Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Allow Village Mayors Option to Take Ownership of On Deed Buildings

I would imagine a decent compromise is:

Impose eviction notice on building in village

If eviction notices is not met in xx time building becomes village mayor's.

I lost an entire village/kingdom to this crap, it needs a fix.

10 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

I would imagine a decent compromise is:

Impose eviction notice on building in village

If eviction notices is not met in xx time building becomes village mayor's.

I lost an entire village/kingdom to this crap, it needs a fix.

This is unfortunately why any village I'm mayor of will require that I am the owner of the building.

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Don't forget this:

Agreed. Also, I would even be OK with it not being within game mechanics & require a /support ticket.

This thread has been going on for 2 years. Is it something the dev team is even looking at?

It is becoming a bigger problem more so now than ever before, as more and more players quit the game, leaving abandoned buildings on deeds that still have active players.

Another house dead on my deed, would rather make it useful than destroy it.

• Like 1

+1 

can we add Carts, wagons etc to this, with owners that left village more then a month ago so make clean up easier

8 minutes ago, elroth said:

+1 

can we add Carts, wagons etc to this, with owners that left village more then a month ago so make clean up easier

I don't agree with carts/ships/chests as those are personal belongings, this is about the building permissions on a deed.

If you want a cart, make one.

+1. Since a mayor can simply destroy a house on deed, seems reasonable (and less destructive) to allow taking ownership.

+1 to this suggestion, I agree that mayor should have absolute power over anything on his deed.

1 hour ago, Aldur said:

+1 to this suggestion, I agree that mayor should have absolute power over anything on his deed.

He does, use a large maul and bash it.

On a side note, I wonder if the building that prompted the OP to make this post has decayed yet.

+1

We are the mayors and we pay for our deeds. We pay for the spaces others build their houses on. We are the tyrannical kings etc etc. Why exactly can we not evict someone who has been gone for a while now? We still pay for the space that we can't use. Basically, we're losing land. We used to hold the writs but now that the writs are gone we're often left with abandoned decaying structures in the middle of our town that we can do nothing about.

My proposition is:

- If the villager has been offline for 60 days in a row the mayor takes ownership of the house and the items inside. The villager trusted the mayor and the mayor trusted the villager in the first place so no harm done here even more so since the villager hasn't logged in in a while and probably won't again.

- If the player has been kicked out of the village the mayor takes ownership of the house and the items inside. This will require some safeguarding otherwise heavy abuse will take place. I'd say we should make kicking players out a village-wise poll. If more than 60% people agree to kick someone out the player is indeed kicked out. That would be enough to stop loot-hungry mayors.

This whole suggestion is quite controversial. On one hand it gives us, mayors, the ability to do more about our deeds. No more abandoned plots of land decaying in the center of our lovely towns and stuff laying around. Everyone agrees how annoying this is and how little we can do about it. Sure, we can ask a player to give us permissions for their buildings etc but nobody will give us ownership of everything they have just like that and often they can switch permissions before they leave so that after they come back they're still a happy villager. This, in my opinion, is preposterous and I can't agree to that.

On the other hand it makes villagers a little bound and it makes us treat them a little bit like a resource. I don't like that either but losing money because someone decided to leave an unaccessible pile of mess after them is not acceptable.

I know from experience that people lost entire huge plots of land due to that and they still had to pay for it in upkeep. It's a little off isn't it.

+1, mayor should always have all the houses, gates, mines etc ownerships on deed. When switching mayor, all the stuff should transfer to mayor and it could keep the current settings every house etc if player checks the square when becoming a mayor prompt. If not, it does the same thing as now, removing all permissions.

Since Mayors can bash down house walls on their deeds it makes little sense that they can't take possession of the entire house after some time period of the player inactivity/login, say 90 days seems quite reasonable. Even this is not the best solution as they may just login briefly elsewhere on the server.

Perhaps it would be best if only the Mayor could own all houses on their deed. Then they could start the house and give the citizen permission to continue to build it. Of course the Mayor can do this now anyway but I guess we are talking about older player owned houses on deeds being taken over.

=Ayes=

Please yes, bump for mayor to take ownership of buildings on deed. +1

+1 to this. Our deed had 2 of these. It still has one after I bashed out the first one with a maul, but that took at least 6 hours.

Maybe it could be something that is only possible for the mayor after the owner has been inactive for a long time (1-2 years maybe?) 

Perhaps it could be something like a request sent to the player in game that would trigger an email to be sent so they could log in and accept it or deny it, otherwise after a few weeks it would automatically accept and let the ownership be taken by the mayor.

Another possibility: only make it possible on deeds that have over a certain amount of upkeep and disallow disbanding of the deed within a week of the transition of ownership.

I know next to nothing about coding, especially wurm code to know if these ideas would even be possible with current systems but they're an idea....

-1 only should be allowed if citizen is kicked out. I think bashing it should only be allowed after villager is not citizen anymore also. inactive? kick him out and make the house go boom. 

I think the key point to be made throughout the thread would be to have a better way for mayors to resize the deed without needing to own everything.

Expanded version of that would be to find some method of fairly delegating ownership after a citizen either leaves the deed or is inactive for an extended time.

There are already methods to deal with unwanted un-managed by you buildings. You can plan buildings yourself, to keep ownership. You can talk - talk, discuss, as people in a community do - with your villagers to either set you as owner, give you perm to manage, or set the building as "settlement-managed". If none of them happens, you can bash it. With mayor bonus it's fast, if not always the most convenient, but you have the means to solve a problem.

I think there is too much focus on ownership on deeds in the game, and specially for a mayor, and it is a good thing that a deed mayor doesn't always own everything, in particular since they can nevertheless solve a problem if any exists, with it. Moreover, it is a good thing for newer/returnee players to feel their house is their house. It may not be a big deal, but it's the thing they made, so I don't see why not. Spreading ownership a bit - someone owns a deed, someone else owns a house - makes it a little bit more balanced. Just very little, more symbolic, but hey. I wish that isn't taken away too.

What kind of person joins a settlement in which he doesn't trust the major?

The major should always have that power. maybe linked to a two week timer if that player isn't online, or a timer they can manually set in the deed settings. Like 30 days. So every citizen then knows how often he needs to log in at least to not let this happen.

Especially given that planning a house requires a specific skill, it would limit the major doing all the layouts to have ownership if he lacks that skill.

It anyways never made sense that it is linked to carpentry instead an own construction skill, because houses made of only stone shouldn't require carpentry.

Edited by PWreset