Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

"Linking" with priests of different faith or filled gems or followers (Or knock down spell costs from 120 favor)

For healthier priest life!

Any of two, or both.

Oh yes, it would destroy ruin completely remove the market of battery priests (although you could still use them to raise difficulty and save time when grinding)

Another way to get around the issue, proposed by Gary:

On 12.08.2016 at 5:41 AM, MrGARY said:

Seeing how common lt/mind stealer is I'd rather just see the 120 favor spells knocked down to 80

Edit from the 7th of September:

Linking with priests of different faiths - another way to ease priest life that would not break a lot of things like previous 2 ideas (or not?).

Discuss?

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

Personally I would like the idea of the Altars being used as a focus and storage for deed favor.  This could be channeled via a linking between the priest and the altar with his statuette.  Any citizen could pray at an altar on deed and this could increase the favor of the deed.  To limit the abuse of this, simply make use the following equation:

A player with 30 Favor and 20 Prayer would increase the deed faith by the following

Current Player Favor * Prayer Skill = Deed Favor Increase

30 * 0.20 = 6 favor per prayer action

I also thing that the deed bonuses could be reworked to incorporate different faiths instead of different categories.

So instead of the standard faith deed bonuses. You have a Patron blessing (the God with the largest bonus), and the lesser Gods.

The Patron God, would provide a full bonus of deity aspects. in full effect while on deed.   Each faith would have several bonuses that would be activated based on the deed's deity favor.  Thus rewarding people who are active in their faith.

Vynora could have higher ranks of the XP bonus.  

First Rank: On-deed xp bonus is 5%

Second Rank: Bountiful Seas (gives a 10% chance to increase Fishing QL, Water crop harvest, Ship building)

Third Rank: On-deed xp bonus is 10%

Fourth Rank: Favorable Wind (10% speed bonus relating to winds) Patron Bonus only

Fifth Rank: On-deed xp bonus is 10%, and (Patron) xp bonus of 5% is given (totaling 15% while on deed, 5% off)

For lesser Deities, I would they would provide strictly on deed bonuses only, and then only if the power level was attained.

This construct would allow for multi-god towns, but there can only be 1 Patron and then the other gods.  Lastly I would suggest that towns need only have Altar per deed to attain the bonus.  This bonus would be across the entire deed.

Not just no but hell no.  I know that it is sometimes difficult to find someone to link to.  I know that is especially hard if you don't have many people that live near you because of the travel time in this game.  I do not think that we should be able to link to gems though.  As for the 2nd idea.  While I would like to see a deed bonus of some sort.  I'm not sure I'd like to see it related to a particular god.  Too many deeds run them with multiple gods and that would not be fair to limit them to only one.  This is a sandbox after all so we shouldn't be limiting how someone can play the game.

Seeing how common lt/mind stealer is I'd rather just see the 120 favor spells knocked down to 80

• Like 3

Honestly, the 120 favor enchants should be knocked down to something that can be cast by one priests (80 sounds reasonable, as Gary mentioned). This would especially help new players and groups who are trying to get priests but don't want to priest all of their accounts, as well as help mitigate the effect of decreased population on some servers. Beside that, I don't really see any legitimate need from a balance point of view for enchants to need multiple priests, especially at this point in the game.

However, certain non-enchant spells are absurdly powerful and should retain the high favor cost as a balancing factor (and arguably balanced further, but that's a different discussion) - Land of the Dead comes to mind here. For this reason, I don't think that linking with gems is a good idea.

4 hours ago, Pashka said:

Not just no but hell no.  I know that it is sometimes difficult to find someone to link to.  I know that is especially hard if you don't have many people that live near you because of the travel time in this game.  I do not think that we should be able to link to gems though.  As for the 2nd idea.  While I would like to see a deed bonus of some sort.  I'm not sure I'd like to see it related to a particular god.  Too many deeds run them with multiple gods and that would not be fair to limit them to only one.  This is a sandbox after all so we shouldn't be limiting how someone can play the game.

I simply listed that a deed would have a Patron, a god who's special bonus would be in effect even after the citizen leaves the deed.  All the other gods would still be active, but only allow the on-deed bonuses.   Choose your patron and any others as necessary.  The Gods are vain, greedy and fickle. :D

6 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Sure why not, since 120 favor spells were the exact problem i aimed my suggestion at, getting rid of the problem instead of inventing ways to solve it is quite enough ^_^

Of course, even if my suggestion sees the light on WO servers, the 300 favor spells should always keep the multiple priests' requirement.

Also please, don't associate OP with Tallios' idea.

8 hours ago, Pashka said:

Not just no but hell no.  ...  I do not think that we should be able to link to gems though.

But why?

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

I think you should be able to link to 1 gem, not multiple, and certainly not with other players at the same time.

Enchanting doesn't need to be any easier than it already is.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Enchanting doesn't need to be any easier than it already is.

Why not? Isn't this a bit of  a pay2win factor currently? People don't organize meetings where they can link and cast, they buy batteries and get the advantage. If they don't buy it but prefer to level one themselves, then they basically pay to prem up a char whose only purpose is standing in one place and sacrificing from time to time.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

So what... you want to take an 80 ql gem, fill it with favor, link to your 40 faith priest and cast LT?  For every LT cast?  Too costly.  Even more costly than "paying to win" and buying a battery.... which by the way not everyone does.

Two weeks to priest (from zero faith) and one solid weekend at a good sermon group will have you over 50 faith.

Either way, still cheaper than wasting gems.

Well, i have a 100 faith. Let's limit it to 100 faith priests. Don't just straight deny it, let's discuss the thing.

For instance, i was told that allowing linking to followers would be highly abusable for a large pool of free favor and free difficulty increase for easy channeling grind. Well... limit the number of follower links to 1 or 2 and make it so you couldn't switch to other freelos standing around regening favor (a cooldown?).

Now if we consider gems, well, they lose quality and such casting will too cost money, although would be easier to manage for a typical freedom carebear. Imho. Also variety doesn't hurt, does it?

Personally i now like Gary's post more. Plus it seems that 120 favor casts were designed to promote socializing. It didn't work. Why keep the cost?

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

I'm not sure that I agree with them being that cost to promote socializing.  I was always told that they were more because the spells were more powerful and as such needed that so they wouldn't be as easy to get.  I do see that the most called for spells on weapons are the ones that do cost that.  Why because they are the best.  I do know that many people have more than one priest for this reason.  I even have done that myself.  I am not sure what the answer is but I just really really do not think linking to followers or gems is the answer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Well, i have a 100 faith. Let's limit it to 100 faith priests. Don't just straight deny it, let's discuss the thing.

Not every priest has 100 faith.  Not even close.  In my experience of having ran the most successful sermon group on Xanadu for over a year, I can say with certainty that at least one of four priests left the group "content" with 70 faith (genesis, strongwall, etc).

80 faith or 100 faith aside, you're talking about linking to an object that loses it's power when you use it for favor.  You cast LT once as a 100 faith priest (with 100 favor I presume) and you're reducing the value of said gem by 10c.  I consider that an unacceptable cost for one attempt at casting MS or LT.

For instance, i was told that allowing linking to followers would be highly abusable for a large pool of free favor and free difficulty increase for easy channeling grind. Well... limit the number of follower links to 1 or 2 and make it so you couldn't switch to other freelos standing around regening favor (a cooldown?).

You can link to followers.  It's called priesting.  When you de-priest your follower, it only takes about a week to get back to 30 faith again, because they get knocked down to 20, not zero faith.  If you have 2-3 toons then you can use them interchangeably, but for the sake of sleep bonus regeneration, generally once a week fulfills my needs because it takes my priest 5 days to regenerate sleep bonus.

Now if we consider gems, well, they lose quality and such casting will too cost money, although would be easier to manage for a typical freedom carebear. Imho. Also variety doesn't hurt, does it?

Maybe for a freedomer that's content with a 32 power LT cast... but that's an even smaller minority than the minority you claim that doesn't have 100 faith.

And yes, variety does hurt, as this one would have massive PvP repercussions.  For example, I could cast Light of Fo as a 33 faith Fo/Tosiek priest in the heat of battle, because I'm carrying around a vesseled gem.

In conclusion: it's not economical, it reduces the player count, it severely breaks PvP combat, it further trivializes sermon groups.

29 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Not every priest has 100 faith

Oh i understand that majority doesn't.  But using favor above your pool size can sound like a (little) top end feature, and most WO players probably like to grind.

Maybe for a freedomer that's content with a 32 power LT cast...

It doesn't take too many tries to get a 70+ cast on a 60 difficulty spell with decent channeling... inb4 not every priest has decent channeling. And according to this

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/142401-wu-datamining/

the average cast power at 90 channeling is 43.

it reduces the player count

Did you just call alt count the player count?

All in all, i have to admit i don't consider my suggestion really good now (damn you paper PvP mechanics that get ruined beyond repair by a lightest breeze). But i still believe the situation should be looked at, it's not very healthy, and this could be one of the ways to revitalize it.

Or just reduce the spell cost.

PS: anotehr matter to think of: gem market is dead now

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

reduce favor cost to 80 and maybe increase difficulty by like 20 if casting without being linked

don't really need to keep battery alts around anymore and people can still link with their friends or whatever the ###### they do if they want easier casting

I don't like the gems idea

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Oh i understand that majority doesn't.  But using favor above your pool size can sound like a (little) top end feature, and most WO players probably like to grind.

And once again, would seriously break PvP.

It doesn't take too many tries to get a 70+ cast on a 60 difficulty spell with decent channeling... inb4 not every priest has decent channeling. And according to this

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/142401-wu-datamining/

the average cast power at 90 channeling is 43.

As you clearly know nothing more than you have read about enchanting, I will not argue this point.

Did you just call alt count the player count?

As I play the same alt (priest) about 90% of the time that my main is online... yes... I did.  Feel free to twist my words however you'd like.

All in all, i have to admit i don't consider my suggestion really good now. But i still believe the situation should be looked at, it's not very healthy, and this could be one of the ways to revitalize it.

Or just reduce the spell cost.

Ummm, like I said in my original post, enchanting does not need to be made any easier.  If it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it... but the sad part is that anyone with ONE priest and two accounts with half of a clue can still cast LT and MS. 

Seriously... both suggestions are about as dumb as allowing a 30 Weaponsmith to "link" with a 90 ql piece of iron to produce their own 90 ql weapons.  Yeah, it's just that dumb.

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Ummm, like I said in my original post, enchanting does not need to be made any easier.  If it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it... but the sad part is that anyone with ONE priest and two accounts with half of a clue can still cast LT and MS. 

You mean the 80 faith/30 faith quick priest/de-priest exploit?  Never tried it, seemed like an exploit.

4 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Seriously... both suggestions are about as dumb as allowing a 30 Weaponsmith to "link" with a 90 ql piece of iron to produce their own 90 ql weapons.  Yeah, it's just that dumb.

You'd have a valid point, if magic on wurm worked like every other skill which...  It doesn't.

• Like 1

It's not an exploit.  As a follower with 30 faith, you can become a priest at any time.  Just have your actual priest convert you.

Once that's done, get your casting/skillgrinding/LTcasting out of the way, and then de-priest your follower by purposefully breaking priest restrictions (like building a house).  You get de-priested, knocked down to 20 faith from 30, and in a week of praying you can re-priest again.

The faith reduction to 20 is how the game prevents this from being exploited.... instead of a priest being placed at 29.75 faith and being able to re-priest with a couple of prayers. 

TL:DR, it's perfectly legit.

12 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

As you clearly know nothing more than you have read about enchanting, I will not argue this point.

ok

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

It's not an exploit.  As a follower with 30 faith, you can become a priest at any time.  Just have your actual priest convert you.

Once that's done, get your casting/skillgrinding/LTcasting out of the way, and then de-priest your follower by purposefully breaking priest restrictions (like building a house).  You get de-priested, knocked down to 20 faith from 30, and in a week of praying you can re-priest again.

The faith reduction to 20 is how the game prevents this from being exploited.... instead of a priest being placed at 29.75 faith and being able to re-priest with a couple of prayers. 

TL:DR, it's perfectly legit.

I think it would just be nicer if you could link to followers. just my thoughts.

Also I believe you are limited in link's by channel skills.

Edited by Tallios

It takes about 3 seconds to convert your follower to a priest.  Really not hard.  Activate statuette, follower types "/invitations", right click, "Become a Priest". 

Done.