Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Close

Please close

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 6

A question:  Once all ten time periods have been completed, what will happen then? Do you intend on shutting down the server at this point? Or will the server population as a whole be allowed to vote on which time period they had the most fun in, and that be set as the permanent age? Or will the cycle continue to reset and begin again?

Also, you say 10k rock shards per epoch advancement, what about if a kingdom chose not to give the rock shards due to they actually enjoyed the epoch they were currently in and did not want time to advance forward?

Overall i like the general concept, just want clarification on what your ideas are in these matters

Edited by Josh

- A new map will be created that features a kingdom specific home island for each kingdom and a central island that will act as the common front line for battles between kingdoms. Unlike WO where there are three kingdom specific "home" servers, it is intended to have a single "server" or map that features both the home islands and the central combat/HOTA island

- Traveling from the kingdom island to frontline island will require the use of ships or player built bridges (not land bridges and ship travel must still be possible under the bridge connection to the front line island

excellent, but i suggest at least 1 GM built/enforced non-griefable bridge per kingdom like deso3 had, otherwise players private bridges will quickly be griefed/walled up

- Starting items will consist of the following

i think you forgot to finish this line

- Turn off /vinvite and /suicide. Need to also remove the new remote join commands recently added to WU

i think suicide should be ok if there are no enemy players in local, and shouldnt be a problem as long as /vinvite is removed. sometimes you get stuck and the only way out is suicide

All in all sounds like a very fun design for a new desolation server, and the ruleset sounds pretty good.

edit:

A question:  Once all ten time periods have been completed, what will happen then? Do you intend on shutting down the server at this point? Or will the server population as a whole be allowed to vote on which time period they had the most fun in, and that be set as the permanent age?

I really like the voting on the most fun age idea

Edited by Alexgopen

i think it would be interesting to remove all kingdom titles.

Some good ideas there Nappy.

Whitelisting can be a b**** to maintain, but sometimes is necessary. As always feel free to contact me if you need help trying to figure out how to implement some things. I may not be able to help with all but will be glad to take a look.

You may want to consider taking a good close look at the white light/black light spell list and balancing lib a bit since you are combining all white light priest spells. Not even considering the combat implications of spell spam or heal spells, but the more behind the scene things like genesis can turn tides.

Edited by Xyp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Josh said:

A question:  Once all ten time periods have been completed, what will happen then? Do you intend on shutting down the server at this point? Or will the server population as a whole be allowed to vote on which time period they had the most fun in, and that be set as the permanent age? Or will the cycle continue to reset and begin again?

Also, you say 10k rock shards per epoch advancement, what about if a kingdom chose not to give the rock shards due to they actually enjoyed the epoch they were currently in and did not want time to advance forward?

Overall i like the general concept, just want clarification on what your ideas are in these matters

1) Once we hit modern age then intent was to keep server running provided that once again the server community is functioning in a way that makes it a fun experience for as many players as possible (and the staff too)

2) The rock shards were an example. Each Epoch would have different advancement criteria. Think of the completion of the advancement task as a way for the server to express a wish to move forward to next epoch. No guarantee it would happen right away. Also if there were three kingdoms then I would be looking for at least the majority of the kingdoms to complete that task in order to express their desire to move to the next epoch. Other influencing factors on advancement would include current PVP intensity, how long epoch has been in place and a number of other factors

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Very interesting, some very interesting ideas there

Grin.

If WO would like to make this design spec a reality as an official server then I would happily pay premium and come back to play as much as my time permits. Even willing to assist with design and staff. 

• Like 3

Making this a reality:

I will add this section to original post.

Back when DesolationV3 was live much of what we are trying to do here would have required an extension on custom code we developed for that server. Since then however, several mods have been created by other developers that will allow much of this to be easily completed provided an extension to those mods was created as needed.

Most of the evolution section comes down to two key requirements, ability to cap skill levels of particular skills at a certain level. Sindusk recently created a mod that allows you to cap the characteristics similar to what we did on Desolation. If this mod was extended to include the skills listed in the chart then it would allow you to control the skills available at each level.

Bdew also created a mod recently that allows you to set the mind logic at which you can ride horses and other creatures for example. Using this mod would allow fine tuning the mind logic to a better level for each of the transition points.

Most of the other requirements for the server are easy compared these two core mods.

Sad that you dont have the time, i wouldve loved to play this server.

• Like 1

hell yeah im keen, but to those who are reading this, do keep in mind the 100x skillgain can hurt the longevity of a server, it really ups the pace and devalues your time.

Edited by Propheteer

Do they empty boxes mean you can't use that skill til a certain age, Like No chainsmithing until epoch 3, at epoch 3 it will be capped at 50 still?

2 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

Do they empty boxes mean you can't use that skill til a certain age, Like No chainsmithing until epoch 3, at epoch 3 it will be capped at 50 still?

Yes, there should have been a 1 in epoch 1 column for that skill. Essentially it means armor types would be extremely limited until the appropriate epoch was reached. In some cases I would limit this by crafting skill like chain smithing, platesmithing or steel making. In other cases it would mean preventing arrival in the game until the appropriate epoch (Glimmer, Ada etc)

This should have the effect of allowing people to learn about each of the different armor types, their strengths and weaknesses as the game advances through the various epochs.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:39 PM, Nappy said:

- New kingdom names will be put into place in order to further separate DesolationV4 from Wurm Online. This is essential since what is desired is a different style of gaming community then what is the current normal on either Chaos or Epic

I think that this is a good concept to expand upon. Right now these WU servers are basically clones of WO with only action timers and skill progression advancements with mods of convenience added on. Changing the Kingdom names will at least lend some unfamiliarity and newness to discover but for a real effect it would need to go beyond this with new fighting moves and spells to assist in this aspect.

This may be beyond the capacity of how WU can be changed to differentiate itself though and technically demanding beyond just changing the names of certain things. Best of luck with your concept but I think the key here is to create something distinctly different from the pvp familiar to most of the WO players. Anything added with this in mind will only perk the interest from the old familiar WO pvp guard and advance beyond the worn out Wurm pvp concept to attract others to something new along these lines.

=Ayes=

20 minutes ago, Ayes said:

This may be beyond the capacity of how WU can be changed to differentiate itself though and technically demanding beyond just changing the names of certain things. 

If you have knowledge wurm seems to be able to be modded in everything you want XD

new_races.jpg

new_skills.jpg

this was made from a russian guy on his server Dark Winter :) to bad its just a low rate server :( but as you can see there are a lot of changes possible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

I think that this is a good concept to expand upon. Right now these WU servers are basically clones of WO with only action timers and skill progression advancements with mods of convenience added on. Changing the Kingdom names will at least lend some unfamiliarity and newness to discover but for a real effect it would need to go beyond this with new fighting moves and spells to assist in this aspect.

This may be beyond the capacity of how WU can be changed to differentiate itself though and technically demanding beyond just changing the names of certain things. Best of luck with your concept but I think the key here is to create something distinctly different from the pvp familiar to most of the WO players. Anything added with this in mind will only perk the interest from the old familiar WO pvp guard and advance beyond the worn out Wurm pvp concept to attract others to something new along these lines.

=Ayes=

More or less anything can be changed, it's just a matter of time and skill honestly, it's surprising how much can be changed without ever needing to touch the client at all in fact! But even with that you can always supply people with the files needed to play on your server anyway though there may be issues with steam and changing things like the .exe (though almost nothing seem to require that to actually be changed)

Oh and there are definitely servers trying to bring the game beyond what Wurm is, the Dark Winter server has probably taken that the furthest, Conquest is doing that a good amount too where none of the WO/WU default kingdoms exist and it's all custom kingdoms/religions. Ages of Uthgard has a lot of neat things planned and a decent amount of new stuff implemented already.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 3:31 AM, Biervampyr said:

If you have knowledge wurm seems to be able to be modded in everything you want XD

new_races.jpg

new_skills.jpg

this was made from a russian guy on his server Dark Winter :) to bad its just a low rate server :( but as you can see there are a lot of changes possible!

This server has a working version of Morrowing style Alchemy, Custom Mobs, Mobs also have custom levels. Level 60 fog spider 1 hits a naked

I just want to let everyone know that the work on this slowly starts now. Nappy isn't back yet, but I'm working on it from time to time already.

If everything goes well, this project should become reality within a few months from now, but no promises yet. There is still a lot of coding left to do and I'm currently busy with other stuff as well.

At least I got a small preview of the map that's currently on the test server for you:

Spoiler

88pWtt1.png

The map size is 2048x2048, but nothing is final yet.

• Like 2

Army,

I don't think the map you shared is our final version. Seems to be missing the third set of mountains on the HOTA island.

I jsut relooked at the map. I really hope that isnt the final version - far too much water, much like Rolfs first version of the elevation map.I really didnt like that one either. I'm not a fan of island maps ........

• Like 1