Sign in to follow this  
skyefox

[Resolved] Catapulting Fences on Deed - Continuous Fails

There seems to be a bug when using a catapult to destroy fences on a deed.

- the problem occurs when using a non-citizen of a deed to catapult stone fences on the deed.

- occurs with permissions set for Non-Citizens can destroy fences and also when player is given a role with permissions set for destroying fences

- bug manifests itself with continuous 'you just missed the fence' messages.

- this occurs regardless of whether the catapult is fired from on deed or off deed to the on deed fences.

- bug can be repeated and confirmed by firing the catapult at fences that are not on the deed  -- this works while the player is on the deed perimeter

To reproduce the bug:

- use a non- citizen of the deed, set settlement permissions to allow Destroy Fences for the non-citizen

- target a fence that is on deed

- fire catapult . . . . .  you just miss the fencen

Skyefox

Only villagers can catapult on deed structures, with the proper permissions.

Alliance/non-members can not do this, regardless of permissions. Hence the 'you miss' message.

I don't think this is a bug, it is intentional as people were abusing this in alliance to steal from freedom deeds. They should just fix the permission to either not have the option or allow it to work.

Edited by JakeRivers

If it is intentional the message returned is misleading and it would better be changed (maybe something like: "you see the X mysteriously diverting from the predictable path and hitting the ground").

This was changed with a May update where Destroy Any Building permission was able to be granted to others instead of only citizens.

If you want someone to be able to destroy fences with a catapult, give them a special role and allow that role to destroy any building.  You can then delete the role or remove that permission. 

13 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

This was changed with a May update where Destroy Any Building permission was able to be granted to others instead of only citizens.

If you want someone to be able to destroy fences with a catapult, give them a special role and allow that role to destroy any building.  You can then delete the role or remove that permission. 

This is not possible, only way to do this is as a member of the village.

I am fairly certain I tried that since the patch and got the miss message, figured it was just not patched yet.

I will test this now and see.

Edited by JakeRivers

13 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I am fairly certain I tried that since the patch and got the miss message, figured it was just not patched yet.

I will test this now and see.

Please do and verify.  Remember, it cannot be the 'default non citizen' role, but you should be able to give that permission to a personal role or another deed role or ally.  Please use with caution.

5CW1AiP.jpg?1

Okay, this is nice, tested with the destroy buildings on and off, so catapult fences only works with the destroy buildings flag added.

Did not try it with destroy fences off, seemed like no point in that.

I did not have a non alliance member to test this on, can do that later if you want me to.

Also I catapulted on deed fences while on deed as well as off with success. Finally got around to getting rid of some well made tall stone walls that should of been a gate.

It would be of interest to know the skill of the one doing the catapulting, I do know that you will miss a lot, and I mean you may do 15-20 shots if you have no skill to start with when catapulting, and will experience a lot of missing until you are over 10 in that skill, and after that the accuracy just keeps getting better. You only get skill ticks when you actually hit something so to start with its a bit of a pain. Also the quality of the ammo and the catapult also adds to your chance of a successful shot. So perhaps try imping your catapult up and mine some better ql ammo, 40ql at the very least, of coarse the higher the better.

Safety tip!

Make sure your horses and other animals are out of the way, I dropped a rock on one of my steeds hitched to the wagon, fortunately it was a range shot and was only using a 20 weight shot. ;)

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Thank you for verifying that this did fix the issue and you can have some help with catapulting fences.

Anyone with Wiki rights may want to add this information to the appropriate wiki pages so that others can solve their fencing problems on alt deeds.

1 hour ago, Alectrys said:

This horrible update made it impossible to do anything against same kingdom griefers' deeds on pvp servers.

You should've made it a possible but unlawful action like it was in the past, in order for us to enact justice on a pvp server, but instead you made it flatout impossible. 

Thanks for defending the griefers and turning pvp into freedom

Just now, Alexgopen said:

This horrible update made it impossible to do anything against same kingdom griefers' deeds on pvp servers.

You should've made it a possible but unlawful action like it was in the past, in order for us to enact justice on a pvp server, but instead you made it flatout impossible. 

Thanks for defending the griefers and turning pvp into freedom

PvP permission issues are being handled in a separate thread - I believe it's yours.  

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/143877-epic-cluster-permission-system-problems/

Your post there is being looked at and addressed for pvp permissions.  The list you made and the manner in which you made it is very helpful.  

I was addressing a bug report here and how it works on pve.

Please do add your comment to your pvp thread as it's an important one.

Thanks for that information.  The only thing I didn't try was setting Destroy Buildings.  Odd to have to set that in order to have it work on fences when there is already a fence option.  I'll try it out in a couple of days when I have time off from works

Skyefox

2 hours ago, skyefox said:

Thanks for that information.  The only thing I didn't try was setting Destroy Buildings.  Odd to have to set that in order to have it work on fences when there is already a fence option.  I'll try it out in a couple of days when I have time off from works

Skyefox

Yeah it is odd that it was changed in that manner, as it is a dangerous setting to use on your freedom deed, as it opens up your deed for easy theft by fellow villagers/alliance members. Make sure to turn it back off when done removing the fences. ;)

Working properly with Destroy Buildings ticked.  Strange, but I won't complain.  Thanks for the help

Skyefox

• Like 1