Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Wurm in 4k?

First of all... I never realized just how beautiful this game was until today.

I bought a laptop with a 15.6" 4k screen and it blew me away how many details I had missed by playing with a large 1080p monitor (pretty poor quality one at that) for so many years. I was skeptical of 4k and how much better things could possibly look, but every edge is razor sharp, even in a game like Wurm that wasn't designed for it.

It runs pretty smooth too. 30fps+ with near max settings. I kind of splurged on the specs, but just imagine what a desktop with the new 1080s could do.

My only issue is with the GUI.

Many applications weren't built with 4k in mind...Wurm is no exception. By using text scaling in the settings screen, I can increase the text to a somewhat readable size. Other GUI elements not so much. Things like the compass and health bar seem capped at a 1080p resolution, as they appear 4x smaller than usual.

Does anyone else have experience with playing Wurm at 4k, or at least know of a way to scale the UI elements?

when I purchased my 28" 4K monitor I remember thinking "holy crap, how am I going to be able to read everything!"

I usually play in a 1080 window because of recording anyways, but, when I want the fullscreen experience, 4k is still nice as long as I don't have to read chats.

I don't scale anything, in fact, ive been playing like this for almost a year, I make everything as small as possible so I have more screen to view the game and not the gui. Ill try to remember to take a picture when I get home tomorrow.

• Like 1

I run WO in 2K because the gui is too tiny in 4K (49")
even at 2560x1440 it's difficult to read.

The launcher is even worse, but that's already got a more UHD friendly frontend on the unstable client.

I don't know what to suggest, i've maxed out my fonts... that helped alot but it doesn't affect all elements.

7 hours ago, MootRed said:

when I purchased my 28" 4K monitor I remember thinking "holy crap, how am I going to be able to read everything!"

I usually play in a 1080 window because of recording anyways, but, when I want the fullscreen experience, 4k is still nice as long as I don't have to read chats.

I don't scale anything, in fact, ive been playing like this for almost a year, I make everything as small as possible so I have more screen to view the game and not the gui. Ill try to remember to take a picture when I get home tomorrow.

Yeah, it is great for walking around but that's about all I could do. It was on a 4k 15" laptop screen, so the UI elements were TINY.

I would imagine a 4k 30" plus would be playable, although you would still have to sit way too close.

The game looked great in 4k though and ran way better than I thought it would.

It was a pretty expensive laptop...but still, a laptop running Wurm at 4k, never thought that would be possible a few years ago when my desktop struggled with 1080p at med settings.

Pics would be nice, although for others without a 4k screen it wont do it justice :)

Actually a single gtx 1060 over here is enough to play on the highest settings with 4xSSAA turned on @ 4k resolution. Getting anywhere from 50 to 70 fps. 

About the scaling, some of the GUI needs scaling options I've noticed too, but putting text size higher makes everything else big enough to play on.

• Like 1

as already mentioned, the referenced image has, the fonts maxed.
`putting text higher` doesn't help the crafting interface.
but that's ok because deedplanner is also impossible to use at this resolution so at least we're on the same page.

I now have 2 play modes. mess about in 4k.. or get some work done in 1080p

Seems like some text just doesn't scale with the rest, yeah. I'd hope that's fixable without too much work.

Of course, then you have the question of what to do about static graphics (imp icons, compass, etc.). I see two possible solutions, one easier than the other:

1. Draw new, higher-res graphics for everything and let us do more size-toggling than we can now. This is probably ideal.
  2. Add a global "larger GUI" option that just doubles the size of all those elements pixel-by-pixel. Not as ideal, but a good stopgap.
Edited by Ostentatio

it doesn't. the screenie was taken with the unstable client.
launcher and settings GUI is much more UHD friendly, but what you see is what you get.

note- the new render engine does, look, brilliant in UHD. aside from the paint-bug issue. 
but it doesn't improve the GUI scaling in-game nor the crafting interface's obliviousness.

Edited by Steveleeb

On 05/10/2016 at 10:11 AM, Budda said:

This brings us to November, and the next series of projects after the cooking update is finished and live. Most of these have been started on in some form already, but will be the main focus for the months following the cooking update:

• In-Game UI Overhaul
  • Tutorial Revamp
  • New Web Based Account System
  • Updated Web Shop

These projects are massive undertakings in themselves, and we will all be working on bringing these long desired systems and updates into the game, with the aim of these projects to allow greater account control, easier play ingame, and a more informative and engaging tutorial.

Bump! It's terrible trying to play 4k. :(

wurm.20170401.1553.jpg

I mean if you have time adding lawn gnomes riding horses equipped with full animations, then I don't think a client adjustment would be too hard. :D

• Like 5

This game really needs UI update for 4k resolution :S

wurm.20170507.0033_1_zpsdnrheelt.jpg

• Like 2

pls I want to play again :(

Xallo, read through the posts. 
codeclub are already working on a GUI revamp. nothing can be enacted by your plead other than stress. 
as you've read i too have a need for GUI Scaling, till then i play in 2K with max fonts. It's being worked on.

Change your desktop resolution to 1920x1080, play Wurm, change it back when you're done.  Easy!

Current rumor from Retrograde is they are currently redoing (maybe minor things) the GUI for Wurm.  Don't know a timeline, but...we can hope.

10 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Current rumor from Retrograde is they are currently redoing (maybe minor things) the GUI for Wurm.  Don't know a timeline, but...we can hope.

Definitely absolutely undoubtedly NOT minor things.

4k support will also be a part of that

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Definitely absolutely undoubtedly NOT minor things.

4k support will also be a part of that

This is very exciting to hear. I can't wait to see what is being worked on in the gui department. When can we expect to start seeing teasers and hints into the gui plans? Will we get a chance to give feedback at some point?

• Like 1

Fyi, this is what happens when you play "Fullscreen" selected at 1080p (while 4k on the desktop, still).

What I see (yes, I know, picture of my monitor). Note the cursor location:

20170509_205315.jpg

This is what my computer "thinks" is happening, but not what I see:

Screenshot%202017-05-09%2020.48.56.jpg

Maybe this helps.... :) 

Edited by Xallo

12 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

This is very exciting to hear. I can't wait to see what is being worked on in the gui department. When can we expect to start seeing teasers and hints into the gui plans? Will we get a chance to give feedback at some point?

At the moment we're still in framework and discovery phase, cataloging ideas and desires from the past (as well as peeking over other games shoulders). there's a lot to be done though, and we will be going through feedback rounds to make sure it suits people, as it will be a total replacement of all existing UI's

• Like 2

I hope there's a basic version such as the light classic we have now.. cause it's the only gui i like in wurm.  Please don't create something flashy like the Ironwood theme.  Or, give us options.

Any update on the new GUI? Could there at least be a temporary fix that allows you to resize some things like local list, item icons, health bar, toolbelt, etc until things are fixed? That would pretty much solve everything..... for now.

Edited by Xallo