what's inside by general type.  

• Dirt, sand, rock shards
  • Foodstuffs
  • Blacksmith goods
  • Arrows
  • Misc

• Like 3

I saw those crates in WesnclsMe's server thread (Redneck Solutions) in the WU Server section under Mixed. Very impressed by the work he did in enabling them on his server. One of the many perks added to the WU servers which should be imported into WO if possible. Poor Wurmanites here missing out on so much.

=Ayes=

On 8/18/2016 at 7:02 PM, Tallios said:

I completely agree, you should be able to ship 1,000's of teeth in the same size crate as 300 dirt.  What might work better, instead of more different sized crates.

Shipping Crates:  This crate functions more like a loadable BSB, where the volume counts not the quantity.  Larger items would obviously take up more space. smaller items would hold 2 - 10 times what a regular crate would hold.

The catch would be the Shipping crate can only hold "ONE TYPE" of item.  They could even make little logo's for the sides to identify what's inside by general type.  

• Dirt, sand, rock shards
  • Foodstuffs
  • Blacksmith goods
  • Arrows
  • Misc

If this were the case, then the quantity of items held in a crate would be determined by a total set volume... which is exactly the way BSB's are set now.  And while I'm sure you're fine with being able to transport thousands of teeth, it doesn't solve the problem of high volume items (logs, dirt, cotton, rock shards, etc) from filling crates too quickly.

Additionally, items like food, clay, mortar and wemp are a little bit of an exception already.  You can combine mortar into lumps of 64 and put 812 of them in ONE raft.  As a result, you could probably fit about 60,000 mortar on a boat.  4500+ Wemp fiber fits in one raft as well.

+1

1000, 500, 300, 150, I love the idea. no need to restrict what the 1k one can hold.

Moar CRATES!

:unsure: idk about this one, I never had the need to transfer 500k dirt or potatoes, do we really need these that much?

I will not comment the logs and bsbs volume problem.. you'll see only ### ##### #### ###### #### ###### ### ## #####

can't we get a new retardedly big/slow wagon or w/e.. to move tons of dirt crates instead... just have another ~"useless" transport for that rare occasion to transfer your cabbage inheritance

*~useless as ship-transporters.. they're almost never used;

I am all for a larger crate but it should not be able to be loaded while full. This way you still need to get the dirt to the docks but then you can put several metric

F-tons into a ship.

8 minutes ago, Finnn said:

*~useless as ship-transporters.. they're almost never used;

Are you shure? I use ship transporters from time to time... .

15 minutes ago, Sirene said:

Are you shure? I use ship transporters from time to time... .

mhm, I'm sure that I rarely ever used one, it's practically useless if you live on some shore as you can push your boat to the water faster than riding a shiptransporter, not to mention the trouble to un/load things that might be in the boat(if any);

* I didn't say that they're are straight up - useless, but relatively.. almost.. useless :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

I am all for a larger crate but it should not be able to be loaded while full. This way you still need to get the dirt to the docks but then you can put several metric

F-tons into a ship.

one solution might be the use of cranes.. to move bunch of bulk goods at once from wagons to boats etc... 

but still we have better chance to get 1-2-3-5k crates before anything like that, as awesome as cranes might sound.. they'll be tedious, too much RP there..

I know.. that he didn't suggest cranes... but mega containers are just as bad as bunch of new bigger crates, large ones have been there for years and nobody have complained, if anything their ignorance about volume's existence is a bless *sometimes* <_<(like logs.. and teeths in crates..)

Edited by Finnn
dam typos D:

Wow finnn, just because you never have need of using a ship transporter to move or store a ship, or ever work anything greater than a 3x3 garden, chop up more than 1 tree at a time or ever dig a hole deeper than 5 dirt does not mean these items are useless.

• Like 3

Ship transporters are amazing items, just like these crates would be.

I know i use a ship transporter almost every other day

I also know on PvP servers, kingdoms churn through insane amounts of raw materials on a weekly basis. It would be incredibly helpful for us to have an expanded logistics system and a great start are crates like these.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I think the volume/size requirements are a bit off there.

Completely agree with you. Multiply provided numbers by 5 so 1000 dirt crate can hold 5000. Much nicer.

• Like 2

Working where I have, I've grown fond of sealand vans.

I'd love a good batch of 42' containers stacked in my harbor.

Welp. I can make wooden sheds that look like that, i guess... but... more storage options are almost always +1 from me

Edited by Makarus
Excellsior!

+1

The majority of my time in Wurm is spent moving dirt around and currently the 300 per crate is a hassle.  Is a bigger crate necessary, no.  Would it make the quality of life in game significantly better? Absolutely.