Sign in to follow this  
BrandonSF

A few changes to a highway around G10

Hello Indy!

A week ago I made some changes to the NW/SE roads around G10. I got in a bit of trouble from this from the GM team and was told to fix it or be banned.

The deed is called Fo's Forge. In line Fo, I decided to make the newly deeded area a bit more inline with his lore. This meant me changing the road (parts of in paved with stone in 20x20 blocks) with a lawn road. Like I said, before it was just an old abandoned village with paved stone everywhere! Sadly, I don't have any pictures of what was there before, but the pavement DID connect.

Here is what it looks like now.

LF0ITMHl.jpgs5rgfDsl.jpg

The GM's have asked me to get the ok from Indy on the forums to do this, and this is my post to do that. I'd honestly rather just take the ban and play on WU if it means paving it back with boring cobblestone. There is a highway every 30 tiles or so on this server!

Thank you!

Edited by BrandonSF
grammer
  • Like 2

I think it looks cool tbh. The lawn with curbs is a very nice touch. +1 from me. 

• Like 1

Have to agree with Emoo. Having passed through that area a lot I agree it needed a bit of fixing. I like the idea of lawns with curbs. +1 here too. 

• Like 2

+1 nice idea 

Nothing for long roads trough mob infested areas because moving on it is slower than on cobble but around a deed why not. ?

Edited by Sirene
  • Like 2

Eh, didn't work out.

They insist on the highway being connected via paved roads and want me to remake it in the perimeter of the deed. Ugly. I thought it would be cool to do something different.

I guess they are going to pop the deed, ban me and remake the road as is. It's cool. I guess WU is a little more sandboxy, so I'll just go there I guess.

Edited by BrandonSF
grammer
  • Like 1

I thought that the paving on deed didn't matter as long as it was passable/provided an alternative?

And that the rule to ask GM for approval prior to alteration only was for offdeed.

Do I remember this wrong?

Question is, does lawn lower running speed compared to "regular" paving? This is the key here. If it does, I can see, why they insist changing it back to stone paving. Also, what happens, when your deed falls. What will happen to that lawn segment then?

Knowing you it probably looks better than before.

A ban would be silly.

It lowers running speed a bit. Not on horseback or cart though.

Poppy, yeah, it was just like 20x20 pavement before. Just an abandoned ugly area,

Cecci, it's still passable. There are no walls on my deed!

You were always my alliance leader, both on Deli and on Xanaddu, and I have faith in you Brandon.

I liked your gravel roads and I like your lawn across deed road also!

I fact I use it on one of my deeds also.

Not as a highway but nicely marked out with curbs like that.

1 hour ago, BrandonSF said:

It lowers running speed a bit. Not on horseback or cart though.

Sorry, but in that case I am for restoring it to paving.. Highway is about functionality. There shouldn't be any spots there, which slow you down even on foot. Might not be important for older players, but someone, who tries to escape from a spider, that lawn might have big impact there.

About looks(just an example), we could change all highways to lawn/grass, would look nice, but they wouldn't be highways any more. Can't really call it even a road. Same applies to segments of it.

Also longevity, as I mentioned. What happens, when your deed falls? Lawn goes to grass, while paving will last long even undeeded.

You have approval from each and every player on Inde. Please continue with your work and thank you for caring about your local area and making it nice.

Well done!

Q

Think it looks good.   You did technically break the rules, but it's your deed.   And it's not a large area, easy enough to fix should you abandon your deed and it collapses.    I'd appeal the G

M ruling to Enki if I was you.

Eh. The ban is. Tried to log on today.

I did offer to reroute the paved part of the road into a mine road to keep it off my deed, but that was a NO I guess.

Would have been neat to do something different, but I understand it and it's fine I guess. WU still works.

Edited by BrandonSF

I want to start off this by prefacing that in no way am I challenging the GM team. I love our GM team and the tireless work they do. But with that being said this is what I think about this ruling.

1) A ban? Really? I hardly think a ban was warranted in this case. Yeah Brandon did break the rules, however, he was going to fix it if it turned out that no one liked it. I understand needing to keep punishments equal and giving someone a ban versus letting someone off the hook can create an imbalance. But straying from the rules in some cases is possible. I think you should really appeal the ban to Enki as it really was just uncalled for, you were prepared to repave the area. Don't just take the ban and move to WU. 

2) In your OP you said that the GM in question told you to get the ok from Independence via the forums (which is what this post was for). I count 9 out of 10 (I only counted the posts in which people are giving opinions on the certain pavement type) posts in which people say that it is a good idea. I myself feel like that is more than enough ok from the server to do such a thing. Also, it's on your deed! I can see this being an issue for off deed highways, but there shouldn't be a rule promoting you to do what you want on the land that you pay for. As Rixk did mention, the run speed is something to consider but you can just make a paved detour for those who are on foot and need the extra bonus on the pavement. In fact, I think a sign at the junction showing the different routes and that one gives a speed bust on foot. Just something to make people aware that are traveling through the area on foot. But the GM back on their word. They said that you need to get the ok from Indy. You got the ok from Indy. 

I am sorry you got banned and really think you should appeal to Enki. Dont just give up and move to WU. Good luck brandon. 

How does that work?

Is it a few days ban or forever?

1 hour ago, Zachariah said:

1) A ban? Really? I hardly think a ban was warranted in this case. Yeah Brandon did break the rules, however, he was going to fix it if it turned out that no one liked it. I understand needing to keep punishments equal and giving someone a ban versus letting someone off the hook can create an imbalance. But straying from the rules in some cases is possible. I think you should really appeal the ban to Enki as it really was just uncalled for, you were prepared to repave the area. Don't just take the ban and move to WU. 

2) In your OP you said that the GM in question told you to get the ok from Independence via the forums (which is what this post was for). I count 9 out of 10 (I only counted the posts in which people are giving opinions on the certain pavement type) posts in which people say that it is a good idea. I myself feel like that is more than enough ok from the server to do such a thing. Also, it's on your deed! I can see this being an issue for off deed highways, but there shouldn't be a rule promoting you to do what you want on the land that you pay for. As Rixk did mention, the run speed is something to consider but you can just make a paved detour for those who are on foot and need the extra bonus on the pavement. In fact, I think a sign at the junction showing the different routes and that one gives a speed bust on foot. Just something to make people aware that are traveling through the area on foot. But the GM back on their word. They said that you need to get the ok from Indy. You got the ok from Indy. 

I am sorry you got banned and really think you should appeal to Enki. Dont just give up and move to WU. Good luck brandon. 

This is all a bit speculative since we have no idea what his conversation was like with which GM(s), but based on his posts here, this is the flow of events as I understand it:

1. BrandonSF breaks the rules by modifying a highway in an illegal manner, in fact invalidating it by replacing pavement with non-pavement.
  2. GMs tell BrandonSF that he can keep it if the server is OK with it.
  3. BrandonSF posts this thread in order to gauge public response.
  4. GMs withdraw the offer, possibly as a result of consulting with each other or by order of a higher-ranking GM, telling him that no, he needs to change it back to pavement.
  5. BrandonSF doesn't care enough to comply with the order, so he ignores the GM's decision.
  6. BrandonSF gets banned.

I could be wrong about the particulars here, but his post starting with "Eh, didn't work out" seems to imply to me that the GMs instructed him that he would need to revert the pavement after all, and that he intentionally refused to comply with this because he didn't really care enough to bother. I don't know whether or not that deserves a ban, but that is IS pretty bad, especially after a GM already tried to be lax with him about it.

• Like 1

Honestly, after posting what I posted above and then reading what Osten posted I went back up and re read all of his posts and I am not sure the validity of the entire thing. I think the conversation is done and over with. He took the ban. 

This is absolute ######, and is what drives me closer every day to selling out and cease giving code club my money. Situations like this. Seeing moderation give absolutely no recourse to player-retention, not caring about seeing a loyal player for many years stay with the game over violation of some rule that is the epitome of pitiful. This is like getting sent to federal prison for petty theft in my eyes.

• Like 8

Roads have always been controlled, people need to respect the rules. We are just guests in this game nothing more.

3 hours ago, Niki said:

We are just guests in this game nothing more.

And that exact mentality is the reason this game is failing, and the reason for the exodus of so many older players who no longer feel they are respected by those who run it.

Edited by whereami
  • Like 1