Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Close

Yes, much nicer Army!

All:

Keep a few things in mind when reviewing the map.

- The largest island is roughly 1024 x 1024 and is intended to be Frontline island - the place where HOTA is contested and the various kingdoms fight

- The remaining three smaller islands are the kingdom home islands. Room for settlement while also giving that sense of danger from an unexpected enemy visit

- The distance between the home islands and the front line island is intended to make interceptions possible when kingdoms are moving from their home islands to Frontline island. Transit time is still likely to be around 5 minutes max between the two islands for any of the kingdoms.

i like the current map

also, is there any possibility, like if we are REALLY lucky, that deso v4 would come out in 1-2 weeks rather than a few months? HINT HINT 

Edited by Quicktor

On 11.9.2016 at 7:57 PM, Quicktor said:

also, is there any possibility, like if we are REALLY lucky, that deso v4 would come out in 1-2 weeks rather than a few months? HINT HINT 

Well, I probably could get the coding done within a few weeks, but it means a lot work for Nappy too. And this amount of mods will need some testing work first, so it's really hard to even give a rough release date yet. 

MAYBE I get a test server with instant timers working within a few weeks, but it would be unstable and would be reset before official server launch.

Let's just hope that Nappy will have more time for this soon. Once he's back, this shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks.

On 11.9.2016 at 9:05 PM, Hakameda said:

What will the whitelist apps be like?

I think Nappy wants to do this on a TS server. From technical side we probably will link your desolation forum account with your ingame character, but no final decisions for this yet.

Is there a signup list which will be notified say in email when it is going to happen? I definitely want to be part of this :D ... but too unorganized to keep checking.

I should mention that my ability to host another PVP server in the near future will be based on my real life commitments outside of wurm.

@Quicktor/Cyber:

From a timing perspective here are my thoughts:

- WO just released a lot of new stuff for PVP - Out of respect for their dev efforts I would like to give them a chance for their stuff to get a workout and perhaps let them identify next steps

- Chaos is finally heating up with actual fighting going on. Since I have never fought on Chaos I am very tempted to spend at least a short war campaign there provided there is a kingdom with interest of course (and provided my real life time commitments permit of course)

- Some time is still required to permit completion of development, incorporation of the recent WO changes, upgrading of old mods both the custom DesV3 and the WU ones we used and at least one test cycle

- A new, non-lag, dedicated linux server setup to include automated recovery from reboot and also 30 minute server backups to the cloud

Timeline is likely at least a month. That should give enough time to get some reports back from Chaos and Epic on the recent PVP changes

@Hakameda:

For a well behaved player the only difference will be a very short interview to join the server and of course the limit to only one character allowed - no alts, no captive priests etc. Provided players follow the server rules (which again will be common sense, fair and non-biased) then they will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

@Jaz:

Awesome to see you interested in joining in. Would absolutely love to have you fighting on the server with me (regardless of what kingdom you are on etc). The evolutionary nature of the intended game is unique at this point so there will be alot of notification about this before the actual go live date when it all starts. I will try to remember to drop you a note too.

~Nappy

Edited by Nappy

44 minutes ago, Nappy said:

I should mention that my ability to host another PVP server in the near future will be based on my real life commitments outside of wurm.

or make a team of people to manage it, You could find long term people wanting to help you

11 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

or make a team of people to manage it, You could find long term people wanting to help you

There will be a team this time around. Still has to be a server owner to provide clear leadership and a point for unbiased appeal of GM policies/rulings

I'd be willing to help when I have time apart from class.  Also I like the idea of a test server so players could group up and organize and try things, report bugs, etc in preparation for the launch.  Would probably help with initial population having a group of players already interested and participating in the test server who immediately switch over to the main one. 

I finished the coding last night and can't test everything on my own anymore. There are just too many features now to test them all carefully with just 1 or 2 players.

I want to set up a whitelisted test server the coming days after talking with Nappy about this. Everyone who is interested in joining the test round can send me a PM.

I want to get the following things tested:

- Epoch Advance, from epoch 1 to 5 (includes skill limits and item blacklist)

- Home Island zones with combat bonus

- Whitelist and alt protection

- New guard tower build distance (probably will visualize all towers and kingdom influence at round end)

- General balance and some new features that are still in development

Server rates will be really high, maybe instant timers for some actions to speed it up even more. Server shouldn't last longer than about 3-7 days and will reset then to prepare the real Desolation 4 round, or another test round.

Edited by Army

pweeeaaase open up early, other people dont know how to make a proper pvp server D:

Edited by Quicktor

We are currently on target for opening on October 28th. The actual server is up and running on the production hardware. The next few weeks will be finalizing code and performing configuration tweaking.

~Nappy

• Like 3

Dang, opening on a Friday. I wont be on until the following sunday!

Just now, MootRed said:

Dang, opening on a Friday. I wont be on until the following sunday!

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone would mind waiting until Sunday?

Or release sooner if time permits =) Maybe an earlier time suits @MootRed

Edited by Hakameda
  • Like 1

Actually @Nappywill you start whitelisting procedure before servers launch? So there will be less everyone at once trying to get on at once

• Like 2