Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Allow Village Mayors Option to Take Ownership of On Deed Buildings

If a building is on deed and for some reason the player who owned the building stops playing, the mayor should have the option of claiming ownership of this building. There is no reason for the mayor not to have this ability, they already have the ability to demolish the building, and or allow other village members the same option. So in essence there is no security issues with the player who was permitted to put up the building up on the deed in the first place.

There are many reasons for a mayor to always try and obtain the ownership of on deed buildings, but quite often this is not done as to allow the village member of a deed some responsibility and freedom in doing there own building while living in that village. Often deeds transfer hands several times and a few buildings sit there with no active ownership. I myself in the past with friends joining wurm and playing for a short time then leaving again, along with there building writs. Asking for them to hand over the writ to there first building they put up was not something I ever thought to ask them. Recently I bought a deed and the owner did not have all the writs, I spent a lot of time with catapults and mauls tearing down buildings when I decided to resize the deed, a very time consuming task and such a waste for a nice building as well.

What reason is there to force the mayor and members of a village to destroy a building simply because the owner is no longer playing. Quit often the building may be very large, or perhaps so nice you would not want to destroy it in the first place, or maybe a bridge is connected to it or just a good functional building.

Unowned buildings in a village leads to huge problems if the village needs to be resized or even maintained, as the mayor will not have ownership of all the buildings. 

Also just think of the poor folks who for whatever reason let there deed upkeep lapse, they come back to a village they will not be able to re-deed over if there is a unowned building smack in the middle of it. I have seen this happen several times over the years, with people replanting there deed the same day or even a few days after it has disbanded. I have seen a re-deed village with the token very far off to the side of its original location due to unowned buildings on the opposite side where the buildings they wanted to keep along with the one causing the problems all taking perimeter decay.

What I propose is a simple solution to this problem, allow a mayor to walk up to a building that is on there deed, right click it and transfer the building to there ownership. Once done the permissions can be set for the person who originally owned the building or the mayor could just destroy it or even assign it to a new villager or just do whatever they want with it, it is there deed after all.

I hear lots of talk about making wurm more enjoyable for the playerbase, well un-owned buildings in your village is anything but enjoyable when the time comes to dealing with them.

• Like 22

+1

Either allow to take ownership or allow to demolish the whole building as if you owned it.

Mauling small wooden newbie huts is not difficult, but bashing the walls of big stone house where the owner has gone inactive can be hours and hours of tedious work.

I would rather see the mayor get ownership, quite often the buildings are something you would want to keep, but at the same time be able to have full use.

• Like 1

+1 to demolish only.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

+1 to demolish only.

Yes Please +1. if someone left the village or has not logged in for xx (90) days the mayor can take over ownership of all things on deed belonging to that citizen

• Like 1

At the very least, I think all buildings built on a deed should have the deed owner auto set to manage and control along with the person who built it. The builder wouldn't be able to take the deed owner off the writ. I can see some shady owners pillaging the houses, but most just want the ability to use or transfer house to themselves in the case of villagers leaving or quitting. And if a deed owner really wanted to pillage right now, they just need to knock walls down and do it. So not increasing security risks by having deed holders be automatically on writs.

• Like 4

I'm for the demolishing but heavily against taking over ownership.

+1 but I see one problem with just transferring ownership, it could be argued that the act of building is part of the wurm experience and that just transferring absentee ownership might be a way to shortcut that process.  I think an acceptable middle ground might be that a deed owner could have the option to 'tear down' a building to the framework for that structure which they could just rebuild or destroy at that point.  It would free up time spent demolishing unused structures but allow for a building to be rebuilt as is if they really liked a building they didn't own.  I know I have seen several buildings destroyed because the owner has left that I really wish I hadn't had to demolish because I lack the creative talent of some of these absent builders.  Perhaps even an action timer to deconstruct that literally took the place down tile by tile.  Can we get a developers thoughts on this?

32 minutes ago, Dalvin said:

it could be argued that the act of building is part of the wurm experience and that just transferring absentee ownership might be a way to shortcut that process.

That is why I said just have the option available to the mayor to take over ownership should it become necessary. That way the villager still has the feeling of personal ownership of what they have built.

Right now I have a new villager doing his own thing on one of my deeds, I am fine with him putting up his own buildings, and will not even ask him for the building ownership. I do this knowing full well that eventually I will end up bashing the buildings down if he moves onto another game.

3 hours ago, Propheteer said:

+1 to demolish only.

+1

This is really the deeper need for a greater rework of deeds.  The allowance of people to "sub-deed" and not be held to the same standards as a traditional deed.  People need more security of their possessions not less.  A Maybe needs to be able to at the very least sub-rent a house, and if the owner fails to pay rent.  Then the house can be returned to the deed owner.   

if he's paid up for 6 months who cares when he last logged in.  Also I know many people who want their own deed because of fear of being robbed by someone they thought they could trust.

• Like 1

This is not really making the game "less safe and secure".

Deed owner can already bash every house on the deed, so if you think about it, all your stuff inside the house is not safe. Take down one wall and permissions don't work anymore.

This given suggestion would just make the process, uh, more environment friendly.

• Like 2

+1 to some kind of system to help this kinda broken in a way system. 

I like the sub leasing suggestion although i think much more thought would need to go into it. Not having writs to buildings should not stop mayors from expanding a deed or making modifications. The issue with having to have all writs is for that. Players want a sense of security so its hard for them to just give the mayor full rights and leave things like rares and scale sets in their house. On PVE it might not be as detrimental but in PVP it is. 

Last month on freedom with a deed I bought I spent a good 2 weeks bashing out walls and catapulting, was actually faster with the large maul taking out all the personal houses the owner of the deed had no writs for of players who no longer play. I wanted to resize the deed and really would of liked to incorporate 2 of the personal houses into the design, in the end they all had to go. There is no 'personal' security for homes when the mayor can do as they please with the large maul.

I have another freedom deed project coming up and will end up having to do the same thing again, but this next one is mostly wood structures so not a big deal to carve them down. Still be nice to be able to just click and take over the ownership as the mayor.

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 1

"hey there bud come move into my deed! thats it move in all your belongings. nice house you build there, i hope it keeps your stuff safe. *kicks villager, claims ownership, KOS's villager*  thanks for the stuff"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

"hey there bud come move into my deed! thats it move in all your belongings. nice house you build there, i hope it keeps your stuff safe. *kicks villager, claims ownership, KOS's villager*  thanks for the stuff"

As mayor you can bash the wall and take the stuff already, pointless point.

• Like 1

+1 Mayor should be able to claim ownership of any structure on deed area.

• Like 1

+1

I also spent the past few weeks bashing down some of the closer to 20 houses on the deed BrandonSF left me on Xana when he moved to Inde.

Don't know how many mauls my newbie Mayor has worn down so far and then there are still many houses left to bash.

I don't even want to think of the fences...

And I have other houses from lost villagers on my other deeds also, some that I'd prefer to keep.

Please, fix this for us, it seems more like a miss in the coding than a seriously intended function.

It is this kind of tedious work that tends to burn me out to the point where I don't even log in for a week, (yep, anyone wonder where I am, this is it, I needed some days off)

Edited by Cecci
added content
  • Like 3

Basically a good idea that does not go far enough. Only the deed Mayor should be able to hold Writs on their deed. This should be an automatic restriction that the game mechanics put in place so no player can complain to the Mayor that they are being unfair in some way for having all the Writs. There are actually no Writs in the game anyway now but rather the building owner is just recorded in ones profile and managed from there, so this Mayor owning all the Buildings ("Writs") fits right into the concept.

This means that only the Mayor would be able to start a new building and then allow a Villager to continue to build it. This eliminates the possibility of any Villager to start a house and thus be considered its owner. Then retrofit this into all existing deeds with some notice that all existing buildings will be transferred over to the Mayor at that time. Lets not forget that the Mayor is basically providing a free residence on their deed to Villagers, so if either they don't trust this Mayor or are ungrateful for this free residence and benefits that they should just move on elsewhere.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

On 8/25/2016 at 8:33 AM, Ayes said:

Basically a good idea that does not go far enough. Only the deed Mayor should be able to hold Writs on their deed. This should be an automatic restriction that the game mechanics put in place so no player can complain to the Mayor that they are being unfair in some way for having all the Writs. There are actually no Writs in the game anyway now but rather the building owner is just recorded in ones profile and managed from there, so this Mayor owning all the Buildings ("Writs") fits right into the concept.

This means that only the Mayor would be able to start a new building and then allow a Villager to continue to build it. This eliminates the possibility of any Villager to start a house and thus be considered its owner. Then retrofit this into all existing deeds with some notice that all existing buildings will be transferred over to the Mayor at that time. Lets not forget that the Mayor is basically providing a free residence on their deed to Villagers, so if either they don't trust this Mayor or are ungrateful for this free residence and benefits that they should just move on elsewhere.

=Ayes=

I really like this idea. But can not limit the new construction to just the mayor, as the mayor may be a priest or unavailable when a member would like to start new construction. Quite often mayors may find them selves on another server or gone for the holidays, or on a wurm break for other games. A village could experience a situation where the mayor just quits playing, but other village members may just keep the deed going regardless. If the ownership transferred to a inactive mayor, this could end any further construction on a deed due to a inactive mayor. This is why I felt just the option to assume ownership would be better.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2