Sign in to follow this  

header.png

Hi Everyone,

A bit of a sad week with the news of one of our GM team passing. We're reminded of the friendships and bonds we make in this game, and the memories we share.

This week has also seen several new YouTube videos too! Factional Fight looked at their underground setup, Emoo founded Fosters brewery and Shady Vale continues development, I'm keen to see how it goes!

But now, the news!

Passing of Duce

This week we received the news that a long time player, and member of the team, Duce (GM Baphomet) had passed away mid July. Many of you have already learned this and shared your thoughts and feelings, and there’s little we can say to add to the already amazing heartfelt memories and sentiments.

We’d like to honour Duces’ memory within the game, and I will be in discussion with the team in regards to how we can achieve this (I already asked, a giant lobster model is probably out of the question).

To those who haven’t already, feel free to read through the thread below and share any memories you have of him if you wish.

Cooking up a storm

As hinted at last week, we have some tidbits and teasers for the new cooking update in the works! The Factional Fight guys did theorise about some things, but are they correct? I managed to drag Tich from the kitchen for a few minutes to ask a few questions:

A lot of people have theorized that the new system will be aimed at improving food via spices and tools before cooking, is this close?
No, food will be prepared and then cooked, not improved prior to to cooking.

How will cooking change? Will it be meat + crops in a frypan still?
Cooking will be done with recipes, and there are recipes to be able to make meals like in the current method.

A lot of suggestions in the past have been about alcohol, will there be new methods of brewing?
There will be more alcoholic drinks, e.g. mead, beer.
still.jpg

A copper still

Mead? Does this mean there will there be honey?
Yes, there will be wild hives that appear during spring, and vanish in winter. These will slowly get honey and beeswax. But beware bees sting.

Will there be new crops to farm?
Yes, e.g. carrots and tomatoes.

Herbs are currently found via botanizing, a popular suggestion has been for the implementation of herb gardens, will herbs play an important part in cooking and will it be possible to farm them?
Not able to be farmed, but there will be planters that they can be planted in, which will produce herbs over time (for a while). These pots will also be able to be used to grow spices (well most of them).

How will we cook these foods?
There are different types of recipes,
ones that require using an item on an item, (e.g. making flour)
ones that require using an item on a container,  (e.g. making pastry)
ones that require a container to be heated (e.g. making bread)
and ones that take time (e.g. making wine)

Recipes that use a container, require a match of what is in the container to a recipe, and at the end of the action (whatever type that is), the contents of the container are replaced by the result item.

How will different foods benefit?
Each meal will have an associated Calories, Carbs, Fats and Proteins, these will give a bonus to various things. Also there is another bonus associated with meals that will give a timed affinity, this affinity can be different per person, and will depend on what cooker, container, and ingredients that are used.

Will skilling cooking be different in the future?
Only in the fact that you will not be able use nails...

Will this be any different in Wurm Unlimited?
For WU, they will be able to add their own recipes if they want to.

What is your favourite food?
Roast pork and all the trimmings.

After that she threatened me with a rolling pin, so I had to wrap the questioning up. Needless to say this is the tip of the iceberg of these changes. While we currently have no ETA on this update, I’ll be sure to delve into just what can be done as time goes on.

PvP Changes

We’ve continued to adjust, tweak and add to the PvP changes on the test server, with continued discussion with you all on what we want these changes to bring, as well as alternative ways of reaching those goals.

QoL Changes

We’ve plucked a few QoL suggestions from the suggestions board for the next update, mostly focusing around planting several different lighting sources, these include:

• Small copper braziers can be planted and turned now.

• Candelabras can be planted.

• Marble planters can be planted.

• Halter rope can be used to haul stuff up/down instead of rope.

• Hauling stuff up/down is now affected by deed speed bonus for item movement actions.

• Added Rift spawning message to Area History.

The next update is currently scheduled for Tuesday 16th August, pending testing goes well.

Community Content

Those of you who have been around for a while might remember just how fun it was to sail. Larger ships often felt like part mountain goat when hitting land, and I’m sure each of us has had a GM come out to pluck us off the side of a mountain once or twice.

This weeks’ screenshot is a throwback to that, with Ostentatio managing to beach a knarr and create an odd looking bridge to the house, so much nostalgia.

That’s it for this week, I’m sure that cooking info will have you all curious and wanting to know more, we'll continue to work hard on it!

Until next time, carry on Wurming!

Retrograde & The Wurm team.

• Like 30

Alright Now this is a update I cant wait to see. But may we all always remember the worthy Duce and how much he meant to us players and the game, Wurm itself.

Thanks, Zilbar

Edited by zilbar

Still waiting on QoL change to move more animals across water, lol

Great changes. I like the fact that the developers seem to be adding in age old ideas finally 

Sad to hear about Baphomet.

Good to hear about the improvements.  Very excited to see the new stuff coming!

good updates a coming.. finally the wurm chef in me will be able to cook something worthy.. look forward to it,. and all the little  bitties that come along with it.. looks like ill be dumping some more money in my wurm account as i can't build worth a sh!t as any friends can attest to..

The chef in me is getting very excited! :) Thanks for the info!

Looking great! Awesome work so far. :)

Edited by syncaidius

I am sure Tich will do a great job - as she always does !  (and does not get enough credit for all the stuff she has done and improved in this game...)

• Like 1

I made it into a news post! Thanks!

Seasonal beehives are interesting. I like the idea of more stuff we have to go out and search a bit for, although being able to keep bees on-deed would be nice.

Does the existence of distilling equipment (the copper still) imply distilled liquors/spirits in addition to mead, beer, and wine? I mean, the obvious answer would be "yes", I guess, but it wasn't mentioned explicitly.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

Will we able to throw tomatoes at other players without causing damage/combat?

Just for fun of course.

• Like 6

Really looking forward to that cooking update. Even just having the new crops will be something new and exciting for the farmer in me :D 

RIP Duce. I wasn't lucky enough to meet him in game, but been seeing a lot of people's memories shows how much a part of Wurm he was. :(

[EDIT: Ignore/delete me]

Edited by Ostentatio

oh god, please no more complexity for food, I already hate having to eat.

• Like 3

i really hope this doesnt mean saccing rares will become useless?

nothing against a more detailed food system, a lot of people will enjoy it. but i like my rock shards, they are delicious.

• Like 1

cabbage, carrots and tomatoes, hu?  I really hope the limit to only 16 different crop types is changed for WU modding. Given I see at least 3 new crops and there is only room for 2 it's a good sign at least.

18 minutes ago, Arium said:

i really hope this doesnt mean saccing rares will become useless?

nothing against a more detailed food system, a lot of people will enjoy it. but i like my rock shards, they are delicious.

I bet you will still be able to sac for 99% nutrition, you just won't get any of the affinities

With a variety of nutrious parameters,  I hope feeding a very fatty high carb diet will cause your character to visually become fat. And in turn, low carb high protein diet will slim back down. For the sake of variation of course.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1