Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy_Norman

Worth playing?

Hi guys. I am thinking of starting this game again. I was not very good at it but I started around the time "Pristine" and "Release" servers were released. My question to you guys is: Is this game worth paying for or is it dying?

My own view is Wurm Online is still unique and offers an experience not found in other games, There is still a good community found on each of the servers best to give it a try on a free account and see how you get on, There's plenty of people recruiting for their villages who will help you get started in the recruitment thread.

• Like 5

this game is alright, try it out

the only thing that kinda is dying is the economy and pvp at the moment.

Give it a go, it's worth it.
  Started 6 years ago and haven't looked back (although there was that awkward time in Wurm Unlimited, but I don't speak of that anymore).

• Like 4

After a few false starts I started playing properly in May 2009 and haven't looked back since. With well over 100 games in my steam library, Wurm still gets played by far the most.

It isn't perfect, but it is unique and I love it.

PvP is dead but if you like the PvE part go for it

10 Years and still holding

PVP was never for me.  If you do come back join a village. That makes a world of difference in this game I think. 

Hello there :)

Me and Kaylie would definitely say it is worth playing, we have not been playing anywhere near as long as these vets, in fact, only maybe 1 year with a break of a few months due to real life issues, but we are back and loving it as much as before !

Valiance and Kaylie.

It is very worth playing if you are in this kind of game,it is most unique,comunity is the best i have seen! 

Started in the summer of 2012 and i can't imagine life without wurm!

• Like 2

Don't hesitate, just try it and love it or hate it.

Go for Wurm Unlimited, makes a lot more fun than the MMO and there are servers having a lot better support than Wurm Online. The best part of course no monthly subscription.

Now is a good time to try the game So much of wurm has changed in the past couple years it's hard to believe. So many awesome changes.

The cost to try the game is free mate , just make an account and go for.  One thing I would highly suggest to you though is to look in the village recruitment section on the forums and try and find yourself an active village to join. You don't have to play alone and there are a few very very active , friendly and helpful villages. 

If / When you decide to try out the game you can pm me in game if you have any questions or need a hand.  

Cheers and hopefully see you in game soon.

Edit: As far as the game dying?      Short answer No.     Every MMO forums has atleast one thread with " Game is dying"    Wow  , Eve online , Final Fantasy 14 , Guild wars 2 ect....   and wurm is no different. People come and people go but Wurm is Here.

Edited by Sunnyside

4 hours ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

So the game isnt dying then? It's still worth investing time into this game?

The devs are always working on WO so it's not dying in a development sense.

Since the release of WU, the population of WO took a bit of a dive - though I suspect the total number of people playing Wurm in some form is either steady or climbing.

Partly due to this population shift, and partly for other reasons PvP can be stagnant for the time being, and due to the population shift the economy in WO is also somewhat stagnant for the time being - not enough buyers for all the stuff that's around.

However, if you're not especially interested in PvP (you mentioned being on PvE before) or perhaps you'll look in to it in time (the devs are looking at a PvP overhaul at the moment though it may take a while for the dust to settle on that), and if you're not set on the idea of becoming a market guru who makes loads of money, then I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your time in WO.

16 minutes ago, Hordern said:

the economy in WO is also somewhat stagnant for the time being - not enough buyers for all the stuff that's around.

This actually makes it a great time to start over. Most items are selling at the lowest they ever have...meaning you get more bang for your buck.

Take the free trial, spend a few days exploring and learning. You'll know if you like it enough to buy premium before you hit the cap.

If you do buy premium, you will get enough in-game coins from selling your referral and sleep powders, plus 2 additional silvers in your bank for your first time paying premium to buy everything you will need as a new player, whether that is a deed of your own or a full set of top quality, enchanted tools to improve your skills even faster.

Doesn't seem to be dying to me. If anything, there are a lot of new features worth coming back for.

• Like 1

There is something about Wurm that no other MMO has ever touched.  The community outshines all others.  Yes, it isn't perfect, but we stick together through the years.  I think you never get the same sense of family elsewhere as you can in Wurm.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jimmy_Norman said:

So the game isnt dying then? It's still worth investing time into this game?

Wurm is far from dying. It has actually grown now that there are two versions of it, with Wurm Unlimited offering far more choices to various playstyles of interest to choose from on Public moded servers.

Wurm Online you can actually try out at no cost and Wurm Unlimited is purchased for $29.99 in connection with a Steam account that it operates through. So as someone new to the game I would recommend you try WO first for free and if you find that the timers and skill gains are too slow for you then make the one time purchase of WU and try out those free to play Public servers.

As for worth investing time playing the game, that can only be determined by you and your time available to idle it away.

=Ayes=

The way i see it is the game has reached what seems to be a steady active population of around 500 average at one given time. Its a bit on the low side to maintain a super healthy economy but its still doing ok. 

The game as a whole you will probably fall into the same category as most players... You love it and hate it at the same time. The game offers you so much in terms of content no other game can even come close. Some games out there have 1 half of the content but lack the other. The slow updates and the lack of  bug fixes are what people complain about the most. Even with the issues you can still enjoy the game on a day by day basis. 

Your wondering if its worth the time to put into wurm in my opinion i think it is because its not super expensive unless your wanting to build a massive deed for no good reason. A 1 silver deed is large enough for 1 person or you can also just join a village thats recruiting. Joining a group is probably the best way to play the game. 

• Like 1

It evolved into something of it's own, and it is what it is. 

It takes some time to find and see that, but at the same time, it's not for everyone. Niche... but special to us.

Ive been here for years, can't walk away. Sure the pvp probably can't cut it (ever?), and the economy might be on the dumps, but as in real world, it will pick up.

Supply and demand will iron things out, the players will find ways, the game will find ways, it's all part of the awesome imo.

I am not even joking or trolling if I tell you, try to avoid the forums, and go play it hard in game. The people in game are great, fun, always a deal here and there, helpful, diverse.

The forums are covered in  crying, negative ninnies. You'll meet tonnes of people in game who log into the forums once in 4 months, like I did now (to check out coin purchases), or not at all.

Edited by Marlon
  • Like 1