Sign in to follow this  
Ignacius

Guard Tower disappearing after server restarts?

I'm running a dedicated server with the "Riverlands 2" map by Miretta found here http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/134174-riverland-2048x/ no other mods or changes are installed whatsoever. Having a strange issue where we built a guard tower that is disappearing every time I restart the server. The first time, we thought it might've been damaged/decayed (even though it had only been there for a real-life day or two which seemed strange) so we rebuilt it from scratch. This time I monitored the Damage: in its description - it never rose above 0.0 for several more real-life days. This morning I restarted the server again and once again the guard tower is gone. Just a lonely grass tile where it once stood. :( 

Running version 1.0.0.7 of the server.

System specs:
Dell PowerEdge T330

Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5 @ 2.90 GHz
Memory/RAM 64.0 GB
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64
Running the Wurm Unlimited SRCDS on Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS (Hyper-V)

Is anything else reverting, missing? Maybe try making the guard tower, getting the wurm id, and before shutdown, check the tower is in the database, shutdown, check again after shutdown, restart server check again after restart. Also have devmode=true in the servers ini file, and watch console/logs for errors.

Xyp, thank you for the response.

It was a good idea - I set devmode=true in the wurm.ini file, created a new guard tower, noted its WurmId using my GM character's ebony wand, and then made separate copies of the SQLite database files as follows:

1. Before stopping the server;

2. After stopping the server;

3. After starting the server, but before logging in to the game on the client side;

4. After starting the server and after logging in to the game client-side.

In cases 1-3, a SQLite Browser examination of the database shows that the WurmId is still in the database - it says it's a guard tower and its coordinates are as expected.

In case 4, though, the guard tower's WurmId is no longer in the database.

This leads me to believe that whatever it is that's causing the guard tower to disappear from the world, doesn't happen until I attempt to login to the server.

To my knowledge, nothing else is reverted, missing, or otherwise adversely affected. Our "settlement" is pretty localized on the map and it's a small group of us so we mostly know what we each have.

I did notice that even with the guard tower missing, its guard was still there and patrolling... In fact, there were at least 3 guards, even though we've never had more than one tower at a time - which would suggest that even though the tower isn't there, the guards aren't "despawning" with it? I did not check to see whether they respond to typing "help" or "guards!" into local chat...

I just examined the log file - something very interesting!

Aug 03, 2016 3:37:12 PM com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zones loadTowers
INFO: Loading guard towers.
INFO: Removing tower for non-existent kingdom of Freedom Isles
INFO: Loaded 0 Guard towers. That took 9.476011 ms.

I haven't fiddled with any of the kingdom data on the server - I'll take a look and see if I can find anything hinky.

Hmmm check do you have the server set to homeserver with kingdom 0? that causes all kinds of problems, Freedom is kingdom 4

It's set to a Home Server but I have the Kingdom set to 4...

I have never had this issue, that is very strange. With no mods running, and set to homeserver, and set to kingdom 4 this is something that definitely needs to get to the attention of Vyolette right away so she can add it to the bug list and the Dev team can try to find the problem.

Only other thing I would try to look for at this point (and I will keep thinking about it for you) is to use GM tool on yourself and make sure you are a member of freedom.

Not sure what to think of this. I doubt it'll help, but here's the Event output I got when I did Ebony Wand, Get Info on the guard tower before I tested it all...

Guard tower info:

WurmId:1859526206978, posx=1994.0(498), posy=2318.0(579), posz=13.65, rot270.0 layer=0 bridgeid=-10
Ql:18.0, damage=0.0, weight=500000, temp=200
Parentid=-10 ownerid=-10 zoneid=233 sizex=400 sizey=400 sizez=600
Last maintained 13 minutes ago.
Lastownerid=Almightywimp, Model=model.structure.guardtower.free.stone
Auxdata=4

I do see the last line, Auxdata=4, and Freedom Isles is kingdom ID 4, but this is of course just an assumption on my part... And if that is the case, it's the same as the Home Server Kingdom setting so I see no reason why it would remove it like that?

Just now, Xyp said:

I have never had this issue, that is very strange. With no mods running, and set to homeserver, and set to kingdom 4 this is something that definitely needs to get to the attention of Vyolette right away so she can add it to the bug list and the Dev team can try to find the problem.

Only other thing I would try to look for at this point (and I will keep thinking about it for you) is to use GM tool on yourself and make sure you are a member of freedom.

Posted at the same time :D Sorry bout that. I will do that and post the results. And thank you for your help!

Update:

I confirmed that I, and all the other players on the server, are set members of kingdom Freedom Isles.

I wanted to rule out the possibility of the custom map I'm using as the culprit - since it's literally the only thing I've changed... So I went with an absolute vanilla setup. I completely removed my Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server folder from Steam, and deleted any leftover files. Reinstalled the tool and created a copy of the Creative save/folder that comes with the download. It is called CreativeCopy. I didn't even change any settings, I just clicked Start Server. Logged in to it, then set myself to GM powers (stopped server, opened the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server tool, went to Players and set power to 5 there, then started the server again). Then I logged in, activated the ebony wand in-game, right-clicked and went to Specials -> Create, and made a new guard tower (the 4th one in the list, as its appearance was the same as the one that was created originally on my server). Set the QL to 18 (that's about what it was there too), and then clicked ok and dropped it on the ground. Then I exited the game, stopped the server and started it again. Poof - the guard tower was gone.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out... If this is happening with a completely vanilla setup, its beyond me how it hasn't been encountered before >_<

I would set up four towers somewhat close. Set one to Auxdata 1, one to Auxdata 2, one to Auxdata 3 and one with Auxdata 4.

Restart the server and see what happens.

4 hours ago, Jukken said:

I would set up four towers somewhat close. Set one to Auxdata 1, one to Auxdata 2, one to Auxdata 3 and one with Auxdata 4.

Restart the server and see what happens.

A good idea - I just tried this, once again with a straight vanilla copy of the Creative map with no changes made other than to grant myself GM power 5. I created and placed 4 guard towers and set the Auxdata for them to 1, 2, 3, and 4. I exited the client, shutdown the server via the GUI, then started it again. When I logged in, all four towers were gone.

I then tried placing another tower after the fact and set Auxdata to 0. Exited, shutdown, startup, and logged in and it was gone too.

>_< Would it help maybe if I zipped up and uploaded my server's folder for examination?

Do you have any deeds on the map? I don't understand why a deed would be a forced requirement, but it's worth trying?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jberg said:

Do you have any deeds on the map? I don't understand why a deed would be a forced requirement, but it's worth trying?

By testing this on the Creative map (vanilla), it appears that deeding a settlement corrected the behavior... Created a settlement using the supplied deed stake, placed the guard tower, exited the game, restarted the server and logged in and it was still there at least.

I've never used the deed token myself before as I never thought it was actually required for anything... It does appear this corrects it at least, so I'll be happy to experiment with it. If it shouldn't be required, though, should I submit this as a bug somehow? That guard towers not on deed settlements vanish after restart?

P.S. I did notice that the tower guards spawned by the tower are still there even though the tower itself is gone - and we have like 5 or 6 tower guards lingering! But, after a recent encounter with a fog spider, a handful of players and I were able to determine that those guards don't respond to "help" or "guards!" without the tower itself present...

Anyway, thank you Jberg at least for the help there. I guess the only thing left to determine is whether a deed/settlement is supposed to be a requirement for it.

So is this issue resolved for you?

I am experiencing the same thing. Guard tower on a settlement (formed by a normal user, using a deed stake)... dissapeared.

This is utterly non-sensical and wogicy.

Sorry to necro a thread, but this just happened to me. I spent days making all the mats, attaching and creating my tower (I don't allow deeds on my server) just to have the tower gone the next time I start the server. I made a new tower with my GM alt and restarted the server, poof, no more tower. 

This is game-breaking. A guard tower takes some serious effort to make and having it just vanish on server restart is a reason not to play. This needs to be looked into right now.

Creative databases work that way, an Adventure DB will allow you to make towers and not need a deed.

The idea goes like this: in creative if I was to drain off the deed of someone and it wasn't there anymore. The towers would fade on server restarts, comapared to the adventure DB where you can remove deeds, but the kingdom influence still persists due to the tower still being seeded.

Edited by Brew
Can't spell

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Creative databases work that way, an Adventure DB will allow you to make towers and not need a deed.

The ideas goes like: in creative if I was to drain off the deed of someone and it wasn't there anymore. The towers would fade on server restarts, comapared to the adventure DB where you can remove deeds but the kingdom influence still persists due to the tower still being seeded.

That's just completely retarded and if that's a feature, it SHOULD have been mentioned.

Edited by Mark

There needs to be a starter deed for the kingdom that your making the tower for if not they will disappear after restart.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ausimus said:

There needs to be a starter deed for the kingdom that your making the tower for if not they will disappear after restart.

If this is the case, why was that never communicated clearly to anyone?

15 hours ago, Mark said:

That's just completely retarded and if that's a feature, it SHOULD have been mentioned.

Maybe they were too slow to read it.

Hope y'all don't mind me jumping on this thread but I was setting up a vanilla Adventure server today and everything was normal.  Home kingdom is set to 0 and my GM character is "Freedom".  When I tried to summon a "salesman" at each of the three default towns, the guards immediately killed it because it was consider an enemy (Freedom) salesman.

To get around this, I figured I would edit each of my kingdom characters to GM level 5 (charnameMR = GM 5, charnameJK = GM 5, charnameHOTS = GM 5) and summon the salesman that way so they would belong to their respective kingdoms.  I did that no problem.

However, after that, I noticed the settlement token AND the kingdom towers (although the tower guards remained) for all three kingdoms disappeared.  I set the 3 new GM characters back to GM level 0, updated the database, and restarted the server but the settlement tokens and kingdom guard towers remain non-existent

Has anyone else encounter this problem or is there a way to get the tokens and kingdom towers back?

Will I have to restore the server back to original to get token and kingdom towers back and just not create kingdom salesman/traders next time?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Same thing happened to me. I'm running a private creative server just used by a friend of mine and myself - we'd been playing for some time until about a year ago or maybe a little more. With the Guard Towers, everything was fine back then.

Then we took a break as some other games were taking our gaming time.

Now with the arrival of the "cooking recipe patch" I decided to look back into Wurm Unlimited (btw, I really like the patch :-)), and that was the first time I encountered the missing Guard Tower problem. I rebuilt one, everything seemed fine again, and I even think I shut down the server at least one time yesterday taking a break from playing - I *think* the tower was still there when I restarted, but today - poof, tower gone again!

This seems to be a bug caught with one of the earlier patches - unfortunately, having not played in some time there's been several patches in between.

I do very much hope this gets fixed... soon-ish. ;)

No, this is not some minor bug and it is in game for YEARS. It was the reason why i rage quit the game and spitted on it at steam reviews 2 years ago.
And now, it happend to me again.

- I made Adventure map at my local server, which is called Havenord
- i chosen NONE kingdom for my character
- I found perfect spot for my home, which is out of reach of any server Kingdom
- i tried to deed it, but i just found out i have to make my Kingdom there before
- found even NONE kingdom is Kingdom somewhere at forum, or wikipedia
- found i can make my Kingdom there by Guard Tower at wikipedia
- i built a Guard Tower to spread my Kingdom
- i finished the tower, it had flag of kingdom of freedom (however i didn't notice any kingdom description at ground examining)
- i restarted the server to see naked reality - it happend what i expected - my Guard Tower disappeared. - AGAIN!

This is normal feature of the game which will happen to anyone who try this.
Now i am trying to find way how to make tower spawn again at that spot and workaround this thing somehow.

You devs should make sure to get rid of this things from game, because this will result in many really angry reviews on this awesome game.

Edited by palmic

So deeding GT worked.
unfortunately there was no other way how to find it than debugging it via google and try and fail..
That's very bad for new players of WU..

Here i wrote solution for not very experienced players like i am:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/0/1697167355211881438/

Edited by palmic