Sign in to follow this  
Enki

~~~ Duce ~~~ 1972 - 2016

Wow this news actually hurts

The amount of stories and wonderful memories I have had talking with Duce can't be summed up with just one quote to his memory.  Duce was hands down the best guy I've played around since I've joined Wurm Online back in 2005-2006.  Any JK person can tell you he was the man, either with a crazy story, how helpful he was with getting you anything you needed, or most likely both.  I've seen Wurmians come and go, some actually passing away while playing or after they've left the game.  Every time its sad and makes us remember that what we're doing is playing a videogame and are actually a person on the other side of the screen.  Not only is it a sad day for the people who played with Duce, but its a sad day for Wurm Online as a whole.  Duce would go out of his way to help anyone that asked for it.  Even though he was apart of the staff he was a very quirky unique guy that left an impression on you, 

R.I.P. Duce, a friend, a complete badass, and above all else a man people should always look up to.  Only wish I could talk to you more.

• Like 16

I only really knew Duce as staff - but as staff it was immediately and always clear what a stand-up guy he was. 

Always looking out for good, and had a relentlessness for standing up for what was right and making sure the good won out.

Maybe, as others had said, a bit rough on the outside at first, but a really wonderful kind heart inside.

The first time (that I can recall atm) of having any extended conversation was him was when I was a brand new newbie GM trainee (for reference, this is not a "real" GM yet).  I had been hounding all the big/real GMs with all sorts of questions "how this" "what about that"  "theoretically...?" etc...  Duce extended me an offer to do some training with him - which I took him up on the next day.  Spent a good chunk of time talking me through some basics, simulating a few "practice" situations, giving advice and humoring all my questions.  So patient and so helpful.  I think I will always think specifically of him, and back to that training, any time I answer certain types of tickets.

I will miss him. I kept thinking last night how I will never get hear his input on issues, or his sometimes "unique" antics and stories again.  Reading through the replies, all the lines quoted make me smile, a bittersweet smile - but a reminder of Duce.

I know he had some health concerns, and I hope he is finally at peace.  Maybe, just maybe, even looking down on us from the heavens now as he did as a GM in Wurm.

If his family and "real life" friends ever happen to find this thread -  I offer my sincere condolences on your loss, he was a good guy.  We will all miss him.

• Like 9

I didn't know Duce well, but I respected him.  He seemed a voice of blunt reason, much like the human equivalent of a large maul.

Rest in peace, man--you've more than earned it.

• Like 1

Duce .. was a tough guy, with a soft and kind heart.

He always made me smile with his stories and his "whines" about his cat (yes, tough guys have cats, too!!), he was always ready to give a helping hand (even when that meant to drop anything else) when someone was in need, he was .. it sounds very odd to say "he was".

He will always be one of Wurm's legends, he will always be a part of this community, he will always be remembered.

Rest in peace, Duce! You will be sorely missed.

• Like 4

To any staff that see this and could pass it along...

Would it be too much to ask for a 24hour suspension on all pvp on Wild so that those who knew Duce could erect a Colossus or some other project in his honor?  Perhaps, sometime this weekend, so that more can help.  This would give even his sworn enemies in other kingdoms the chance to pitch in safely and let everyone participate.

• Like 6

Sleep well my friend. Thank you for the endless stories and memories; for helping me when I first set foot onto Wild and all the times since. Thank you for being there when the people needed things; for being the man that 'got ###### done' when there was too much who-haring around.  Thank you for sticking too it when things got tough and being there until the end.

I could fill this post up with many more appreciations, or with multiple Duce logs but it would go on forever.

See you on the other side, where I hope to hear more stories and shenanigans.

Edited by MetalDragon
  • Like 6

Wow, words cannot express. Many, many hours spent hanging in Kyara simply chatting, with the game itself as more of a side attraction. 8 years nearly he came to us, just wow... The server and game will not be the same.

The people here are real, and finite. Be nice to one another.

• Like 4

Although my interactions with the guy were so limited, few chats, few trades, every interaction was great. Fun to chat to, all round generous decent guy.

Sad to hear of his passing, may he rest in peace.

• Like 1

I am not sure how to respond, I lack Duce way with with words. You will be missed my friend. Say hi to the other old farts up there. Duce was considering making a wurm meeting in Las Vegas, as a sequal to Amsterdam, when that was up. Maybe that would be an event to consider in the future, to drink for and salute old farts.

• Like 7

I can still remember as a fresh wurmian how he helped out our small area we lovingly called wolf hill with small things fishing rods and such.

As a new player that is huge, i have always tried to live by the same filosofy. Helping with the small things that matter alot more then one might think.

He will missed by alot of players. Maybe not as much by the "newer" players but by us "oldtimers" he will be missed alot.

Edited by Daash
  • Like 2

To live on in the hearts of those around you is to never die.  Duce lives on.

Shocked and deeply saddened by this news. Men like Duce are true treasures. We are all poorer for his passing. 

You will be always in my heart

Rest in peace my friend

• Like 1

Sad news, and I share the sentiments that so many colleagues have so aptly stated.

Duce was the only guy I know of who tried breeding dragons back when Kyara had captured both the Black and White.  He didn't succeed, but the screenshots were epic!

[20:43:44] <Duce> I want to pee in the dead sea before I die, long term goal

I hope your wish came true, my oddball friend.

• Like 6

I tried to pretend this was all just a bad joke for a bit, but here it is in my face.   

It makes me happy to see the fond words that are being used in regards to an old friend. He and I lived on JK home for a few years as neighbors when i joined the staff. He used to rib me so hard about the 'cluster###### of monkeys' that must be running things, telling me i was batshit crazy to join Wurm staff. Then he moved to Kyara and started convincing me to come over. 

Many a late night we had discussing anything under the sun while building those walls.  just a bunch of 'old men looking for a porch' he would say.  DreamMaster,  Inacron, Duce and I just babbeling about anything; and nothing. enjoying the conversations as we stared at our forges, banging out gear for the fighters.   Duce was always my number one go to guy for confirming screwy bugs or exploits.... he had a knack for it.   took me a good year to convince he to join the team, and from the remarks you all have left; a well chosen path for him.

Over the years, we all make great friends on the internet, that others may not consider real because we have never met them face to face. I call BS. it hurt when i found out he had passed, but reading this topic has made me smile again.

Rest in peace you crotchety ol bastard. i hope you finally got that rocking chair. 

• Like 8

I don't know where to begin, as i'm truly speechless after hearing this sad news....

Duce was a one of a kind, someone you'd be lucky to have met in your lifetime and i'm truly grateful for having known him. His generosity and kindness, among many other great qualities, were what made him well-liked and widely respected by any player who had the honor of being acquainted with him. Whether it was handling support tickets on his GM toon or assisting JK on his in-game account, he was devoted to helping out in any way he could to keep us at ease. He'd log in for a few minutes to take care of kingdom requests (mostly shield imps), then he'd rush off to handle what seemed to be an endless amount of GM work. It's truly inspiring looking back at what he's done for this community and seeing all the people he's touched over the years. 

The loss of Duce will weigh heavy on our hearts here in JK, and it will never quite be the same without him popping in to ramble off some silly comments or tell one (or a few) of his many comical stories. We lived for it, and it's one of the things I will miss most about him. 

Words cannot express how much I will miss Duce, and I feel it's only appropriate in this time of remembrance to share some of my fondest memories of him throughout the years:

[2016-05-15] [09:24:05] <Duce> a wise man doesn't stick his ass into the wind, even if he's got a case of toxic farts

Duce's ropemaking:

Spoiler

[2014-06-23] [14:14:10] <Duce> my ropemaking is 96 vs. my 59 cloth tailoring

[2014-06-23] [14:15:00] <Duce> no one with an IQ higher than his shoe size would have grinded this

Old school Duce:

Spoiler

[2014-06-25] [15:09:22] <Duce> I've been accused of being old school, and it's not far off the truth
[2014-06-25] [15:09:53] <Duce> never used a bind, don't use SB on anything but meditation, and only recently started using a toolbelt

[2015-03-07] [18:31:15] <Duce> my imp record on bs items is only at 99.17ql atm

[2015-03-07] [18:31:58] <Duce> rare needle, that one.  And I did it with 78ql tools

Functional buff for 90 med?:

Spoiler

[2015-09-04] [00:17:48] <Duce> is there any fucntional buff at 90 med for lovepath
[2015-09-04] [00:18:00] <Duce> like, can I fart rainbows or anything, even

Fez's PvP soundtrack:

Spoiler

[2015-02-28] [17:15:45] <Duce> you could listen to fez's pvp soundtrack

[2015-02-28] [17:16:17] <Duce> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY 

[2015-02-28] [17:16:43] <Duce> all JK pvp videos should be set to that for sheer annoyance factor

[2015-02-28] [17:17:02] <Duce> you can't get that goddamned song out of your head for days after hearing it

Duce's puppet shows:

Spoiler

[2015-03-03] [21:15:33] <Duce> I love the vy vs lib puppet dialog
[2015-03-03] [21:15:47] <Duce> it's like a BSDM ropelay
[2015-03-03] [21:15:52] <Duce> roleplay

[2015-03-03] [21:16:20] <Duce> [19:16:10] Your Libila puppet: 'Wait. I will hit you again!'  [19:16:15] Your Vynora puppet: 'Aooo! Aiie!'  [19:16:20] Your Libila puppet: 'And again!'

[2015-03-03] [21:16:41] <Duce> [19:16:25] Your Vynora puppet: 'Noo please stop!'  [19:16:35] Your Vynora puppet: '.. please..'  [19:16:40] Your Libila puppet: 'Haha! Hahaha!'

[2015-03-03] [21:17:00] <Duce> the fo vs vy ones are skeevey
[2015-03-03] [21:17:22] <Duce> fo and vy are supposedly brother and sister, and vy makes accusations against for that he's nailed the lady of the lake
[2015-03-03] [21:17:30] <Duce> against fo*

[2015-03-03] [21:18:15] <Duce> Your Vynora puppet: 'Have you met the Lady of the lake yet?' Your Fo puppet: 'I have met her.' Your Vynora puppet: 'Did she please you?'

[2015-03-03] [21:18:31] <Duce> Your Fo puppet: 'She was very forthcoming, if I may say.' Your Vynora puppet: 'Ooh, now what does that mean?' Your Fo puppet: 'I will not elaborate. What do you insinuate?'

[2015-03-03] [21:18:48] <Duce> Your Vynora puppet: 'Oh, nothing. Nothing at all!' Your Fo puppet: 'Don't get into deep water now!' Your Vynora puppet: 'Oh I know who was in deep water! Haha!'

Duce's gallbladder:

Spoiler

[2015-08-20] [00:14:00] <Duce> they finally agreed to let me keep the gallbladder they are planning on removing, so all good
[2015-08-20] [00:14:30] <Duce> by this time tomorrow night I'll have my gallbladder in a pickle jar on my fireplace mantle
[2015-08-20] [00:14:56] <Duce> I paid for it, I'm ###### keeping the thing

Wilders dislike Xanadu:

Spoiler

[2016-02-16] [18:24:54] <Duce> we like big maps, but most wilders I know dislike Xanadu

[2016-02-16] [18:25:17] <Duce> it's like trying to ride a unicycle through texas

[2016-02-16] [18:25:29] <Duce> miserable, lonely and dull

Bicycle polo is a sport:

Spoiler

[2016-05-21] [15:29:28] <Duce> bicycle polo is actually a sport, eh
[2016-05-21] [15:29:39] <Duce> just got an invite to come play it
[2016-05-21] [15:30:01] <Duce> Sir, I won't ever be sober enough to play that invented sport

[2016-05-21] [15:31:51] <Duce> it's like trying to pick up chopsticks with your ass cheeks and calling it an Olympic sport
[2016-05-21] [15:32:19] <Duce> it's not art, it's not fun, it's just a time wste that isn't overly attractive to even perverts like me

A few of my favorite Duce stories:

Spoiler

[2014-10-28] [23:59:40] <Duce> reminds me of the Madt smite incident
[2014-10-29] [00:00:03] <Duce> Zarni, Taya and Balmore showed up at Kyara, like 7 of us were out at Vean's, trying to kill them
[2014-10-29] [00:00:21] <Duce> Taya was in scale and stacked avenger and Chancellor, couldn't even dent him
[2014-10-29] [00:00:40] <Duce> Madt gets all worked up - this is when Zarni had that insane crocodile
[2014-10-29] [00:01:05] <Duce> ven champ.  Madt starts screaming in village chat "OMG I AM SMITING ZARNICROC!!!"
[2014-10-29] [00:01:21] <Duce> we were not paying attention, but then we saw
[2014-10-29] [00:01:34] <Duce> "Madt blesses Venerable Champion Crocodile"

[2016-02-07] [00:32:11] <Duce> one day fern made these dog statues, and pushed them all together at Nosyt's so the dogs looked like they we all humping in a row

[2016-02-07] [00:32:59] <Duce> he logs on, she gets out the maul, blows a hole in his house, pushes them in, then beat him within an inch of his life

[2016-04-11] [20:04:21] <Duce> my favorite memory is still when me and Gavin went to pick up a dragon at Gedd's
[2016-04-11] [20:04:42] <Duce> he was so worried we'd get ganked and lose the Crown
[2016-04-11] [20:05:08] <Duce> so I told him I'd come along, and grabbed Puddles, my 100 foot long croc
[2016-04-11] [20:05:40] <Duce> just 2 guys out walking their pets, a champ croc and a venerable black dragon

• Like 19

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

I am happy to see Duce so well loved and respected.

• Like 3

RIP Duce, You will be missed.

I don't think I have anything to add beyond what has already been said in this thread. 

Duce was respected, well liked by so many.

You will be missed so very much!

RIP

You will be missed Duce.

We won't be the same without ya

• Like 1

Such sad news :(. Did not see this coming. Just a few minutes ago I was on youtube watching some very old wild videos. I was telling myself how much i miss this game and the players. I was thinking about jumping on a character and visiting my place of origin like Gold coast, HoM, Eden and some of the war deeds. Then i got on the forums and saw this post. I'm very sad to hear this.

Duce was a well respected player, which meant a lot on the pvp servers. R.I.P Duce. 

• Like 1

Damn Duce... Their are some people in this game who truly make an impact. Duce was one those guys. Him and Dadd are the literal Benchmarks to what a good wurm play is and looks like. It's crazy how friendships are forged in such a virtual world that have such an impact on our physical one. I know if I lost one the good friends I met through this game, it'd tear me to pieces as the passing of Duce has done so many here. 

The guy will be missed, I am sure the JK guys are planning something very good for the old man. He will be spoken about for many years to come in this game. 

Rest easy old man. Wild won't be the same anymore without ya.

-On a serious note: It sounds weird but when you write your will, think about your friends you have forged relationships with here. Not saying "leave" them something but when people go missing it makes people raise an eye. I could of sworn old man Wintersolstice passed away years ago but when I logged in few weeks back to see him logged in and he said "Its me you bastard, its really me" it was a bursting moment of joy for me to know the old man was still kicking. I'm saying if this is important to you, make note of it, how will your virtual world be affected? Me personally, inside an envelope their is my life insurance, my will, some letters, and then a envelope with a password sheet and a letter. Inside that letter it details what to do with my accounts, who to contact, etc. Why? Because some of the people I have met in my virtual world affect my physical world so deeply more so then people in the physical world have ever or would ever affect them. So if this might be a final lesson we can draw from Duce, don't leave your friends hanging. The old man passed July 18th and we are finding out a week shy from a month, later. His friends were on the fence of "well maybe?" and that is a shitty feeling to have. 

Again rest easy old man and condolences to the family, he was defiantly a great guy and a pleasure to know.

• Like 10

Spoiler

[16:54:02] <Duce> don't neglect your puppeteering skill
[16:54:13] <Lau> I heard that's extremely important
[16:54:16] <Lau> like yoyo
[16:54:27] <Duce> it will win us this war yet

Spoiler

[21:02:15] <Snakegal> arayk but i can come to the inn since im still physically banned from kyara :P
[21:02:35] <Duce> no one is allowed in on the weekends
[21:02:43] <Duce> I don't wear pants then

Spoiler

[21:25:04] <Duce> my dream of a pee colored house is coming together
[21:25:25] <Gog> nice, aparagus pee I hope
[21:25:41] <Duce> asparagus pee smells terrible
[21:26:07] <Gog> it would be like a scratch and sniff colour
[21:26:48] <Duce> I remember once, getting drunk in Las Vegas, waking up in the morning
[21:27:07] <Duce> took a pee, thought I was dying.  Forgot I had a beet salad the night before
[21:27:53] <Duce> that was the same time I stole that 6 foot tall plastic lobster from the seafood buffet
[21:28:18] <Snakegal> hwo the heck do you steal that and not get caught
[21:28:26] <Duce> I'm quick when I drink
[21:28:48] <Snakegal> then what did you do with it? :P
[21:28:58] <Duce> brought it home
[21:29:11] <Snakegal> so you still have it
[21:29:18] <Duce> cost me a fortune to get it on the plane
[21:29:24] <Gog> LOL
[21:29:37] <Duce> Pinchy needed to be liberated
[21:30:23] <Duce> they were yelling at me in Spanish

some random moments i found and wanted to share

• Like 8

Duce was always awesome. He was so dedicated to the Wurm team and of the few times I'd spoken to him (either when I was on the team or when he was GM'ing in-game) he was always helpful and often spot-on when he did divulge his thoughts and opinions on things. He wasn't just respected, it was easy to see why he was respected.

A big loss to the Wurm community, it wouldn't be where it is today without him.

• Like 2