Sign in to follow this  
Shamgar

Turn Off Settlement Disband Global Message

This is something I been wanting to bring up. I'm semi new and wasn't sure how the community would react.

For some reason it does not seem right to me that when someone's settlement disbands the whole server has to be notified. Within a hour you have several people showing up looting the place. I think it would be better if players had to go out and explore to find run down deeds. This will get players out of their deeds to go for a real treasure hunt. Maybe even make a devise/enchant like my pendulum that will locate disbanded settlements withing a perimeter and withing a certain amount of time after it was disbanded.

I've heard of people coming back to nothing but what's in their inventory and this will also give a player a chance to come back and his stuff is still there because no one ever found it! That would be cool. It sucks to see settlements disband but at the same time i don't like  that people are waiting like wolves for settlements to go down. Treasure should go to the Indiana Jones of the server.

• Like 6

-1 here as well. Looting deeds is fun and rewarding. For example, a deed disbanded next to me a couple days ago and there was only 1 building on it and today one of the walls opened up and I got 1 rare forge and a rare chisel along with an enchanted hammer. 

Sorry

it sad to see deed disband for many reason but i do agree that looting abandoned place is one of the thing  i enjoy the most in wurm so -1

Edited by BlGpapa

The disband messages are also important for our map makers, helping them to keep the community maps up to date.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Yaga said:

The disband messages are also important for our map makers, helping them to keep the community maps up to date.

Some of our map makers are fairly fast in removing disbanded deeds though. =p

-1 for this because i just got caught the looting bug :D. Also its a good way to make sure areas get ready for the nezt owners.

-1 I have been known to grab all the low ql items I can get .

+1 tired of seeing the same names in local when a deed is about to disband or a wall is about to drop... Quite frankly it's disgusting how you scavengers act in the summer holt area...you know who you are( and so does everyone else)

I for one wonder how you find the time to sail around looting anything that isn't tied down...don't you have bricks to cut?

Edited by Toolhead
  • Like 2

You do realize that the loss of global notifications would mean nothing right?  You'll notice that alot more people show up at a recently disbanded deed when it's on the coast AND on the community map.  The ones that don't fit into either category still get looted by the relentless thieves living near Summerholt.

The same guy that you're referring to spends alot of his time exploring the area looking for new and existing deeds, wooden shacks in the middle of the woods, etc and he'll walk up and inspect houses for damage.  Wall QL, wall type and damage can reasonably dictate how long until a deed will disband, within about a week's window.  I swear he keeps files on every deed in the Summerholt area, but his gains are diminishing due to a lower population so now he wanders down toward Whitefay sometimes.  In fact, I believe several of his associates are working on a tunnel that goes west from Summerholt under the mountain just to make their thievery that much more convenient.

So you see, he knows when a deed is going to disband before it actually happens.  He knows how many people, wagons, knarrs...crates... whatever because he's already scouted the place.  He knows where it is, even if it isn't on the community map, because that's all he does is steal from people.  In time, he'll be able to so accurately predict when a deed will run out of upkeep that he'll be AT the deed when it disbands, waiting embarked on his wagon full of empty crates.

• Like 1

Some of these comments just prove what I said is happening. I don't understand how you can call looting a deed that had a global message displayed "rewarding". Especially when it's your neighbors house. I feel greed plays a big role when it comes to these messages. Like one guy rather not change anything so he can get a rare forge. Can someone give another excuse why keep the messages rather than being able to get things for free in a very unrewarding fashion.

Edited by Shamgar

My reason for -1 on this is connected to alliance.

Yesterday we got a new capital in an alliance I am member of, and it is good to know if that was cause the previous capital just left alliance or was disbanded by upkeep.

1 hour ago, Toolhead said:

don't you have bricks to cut?

Why cut bricks, disbanded deeds supply me with plenty, although it does not help much in my stone cutting skill, lol.

Some make it a full time occupation, others just when it is convenient.

Yes it is sad to see deeds disband cause it means a player is gone, but at the same time it adds another part to the game, scavenging and recycling.

-1 I like looting there is nothing distasteful about it. Most people scout deeds out before they go poof. The message just gives them the go if they aren't there already. You have to know the area well to know where some of these deeds are. Anytime I go out exploring I'm hoping to find stuff I can bring back home wither it meat from a hunt, an animal I don't have or an abandon deed. It allows me to get stuff I need or can't make without paying the crazy prices people pay for stuff on this game. I'm never lucky enough to be on when the message pops up or know where the deed is good for those who do.

• Like 1

-1 looting is fun although I'm not riding around intentionally looking for decaying places if I see a name I know the location of popping up I tend to take a visit. It has saved me from many hours of boring work to make mortar, cut stone or to grow garlic...

An occasional rare item is only the topping on it.

• Like 3

-1 love deed looting

On 8/13/2016 at 9:56 AM, Shamgar said:

Some of these comments just prove what I said is happening. I don't understand how you can call looting a deed that had a global message displayed "rewarding". Especially when it's your neighbors house. I feel greed plays a big role when it comes to these messages. Like one guy rather not change anything so he can get a rare forge. Can someone give another excuse why keep the messages rather than being able to get things for free in a very unrewarding fashion.

A lot of the fun is getting there before anyone else can, it's rewarding because the first to arrive, the first to be there when a wall falls, gets the goods. It is your fault you didn't set up a contingency plan in the event your deed disbands. It is your fault you didn't secure them further. 

Why should I feel greed for taking something from someone that has knowingly left it free for other players to grab? A player leaves the game, they've left a rare forge outside their home and the deed disbands, I feel absolutely no shame because the player didn't care enough to secure their possessions.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 2

Well I haven't had a deed fall as of yet I'm just going by observation. Finding ruins (disbanded deeds) that are unknown sounds better to me.

I don't like it either Shamgar but people are poor in this game and like to loot. So they can make money, this wont change anytime soon, best thing for you to do is live on a mountain as a hermit so people can't get to your deed easily.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with taking items from disbanded deeds. Having a deed disband (either deliberately or by lack of upkeep) means the previous owner lost interest in keeping it, thereby leaving their stuff to the public. Anything that is not secured is free to take for any player, that's the rules.

12 hours ago, Niki said:

I don't like it either Shamgar but people are poor in this game and like to loot. So they can make money, this wont change anytime soon, best thing for you to do is live on a mountain as a hermit so people can't get to your deed easily.

[16:12:23] <Genocide> I make my business off of looting fallen deeds.
[16:12:28] <Niki> lol :P
[16:12:35] <Genocide> It's fun, a treasure hunt at times
[16:12:55] <Niki> hey i'm glad someone does it

???

I don't understand, is this coming from the same person that deeded a perimeter ontop of a couple of decaying buildings containing a rare forge and a rare statue? The same person that staked out an entire night just to loot the building?

[00:37:13] <Niki> I've been here all day, I go make somthing to eat u took them, how did u even get in were u stealthed

It's funny how two-faced you can be, especially when it's convenient. Come on, we all know you like to do it too.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:36 AM, Niki said:

best thing for you to do is keep paying your deed upkeep

Fixed ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huntar said:

[16:12:23] <Genocide> I make my business off of looting fallen deeds.
[16:12:28] <Niki> lol :P
[16:12:35] <Genocide> It's fun, a treasure hunt at times
[16:12:55] <Niki> hey i'm glad someone does it

???

I don't understand, is this coming from the same person that deeded a perimeter ontop of a couple of decaying buildings containing a rare forge and a rare statue? The same person that staked out an entire night just to loot the building?

[00:37:13] <Niki> I've been here all day, I go make somthing to eat u took them, how did u even get in were u stealthed

It's funny how two-faced you can be, especially when it's convenient. Come on, we all know you like to do it too.

She can be one of those poor people she was referring too. Anyways, having clues to the treasure instead of a direct message sounds better to me. You guys need to be more nice :P