Sign in to follow this  
Tich

Guide - Diagonal Roads and Ramps

[me=Tich]is putting this here to iron out any things that people would like improved before i add it to wiki[/me]

How To make Diagonal Roads

----------------------------

Diagonal roads are not to bad to create, but diagonal ramps are. So i'll start with roads :)

Note: the max slope on a diagonal road is 14 on all slopes.

First here is the shape of a diagonal road, with annotations for the Tiles, its here to show which corner to drop dirt, which tile to flatten and which slopes to check.

I'll use the tile letters to indicate corners, slopes and the tiles themselves, e.g. ABEF is a corner (the one in middle of the 4 letters), EF is slope (between the two letters) and F is a tile

North 
  A    B    C    D
      +-----+-----+
  E  |  F  |  G  |  H    I
W    +-----+-----+-----+
e  J  |  K  |  L  |  M  |  N    O
s    +-----+-----+-----+-----+
t  P    Q  |  R  |  S  |  T  |  U
            +-----+-----+-----+
        V    W  |  X  |  Y  |  Z
                  +-----+-----+
              0    1    2    3

Sanding the sides of the road

-----------------------------

For starters lets look at placing sand on these tiles (as you may want to do that on the side of the road)

Lets first dig a dirt from STXY drop it and then drop a sand, so now tiles STXY are all sand. If you now move to corner LMRS and dig, you will get a sand and it turns the other three tiles (LMR) to dirt, so drop the sand move to FGKL and repeat.

Note that if you started at FGKL and dug a dirt, dropped it and a sand and then moved to LMRS and dug, you would actually get a dirt, if you do walk back to FGKL and dig a sand, walk back to LMRS and drop dirt, then sand, redig the sand and move forward to STXY and dig dirt, drop dirt and sand, repeat... as you can see this way you do a lot more digging, so picking the correct direction can save you time.

Also as most people know, if any of the slopes on adjacent tiles are over 40 (downwards) the dirt/sand will flow, i'll leave this problem for you to solve :) - sometimes its just easier just to not sand the edge.

Mostly Flat roads

-----------------

As a lot of places where you want to put a road it isnt flat from side to side, then to get it flatter, just flatten the tiles. So assuming that you are on Tile Y going NW, flatten tiles T,X and S. You may need to do this several times as it looks nicer if all three are flat before moving forward and makes it easier when checking the slopes.

Once you are satisfied X,Y and S are ok, move forward to S and work on the next three (M, R and L) - by the way i tend to do them in that order, as it seems to help in getting them all flat.

Once you have finished the first phase you may notice some of the slopes are over 14, choice is yours on how to fix it.

e.g. if slope RS is over 14 then its likely that slope SX is zero as this is the nature of doing the above process, so easiest way to fix it is to do a 1/2 flatten on tile S, this works and makes it look better but does not solve the outside tiles (e.g. tiles M,R,T,X etc) so the easiest way would be to just dig down the high spots, or you could just reflatten them all or you may decide to make a ramp (e.g. raise the road to get rid of big slopes).

Making a Diagonal Ramp

-----------------------

Its easier to make a Diagonal Ramp from the top down hill than from the botton uphill, i'll show you why...

Uphill method (assumes you want tile F higher than tile Y)

-------------

Aim, corner FGKL should be 28 higher than LMRS which in turn should be 28 higher than corner STXY, this also means that corner MLRS is 14 higher than MNST (and QRVW) etc

Assuming that you want to make a ramp up from tile Y...here are the steps (assuming that slopes Y2 and YZ are already 14

Steps

-----

First step is to get tile S 28 higher than corner YZ23

Next raise Tile T to same height

and then raise Tile X as well

Note, you raise tile T and X to same height so the corners NOTU and WX01 are now correct height, but you now have to dig 14 dirt from Corners TUYZ  and XY12

Once you have dug down the two outer corners, raise Tile S so slope WX is 14 (and so is NT), then dig 14 down the STXY corner

As you can see it requires a lot of digging

Downhill method (assumes you want tile F lower than tile Y and currently its a lot lower than needed ;p)

---------------

Aim, corner FGKL should be 28 lower than LMRS which in turn should be 28 lower than corner STXY, this also means that corner MLRS is 14 lower than MNST (and QRVW) etc

Assuming that you want to make a ramp down from tile Y...here are the steps (assuming that slopes Y2 and YZ are already 0 and Slopes 23 and Z3 are both 28) and Tile Y is currently Flat (note slopes 21 and Z3 should both be 14 (or less as required)

This method is more tricky, but is a lot quicker (but more prone to mistakes!)

Steps

-----

Repeat whilst Slope X1 is over 14

Flatten X, make sure you stop when either slope Y2 gets to 10 OR slope X1 + slope 21 = 28 (or under)

drop enough dirt at corner YZ23 (add slope Y2 and TY to get amount needed) and flatten Y

If slope X1 is under 14 move to WX01 and dig the excess, then move back to Y

Repeat whilst Slope TU is over 14

Flatten T, make sure you stop when either slope YZ gets to 10 OR slope TU + slope Z3 = 28 (or under)

drop enough dirt at corner YZ23 (add slope YZ and YX to get amount needed) and flatten Y

If slope TU is under 14 move to NOTU and dig the excess, then move back to Y

Repeat whilst Slope ST is over 14 (14 seems to be best as it can jump by 4 dirt, so its safer)

Flatten S, make sure you stop when slope XY (or use TY as value is same) gets to 14

drop enough dirt at corner YZ23 (the slope XY value) and flatten Y

Now drop 14 dirt at YX23 and move forward to S

Repeat above!

Excellent guide, I'm going to use it to build some roads around my town.

HoTS guide to road making

pave a 1 tile road in a more or less straight line from a to b with bricks without terraforming it at all

fall down path endlessly

figure out how to navigate the road without taking damage instead of just flattening it

never sand the sides (why run from fs), expand beyond 1 tile (who needs 3 tiles seriously?), and dont even think of putting down signs.

I have a feeling I'm missing something

Also I hope you're doing an overhaul of the digging section of the wiki, it's not easy to understand as it is but this is good

HoTS guide to road making

pave a 1 tile road in a more or less straight line from a to b with bricks without terraforming it at all

fall down path endlessly

figure out how to navigate the road without taking damage instead of just flattening it

never sand the sides (why run from fs), expand beyond 1 tile (who needs 3 tiles seriously?), and dont even think of putting down signs.

I have a feeling I'm missing something

Also I hope you're doing an overhaul of the digging section of the wiki, it's not easy to understand as it is but this is good

ahah its funny cose its true

Thanks for putting pen to paper, Tich.

My only suggestion is to GoogleSketchupify this, but I'm not certain the guide will gain anything in terms of clarity (just purdiness).

Thanks for putting pen to paper, Tich.

My only suggestion is to GoogleSketchupify this, but I'm not certain the guide will gain anything in terms of clarity (just purdiness).

maybe, but i've no idea how to get pics into the wiki

I was looking through the Kyara memorial images just for fun, and was astonished at their diagonal road. From believe it was Map 3 or 6 can't remember the title on it. Now I know how to make one :D

Why not keep it simple and make straight roads ? :P

Shortest distance between two points is a (diagonal) straight line ;)

True, but i dont't like it anyways :P

I like my roads curved ... both in corners and in slope.

I like straight roads, diagonal look quiet ugly and unfitting imo... i would rather make a longer 90 degree turn, then a diagonal turn.

I pretty much hate how my friend chose to make a road I started go through a very hilly area ignoring all terrain features, rather than dispatching it 15-20 tiles, just for the sake of making it "straight". Result is a imo very ugly and slow to travel road  :(

I pretty much hate how my friend chose to make a road I started go through a very hilly area ignoring all terrain features, rather than dispatching it 15-20 tiles, just for the sake of making it "straight". Result is a imo very ugly and slow to travel road  :(

here's a diagonal ramp we build for our highway.

Each slope is 14 dirts steep. Its actually quite flat, only on a slope.

47_16_08_09_12_56_31.jpg