Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

PvP Changes discussion

For a new server to work it'd have to come AFTER some massive overhauls have taken place thus making it necessary in the first place.... imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

For a new server to work it'd have to come AFTER some massive overhauls have taken place thus making it necessary in the first place.... imho.

Yes, lets make changes, lets test the changes, lets tweak them, bring them live, let PvP commence on Chaos and Epic for about 6 months and then we'll consider a map reset.

A map reset now does nothing.   Get it through your thick skulls.

• Like 5

All this talk is nothing without fixing the existing bugs and lag.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2016 at 11:09 AM, Rasu said:

The whole point of the recent discussion is because we are tired of bandaid fixes  (which is what a new server is).

So servers get old and die, who cares? That's just natural for open world sandbox. It's not some major issue that needs "fixing". Chaos was very enjoyable for a lot of people for many years. It hasn't just suddenly become broken, it merely got old. Same can be said for Epic.

To say that we should have nothing new without major overhaul is wishful nonsense that is never going to happen and in the meantime those of us who actually want to play PvP can't.

I mean what specifically is broken with PvP? I've been playing Wyvern PvP on Wurm Unlimited for the past 3-4 months and it has been extremely fun, we've had many great kingdom fights. The only issue is lack of people. So when I look back at WO and still see the same Chaos server from like 10 years ago still circulating the same giant OP characters I get annoyed. Especially having spoken to so many people who would otherwise love to come back to play WO.

Edited by MightySheep

59 minutes ago, MightySheep said:

So servers get old and die, who cares? That's just natural for open world sandbox. It's not some major issue that needs "fixing". Chaos was very enjoyable for a lot of people for many years. It hasn't just suddenly become broken, it merely got old. Same can be said for Epic.

To say that we should have nothing new without major overhaul is wishful nonsense that is never going to happen and in the meantime those of us who actually want to play PvP can't.

I mean what specifically is broken with PvP? I've been playing Wyvern PvP on Wurm Unlimited for the past 3-4 months and it has been extremely fun, we've had many great kingdom fights. The only issue is lack of people. So when I look back at WO and still see the same Chaos server from like 10 years ago still circulating the same giant OP characters I get annoyed. Especially haven spoken to so many people who would otherwise love to come back to play WO.

I dont know that thats entirely true. I think the broken game mechanics of the game and lack of changes and bug fixes is the culprit. Look epic got a new map and it hardly did anything for the server. Initially yea some extra population but overall the same broken game probkems and exploited mechanics pushed those who came back and more right back out the door.

The map does not need to be reset. The game needs to be fixes and the map will fix itself.

hello mr devs

could sotg be made incremental?

would make the jump less drastic and let those working on getting sotg not feel so useless

10% at 4, 7 and 11

or 2.7% per level until 11

thx

• Like 7

Again everyone, keep discussion in here, the testing feedback thread is specifically for feedback from direct testing.

@Carmichaelfoot/calf shots still exist, and still give a speed modifier.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:14 AM, Worksock said:

hello mr devs

would make the jump less drastic and let those working on getting sotg not feel so useless

10% at 4, 7 and 11

thx

this^ would make it  a lot fairer to newer players, who haven't completely waited out the full amount of time. Most people who complain about it being un-realistic for new players to compete is because there is no median, sotg(even in its nerfed state) is still a huge leap in power that quite frankly makes it impossible for people who don't have it to compete.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Budda said:

Again everyone, keep discussion in here, the testing feedback thread is specifically for feedback from direct testing.

Fix the broken mechanics first, special moves for one and the desync problems, then look at 'balancing'.

1 hour ago, TradingAlt said:

this^ would make it  a lot fairer to newer players, who haven't completely waited out the full amount of time. Most people who complain about it being un-realistic for new players to compete is because there is no median, sotg(even in its nerfed state) is still a huge leap in power that quite frankly makes it impossible for people who don't have it to compete.

This is why the whole combat system needs a complete overhaul from the basics, so devs know how much damage stacking does to those with low body stats and moderate non-drake armor / non DR bonuses.

You see players taking 50+ damage wounds in chain (or plate) from certain weapons due to stacking bonuses (damage bonuses/crit manipulation) it's ridiculous. It forces any PvPer down specific skill trees to avoid the chance of a one shot. The damage stacking is easier to do, than it is to protect yourself. You can get damage stack bonuses from more areas than it is for damage reduction, where it's only available in Champion hood (which comes with total amount limit / a timer/3 lives/6 month cooldown), 1 meditation path ability tree, or 'end game' items such as tomes. I guess you could probably add armor spells that adds extra damage reduction to armour as balance (in place of AoSP / WA) but we still have the issue where it's possible to stack both damage reduction and damage bonuses at the same time.

If you're not doing this, you're losing, if you're winning, it's because of numbers advantage.

• Like 2

Idea:  Crits/dmg buffs were removed from artifacts right?  I'm not imagining that I think... 

Crits are being balanced, so leave them on 2h weapons.  But... 

Make priest 25% dmg bonus apply only to one handed weapons

Make hate bonus dynamic:  1.75x bonus to small weapons, 1.5x as is for medium weapons, 1.25x for 2h weapons.  Maybe not those exact numbers because I didn't math any real world values, but you get the idea

Basically, a way to balance different playstyles and methods to use other than put damage output on highest damage output weapon.  Will also lessen ability to stack max dr and max dmg outputs

• Like 2

On 8/21/2016 at 7:55 AM, Wargasm said:

Yes, lets make changes, lets test the changes, lets tweak them, bring them live, let PvP commence on Chaos and Epic for about 6 months and then we'll consider a map reset.

A map reset now does nothing.   Get it through your thick skulls.

incorrect

51 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Idea:  Crits/dmg buffs were removed from artifacts right?  I'm not imagining that I think... 

Crits are being balanced, so leave them on 2h weapons.  But... 

Make priest 25% dmg bonus apply only to one handed weapons

Make hate bonus dynamic:  1.75x bonus to small weapons, 1.5x as is for medium weapons, 1.25x for 2h weapons.  Maybe not those exact numbers because I didn't math any real world values, but you get the idea

Basically, a way to balance different playstyles and methods to use other than put damage output on highest damage output weapon.  Will also lessen ability to stack max dr and max dmg outputs

Hate should just have its dmg bonus converted into extra offensive CR and swing timer imo.

You won't LOL1-shoot, but you will hit a lot more over time, thus giving a more steady damage output than random RNG deaths.

Maybe it would make dual weapons a thing again.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

lets not forget that having it makes it hard to be interrupted too

for instance, if im an SOTG fo priest, the only way you will ever interrupt me is if you land the sub 10% chance shieldbash, or cricket me.

Without SOTG, you could hit me once or twice and my LOF would be interrupted.

SOTG was basically a direct nerf to spell combat on boats because of this too.

4 hours ago, Budda said:

They aren't even noticable on the live server, like i legit can't tell the difference between hurting status and hurting status with a calf shot.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

@BuddaSince you're working on rebalancing armor and moon metals, can we get the same bonus from moonmetals for chain as plate gets? No reason to not have it, imo.

3 hours ago, zigozag said:

@BuddaSince you're working on rebalancing armor and moon metals, can we get the same bonus from moonmetals for chain as plate gets? No reason to not have it, imo.

It already does...

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Propheteer said:

They aren't even noticable on the live server, like i legit can't tell the difference between hurting status and hurting status with a calf shot.

this

On 8/26/2016 at 2:36 PM, Zekezor said:

Hate should just have its dmg bonus converted into extra offensive CR and swing timer imo.

You won't LOL1-shoot, but you will hit a lot more over time, thus giving a more steady damage output than random RNG deaths.

Maybe it would make dual weapons a thing again.

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't a cr buff + fear cr buff be redundant and possibly op?  Increase cr too much and now you're harder to hit too

Maybe 10% more damage and 10% faster swing timer?  basically addy+glimmer combo

-----------------

Regarding calf/foot shots, yes they are still in the game, but it's nowhere near what they used to be, or maybe it's overridden by hurting status or something.  Get a calf wound, and compare non-hurting walk speed to full health non-hurting walkspeed.  I'm not really sure it's a good idea to buff it, which would essentially be replacing nerfed (thank god) special moves with something even easier to do aka use a 3s swing timer weapon get a calf shot game over didn't even have to wait a while for buttons to popup

3 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't a cr buff + fear cr buff be redundant and possibly op?  Increase cr too much and now you're harder to hit too

Maybe 10% more damage and 10% faster swing timer?  basically addy+glimmer combo

-----------------

Regarding calf/foot shots, yes they are still in the game, but it's nowhere near what they used to be, or maybe it's overridden by hurting status or something.  Get a calf wound, and compare non-hurting walk speed to full health non-hurting walkspeed.  I'm not really sure it's a good idea to buff it, which would essentially be replacing nerfed (thank god) special moves with something even easier to do aka use a 3s swing timer weapon get a calf shot game over didn't even have to wait a while for buttons to popup

i said offensive CR. not overall CR.

iow a bonus to hitting but no defensive bonuses.

6 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Would just be a good idea to play around with wound damages and how much movespeed is reduced. I mean, right now it's not noticable ( if I have wounds on me I've never been able to tell "oh ###### im going slow i better heal my legs", that mechanic is a writeoff ATM )
As Chaos is right now good luck getting any kills at a minehop without any sort of legshot/slow/special move mechanic, and 5 seconds of stun isn't going to cut it.
I have never suggested removing or heavily nerfing special move stun times because it just means that defending will be even easier. 

Considering this is directly regarding special moves being nerfed, it might be a good idea to consider raising shield bashing skillgains again - as the shieldbash stuns may be able to make up for stuns being more or less removed from the game via specials since they'll be next to useless.
Currently there's not much of an issue with old accounts having a bunch of shieldskill and being able to land nice bashes, would be nice if anyone who wasn't around at that time in the game could realistically catch up.
I shieldbash regularly and I think I am at around 20 skill on two accounts, what other skill other than like meditation are like that? If it's so much of an issue with how shieldbashing is scaled, fix the scaling.
Just my thoughts, I think you need like 50 shieldbashing to land a special move equivalent of a stun anyways. 
____
I was also going to suggest lowering stun resistance duration to be 1 minute to go from 50% to 0, as that sounds more reasonable because fights don't often last too long. Also I hope that some dummy like me can't come along with 20 shieldbashing, land a .5 second bash, and give some dude a 50% stun resistance that will tick down over 2.5 minutes.

I really think a stun resistance was a bad route. You should instead do something like make special moves work like shieldbashing where you can't charge up a second while they're already stunned, this will give a minimum of 4/5/7 seconds for MR/JK/HotS special moves to land again for a consecutive hit. You need to remember that you're sacrificing stamina for this and if it's going to do bad damage and a one time use per fight per person stun, you may as well just remove it.
my 3AM 2 cents

• Like 1

On 2016-08-24 at 6:14 PM, Worksock said:

hello mr devs

10% at 4, 7 and 11

thx

@BuddaAny possibility of this happening?

• Like 1

bump

On 2016-09-20 at 4:52 PM, Worksock said:

@BuddaAny possibility of this happening?

I want a response to this

thx

On 2016-08-24 at 6:14 PM, Worksock said:

hello mr devs

10% at 4, 7 and 11

thx

another bump

@Buddap l s

• Like 2

On 8/24/2016 at 11:14 AM, Worksock said:

hello mr devs

10% at 4, 7 and 11

thx

This would be one of the greatest changes if actually made. The overall reduction would stay the same but newer players would feel a sense of accomplishment while getting there. All meditation paths should be looked at and done in this same way so that while skilling to 70 for the 7 months to 1 years it takes you, you can hit milestones along the way. Bring some excitement.

• Like 1