Sign in to follow this  
Enki

~~~ Duce ~~~ 1972 - 2016

I have known Duce only for a very short time, but he was one of the nicest players I have ever met. When I was in JK he helped me as a player, when I was in MR, he helped me as a GM when I had issues. This man was a rolemodel for every single pvp player. I'm gonna miss you man, rest in peace.

• Like 1

Very sad news, you'll be missed here. I never really got to know him well but from my interactions with him through the years of playing Wurm I can only say that he was a great guy

My condolences to his family and close friends.

Sad news indeed! :(

I didn't get to know Duce very well, but I always respected him as a fellow staff member and an experienced elder. It was fun chatting with him, smirking at his small impish remarks, or watch him playing little tricks. You just had to love him for witty lines like these (taken completely out of context):

<Duce> Well, it's always good to wake up as you in the mornings

<Duce> my cat shit in my slippers.  This is a full fledged war.

<Duce> like I've always said, Wurm is the work simulator for people too lazy to go outdoors

<Duce> I am the wrong guy to play wurm, really

<Duce> when it comes to forums stuff, I'm like a drunken monkey juggling fireworks

<Duce> I always told him [Rolf] he should call himself "The Legendary Starbolt"

<Duce> next time he logs in he should have 50 "Young Peckerhead the Chicken" running around
<Duce> if I don't ever leave, I'll never have problems rejoinining

Duce, you did not really leave us, as you will always be remembered. Rest in peace.

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 7

This is absolutely saddening....   I remember talking with Duce on many occasions while I played on Wild/Chaos.  He was a good guy and I really looked up to him during those days.  I'l be keeping him and his family in my prayers today.

Wow.. :(

):

My condolence for one that lend me and yurik his old house and been patient even thought I pile up corpses on the garden. My time in Kyara has been great mainly because Duce as a host is very welcoming and selfless, even when he probably know we won't stay JK forever.

And it was because he make sure our time is great there that I did this one two years ago:

kyara.jpg

This news really sad and back to reminding me how tight knitted we are as community even thought we tends to fight with each others in drama.

regards,

rose

• Like 4

rest in peace Duce you will be truely missed. 

(so young wtf)

I met Duce when join JK, awasome guy! We will miss you Duce!

Duce you made us laugh with all your stories, and always funny to read your messages in chat, the quotes thread will be quiet without you.

You were always straight to the point but were a decent guy, from the time I first came to JK where you helped my daughter in-game with all the pets to keep her happy to the last time we went to get the drunkard title and I screwed up and drank the 40kg of wine in your house.

You always did stuff to help others in-game and I'm sure you won't be forgotten. RIP Duce.

• Like 2

My first impression of Duce was on a GM call, he helped me out with my missing writs, then proceeded to spend the next 2 hours chatting with my neighbour, a former Kyaran.

As many of you have already said, Duce was always happy to chat, and share stories about his time in Wurm (Spider being a dual champion is one of my favourites). The team, Jenn-Kellon, and the game have all lost a valuable member and our condolences are with his family.

He may be gone, but I can guarantee he will never be forgotten by us.

• Like 7

Wow I'm shocked, like so many others I really did not see that coming by any length. Duce for me was always the guy on the otherside of the fence in terms of playing on Chaos, it's impossible to have played on the server without in some way or another either directly or indirectly being influenced by the guy.  Without him the server would be completely different, he in my mind is one of the most single influential players to have ever set foot on the server. His presence is simply unavoidable, over the years as I played more and more on the server we would often disagree over things or just share friendly chats but he was always one to be himself and never pretend to be anything else. It didn't matter what the topic was he would not shy away from giving his thoughts on the matter regardless of the outcome. A trait which I immensely respected.

You only have to listen to how his kingdom mates would defend his reputation when slighted or how they glowed with praise when he was mentioned in conversation. The is little doubt there are few that could say they have helped their kingdom as much as Duce helped JK. My sincere condolences go to his family and close friends during this tough time and I think I can safely say that the wider Wurm community will also miss him and we are certainly less for being without him. 

Rest in Peace.

• Like 7

R.I.P. Old buddy~ Will miss story time with Duce.

<Duce> no one grinds like Dadd
<Duce> more machine than man, Dadd

<Duce> we helped create the monster we're up against, but in the end the code is all janky

<Duce> never realized 90ql shields go for 1.5s on Freedome
<Duce> I could be a f###### millionaire

<Duce> I remember rolling past PO one day, they are all calling each other the N word in local throwing eggs at each other

<Duce> if I ever say I'm buying another English car, someone shoot me in the face

<Duce> hmm, someone on my steam friends list with the name Tampon Whistle
<Duce> goddamned fernando I bet

<Duce> he'll be fine, he usually operates fairly well under blind luck anyways

<Duce> did Gavin give you the trolling title
<Doctorchaos> https://twitter.com/wildserv1
<Gavin> haha
<Duce> I remember when Bry posted something and Horton Pm'ed him to tell him how much Bry had hurt his feelings

• Like 8

I only spoke to him a few times, but he was always knowledgeable and helpful. This is very sad to hear. My deepest and most sincere condolences' to his friends and family.

Damn, Duce - the staff pub won't be the same without you.  As Lemmy from Motörhead said, "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life," and that's always how I remember you. 

• Like 2

I never met or had dealings with Duce, but from what I have read here, particularly these quotes below, he sounds like he was a terrific fella and a great role model for Wurm players and one to be liked, admired and respected.

4 hours ago, Samusen said:

We all knew that while he was a strong individual, his kindness was the strongest of all.

22 minutes ago, hemrzz said:

<Duce> if I ever say I'm buying another English car, someone shoot me in the face

2 hours ago, Yaga said:

<Duce> like I've always said, Wurm is the work simulator for people too lazy to go outdoors

My thoughts are with his family and friends and I am sure his "crossing the event horizon"* was easy and pleasant, as he was obviously a kind person, who wore the world "like a loose garment", with to-the-point humour.

* an interesting book by Jonathan Zapp btw.

• Like 1

You will be missed Duce.

I'll share my own Duce quote, from when I very first joined the team. I can't remember the context for the life of me, but Duce had his own context most of the time.

[03:53:04] <+Duce> at this point, it's like playing pick up sticks with your arse cheeks
[03:53:40] <+Duce> frustrating, difficult, but hey, you'll get the hang of it eventually

• Like 10

This is shocking news. Makes me feel very sad. He will be greatly missed.

R.I.P. Duce.

I am shocked and deeply saddened by this news, Wurm, and the world, has lost a truly great person. :(

My thoughts go out to his family and friends in these difficult times.

Rest In Peace Duce, you'll be greatly missed.

• Like 1

Here is one reason why reputation can be so important. I never had any interaction with him but had just a ton of respect because he was universally respected by so many others. I heard stories of how generous and giving he was - respectful and respected.

my condolences to his family, in-game and out.

This was indeed sad news.  As an enemy there was always the heated debates, mud slinging, and banter but it was only in game - beyond that we had alot in common when it came to interest and topics.  Sadly i regret not being able to finish my last conversation with him as i was out for a while myself.....

RIP

• Like 2

:( Another wurmian gone. He will be greatly missed. RIP sweet Duce.

I never had any contact with Duce during my time in Wurm, however, from what I have read here makes me  feel that I did know him. I am genuinely sad at his passing. He was obviously a huge character and a person much loved by many people. Best wishes to his family and friends.

Rest in Peace 

I'm gonna miss his influence, him quietly giving away his own smithing tools and gear to new recruits, his stories, and crafting without enchants himself. I don't know any guys who reached near 100 black smithing without coc or sleep bonus. It doesn't feel real still, after so many years I keep expecting him to make a post somewhere or log in for a few minutes. I enjoyed and will miss his genuine personality and interest in 'the new guys'.

• Like 7