Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

The Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil, 2016

The games start in about three days now. It's practically guaranteed to be a ######-show of unimaginable proportions. May as well start early with a discussion topic on it!

So, any predictions?

#apocolympics2016

(ps, keep to forum rules)

(pps, sorry mods, this is going to be an unruly topic I suspect... but still, it's a global event...)

Keep an eye on liveleak.Com for all the glorious cell phone videos of locals robbing tourists.

• Like 2

someone is going to die or get really sick from the poop water

• Like 1

Well the Aussies have been having all kinds of fun at Rio... Olympic village accommodations were uninhabitable and they were then robbed during an arson-set fire (the fire alarms weren't connected).

http://deadspin.com/rio-olympics-athletes-village-declared-uninhabitable-1784219622

http://deadspin.com/australian-olympics-robbed-during-fire-at-athletes-vill-1784611860

Then of course there's the antibiotic-resistant super bacteria to worry about...

Police on strike after not being paid for months.

At least two major ongoing political scandals with some major politicians resigning.

Rio is just a shithole in general, especially infrastructure.

Wonder who the genius at the IOC was that thought this was a good idea?

Opening ceremonies haven't even started yet :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King said:

someone is going to die or get really sick from the poop water

not someONE....

4 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Wonder who the genius at the IOC was that thought this was a good idea?

Opening ceremonies haven't even started yet :rolleyes:

I can't hear M_Id_420282_US_Dollars.jpg what you're saying can you speak DollarTrash-646x363.jpg louder?

• Like 4

do not come to Brazil here is a ###### you guys will regret it forever to come.

• Like 1

I blame Jberg for any mess ongoing on Rio from now on.

(Because someone has to.)

Olympic Prediction #1

Zika mosquitoes will thrive on the steroid laden blood the athletes have. This will create a new "super zika mosquito" capable of incredibly fast flight, immense strength, and definitely pesticide resistance.

*taps Darwin on the shoulder*

Go eh.

Darwin:   "DOOOOOOOOOM !!! "

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gumbo said:

[Everything in there]

Alright, now time to make a movie out of that, sounds a lot more entertaining than the future OG. :D

All the sports presenters from around the world will be getting ready for their all-expenses paid holidays, interviewing for a couple of hours a day and then living the dream for the remainder of the time- now how do I get a job like that :)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is an excellent location for the 2016 Olympic games! Why? It will give worldwide exposure to the future problems we will all face due to overpopulation and polluting our precious resources with human waste products of various sorts. Only those in serious denial who dwell in their happy La La Lands or the brain dead will be able to ignore this message in spite of the attempts there to deny the evidences of these problems.

As Agent Smith so aptly put it:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I've realized that you are not actually mammals. (Smiles) Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. (Leans forward) There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague. And we are... the cure.

- That is the sound of inevitability."

A sad prophesy that rings true on the eve of destruction. Fortunately I won't be around to see it's continued march down that path to fulfillment. Doom and gloom? Yea, that's tha ticket!

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Jberg said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/reports-claim-olympic-kayaker-capsized-after-hitting-underwater-sofa/ar-BBvkqgb?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Reports claim Olympic kayaker capsized after hitting underwater sofa

:blink:

Now that is hilarious. Gave me a good chuckle to start my day, thanks. Saw it happen, didn't see no furniture, but I am refurnishing a room, anyone know if the couch had a nice colour pattern? hahaha

:)

I heard recently that something like 3 teaspoons of the water there can give you a serious illness....yeah...

Swimmers are being advised to keep their heads above water... yeah... good luck with that.

If it's all that bad and obvious now, think what it must have been like BEFORE the games? I know that for Beijing, all the factories etc. were shut down a week or so before the games so that the air was clear. People who lived there could see the nearest mountains (only a few miles away) for the first time in YEARS! The day after the games finished the smog was back and you couldn't see them again.

The media is drastically exaggerating a lot of things, being a American born to Brasilian parents I have gone to Brasil numerous times. I won't disagree Rio is in my opinion the shittiest tourist place of the country. But things like what Firestarter said are huge myths. The problems that lie in Brasil aren't being reflected or have anything to do with the Olympics or  Rio. Crime rate in Rio is high just like any other major city in the world, compare it to Chicago/NYC/LA and all. The core issues Brasil has is the corruption in the political system, which you was able to be seen when the standing president was boo'ed by the entire stadium during the opening ceremony. Things like Zika, are present  yes but its not something that is exclusive to Rio or Brasil its a worldwide issue unfortunately. Brasil happens to have a lot of reported cases of it because the political system doesn't work and prevention methods aren't applied because no public funding unlike the US where after a few reports in Florida the government is paying for all these companies to do everything to prevent it from spreading. Also regarding crime one thing that's makes Rio and most larger cities in Brasil have higher rates then other major cities in other countries is that in Brasil from experience the average response time when calling the police varies from 15-30 minutes minimum to anywhere over hour or more before they arrive where here in the US at least I would say it goes from 1-2 mins minimum to max 5 mins in the major cities. 

1 hour ago, Egard said:

The media is drastically exaggerating a lot of things, being a American born to Brasilian parents I have gone to Brasil numerous times. I won't disagree Rio is in my opinion the shittiest tourist place of the country. But things like what Firestarter said are huge myths. The problems that lie in Brasil aren't being reflected or have anything to do with the Olympics or  Rio. Crime rate in Rio is high just like any other major city in the world, compare it to Chicago/NYC/LA and all. The core issues Brasil has is the corruption in the political system, which you was able to be seen when the standing president was boo'ed by the entire stadium during the opening ceremony. Things like Zika, are present  yes but its not something that is exclusive to Rio or Brasil its a worldwide issue unfortunately. Brasil happens to have a lot of reported cases of it because the political system doesn't work and prevention methods aren't applied because no public funding unlike the US where after a few reports in Florida the government is paying for all these companies to do everything to prevent it from spreading. Also regarding crime one thing that's makes Rio and most larger cities in Brasil have higher rates then other major cities in other countries is that in Brasil from experience the average response time when calling the police varies from 15-30 minutes minimum to anywhere over hour or more before they arrive where here in the US at least I would say it goes from 1-2 mins minimum to max 5 mins in the major cities. 

I apologise if what I posted above is completely untrue, I was just posting what I'd heard.

The crime is certainly an issue. Despite the government deploying a security force of approx. 85,000, including 23,000 troops fully armed and equipped (not to mention a naval vessel off the beach), the increase in crime continues... among the locals, tourists, Olympic officials, and the athletes.

...even the chief of security for the opening ceremony was mugged at knifepoint right outside a stadium on Friday.

Granted massive wealth inequality, widespread corruption, unpaid law enforcement, and poverty in the middle of what is possibly the worst recession the country has ever experienced.

Edited by Klaa

Hey now, let's focus on the athletes instead of on the water.

Like how several of them got caught with performance enhancers in their system and were allowed to compete anyway. Good times

7 hours ago, Klaa said:

Granted massive wealth inequality, widespread corruption, unpaid and corrupt law enforcement, and poverty in the middle of what is possibly the worst recession the country has ever experienced.

Hit the nail right on the head there 

9 hours ago, Firestarter said:

I apologise if what I posted above is completely untrue, I was just posting what I'd heard.

No need, one can only know so much without first hand information

29 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Like how several of them got caught with performance enhancers in their system and were allowed to compete anyway. Good times

That is true and sad, I am sure many know that Russian athletic ban because they have government program that endorses the use of performance enhancers but there are man other country's that have athletes using them as well. I know a swimmer from china served this year a 3 month ban due to the use of performance enhancing drugs, and now is competing in the Olympics the very same year. 

Indeed let us focus instead on the athletes. As this truly is the culmination of decades of blood, sweat, and tears.

Their moment in the world stage striving towards that shiny gold... gotta get across that water first though.

Wonder how much steroids would be needed to walk across the diseased, polluted, super bacteria-ridden water... probably some ungodly amount needed...

jesus-walks-on-water.jpg

Edited by Klaa