Sign in to follow this  
Shamgar

Turn Off Settlement Disband Global Message

One thing is exploring and bumping into abandoned areas and goods that who knows how long they have been there. And another is rushing to a place cause it just disbanded and you got a global notification for it, so it's gonna be a bunch of players trying to get the best and most before everydoby else does or maybe securing it with some cheap trick or game mechanic, i've heard that story too.

Reasons stated for keeping this message up:

"There is nothing wrong with looting disbanded deed" --- depends on the circumstances and what happened there to be honest but anyway the issue is that how it is being done through the global notification. Read topic title and my first lines of the post for that.

"It helps to keep the map up to date" --- If you don't "live" around a place you shouldn't know what is going on there, maybe have a rough idea, unless some player(s) travels there to check it up, which is also the point of having traveling and explorering players ingame. You want to keep it up to date? Then will have to check the areas periodically. If you can't do that than that would be portion of map defined as wildlands, places where is not known exactly what's going on. You want to keep track of alliance deeds? Then maybe make the message of disband pertinent to the Alliance involved.

You don't want a global message about your deed disbanding, I say the best solution is to put some silver into the upkeep.

If a deed disbands, it is everyone's business on the server, whether they want to loot it or just keep a map updated, it is part of the community.

• Like 1

It is not within rules to bash a house on a newly disbanded deed before it pops open.

I don't see why hoards of people would start running on the disband message.

It usually takes some time before the houses pop, at least if they have some ql, and well the low ql (newbie) houses seldom have valuables in them.

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

It is not within rules to bash a house on a newly disbanded deed before it pops open.

You can't bash houses you don't own on freedom, AFAIK.

Well, not sure if code changed, but I have one time (3 years ago) become haunted when catapulting a ruin in my then perimeter (now on my deed).

That house had already popped open, but had some locked rooms still.

Edited by Cecci
added details

4 hours ago, Cecci said:

I don't see why hoards of people would start running on the disband message.

It usually takes some time before the houses pop, at least if they have some ql, and well the low ql (newbie) houses seldom have valuables in them.

People can find quite a few valuables outside of homes, rare decorations like stone benches, rare fountains, etc.

Which community map are you all talking about. The only map I have that shows deeds is this one here: http://xanadu-wurm.rhcloud.com/

Even that map doesn't seem up to date. Which other map are you all talking about?

It is up to date, it's just an opt-in system, so only deed mayors add their deeds.

There are community maps, however, for each server.

That said I don't see cause to remove the event message, nothing wrong with going to a disbanded deed.

I'm trying to figure out how this helps the community map if people have to "opt in". Also you are correct. I never said there any anything wrong with going to a disbanded deed. It would be better if you can locate them by other means. Thanks for your input.

I mean I see nothing wrong in going to disbanded deeds based on having gotten the event message said deed disbanded, should've been more clear :P

Also for the map part, that is a debate for another thread, but has been debated many times, and in general some folks don't want their deeds on the map, so thus it should be up to them to place their deed on the map, not the business of others.

-1, there are better solutions to the main problem

Simply allow deed members a custom toggle on their announce settings. One for "1 week/24 hours left" before deed falls (announced to alliance or sent to a designated character as mail) would allow any heirs to salvage the best of the deed before the general public charged in.

edit: My reasoning is that I keep a close eye on nearby deeds and watch for the first decay tick and then calculate the day that they'll fall and then camp them till they do fall.  The announcement just means competition might get there a bit later.  The only real issue is with things like HoTA and other unrecoverable goods, a friend of mine's deed disbanded by mistake while she was away and some buggers took her HoTAs (even though local alliance members were also present to take them till she came back).  A message warning alliance members that their friend's deed is about to drop so they can save what needs saving is a nice balance measure.

Edited by Etherdrifter

I think if the deed is disbanded by upkeep, then the server message is just fine. The vultures will come anyway, be it a day sooner or later.

Only reason to turn it off, as I see, is for the "professional looters" to scout even more, do the homework. So in a sense this would encourage people to sniff around your houses :P

As was suggested in another thread, it would be good to get an email warning similar to when the premium is starting to expire. "You have 10 days left on your deed upkeep."

If the deed is intentionally disbanded by the owner, then the global message could be turned off. Maybe. Doesn't matter really.

1 hour ago, Shmeric said:

As was suggested in another thread, it would be good to get an email warning similar to when the premium is starting to expire. "You have 10 days left on your deed upkeep."

You folks know all deeds have a twitter setting right?

The deed will send you a twitter message when funds get low, its not rocket science, just a tweet.

+1
although it'd probably kill a thriving opportunistic network, that helps WO's revenue in the long run.
feelings and thoughts.

Edited by Steveleeb

On 8/18/2016 at 4:10 PM, JakeRivers said:

You folks know all deeds have a twitter setting right?

The deed will send you a twitter message when funds get low, its not rocket science, just a tweet.

Ah, but to most folk that notion is as alien as monotonic bar induction is to yourself ^_^