Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rift #WhoCareAnymore

Alright, it's not a hashtag, it's a number... or more exactly another occurence of the same thing all over again.

The usual feedback applies, some get stuff, others get nothing, it's badly balanced, yadda yadda, read it there :

Champs drop things nicely, that's for sure, only a few lucky guys (or lass) got them. Another mechanism increasing the usual envy and jealousy in wurm... good move.

Absent - Afkers - Whatever are screwed, the man said it all... involve yourself, survive, got issues, come back, have nothing. Purrfect.

Landscape destruction, he is a doomsayer you might think but nah, that's it, we got both one main highway on deli (and all it's oak wiped out) but also a peat patch destroyed.

aRSqcAz.jpg

9 days to go from now for the next rift and seeing how well (or badly) the new harvestable ressources will impact our gameplay.

Devs, are you really listening to feedback ?

well some of us are having at least a little bit of enjoyment doing rifts with friends, villagemates, kingdommates, the stuff we get is just a neat bonus (it doesnt even do anything on pvp, so...) and a tiny lump after.  who cares?  maybe we do.  game isn't about who gets the best loot to rush to wts/wta.

as for dev stuff? it's been changed what weekly, it's just a rift give it time, a lot more pressing matters than a weekly+ event

• Like 6

They need to make a hota zone for it near the spawn towns, keeps everything simple and tidy.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

Better to just spawn the loot in my inventory and skip the rift altogether.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Namekat said:

Better to just spawn the loot in my inventory and skip the rift altogether.

that my dear Namekat would be most certainly better, at least we wouldn't have to bother with the landscape destruction, the many deaths and silly mobs.

27 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

well some of us are having at least a little bit of enjoyment doing rifts with friends, villagemates, kingdommates, the stuff we get is just a neat bonus (it doesnt even do anything on pvp, so...) and a tiny lump after.  who cares?  maybe we do.  game isn't about who gets the best loot to rush to wts/wta.

Well, sadly it's not like that on freedom, i do have a bigger enjoyment when enki spawn 10 champs troll on me at an impalong, than doing a rift, spend hours with people endangering myself and friends to then see the good loot rushed on the trade chat.

For those saying i want loot, yah, i want a fair shot at it and not spend 10s to buy something from someone I helped to have that stuff. Doesn't feel fair at all. And after spending another 30+ minutes behind to fix the rift damages, i can once again say that i want some decent events for the community on PvE servers.

32 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

it's just a rift give it time, a lot more pressing matters than a weekly+ event

Balancing something properly right from the start would free a lot of devs times instead of band aids after band aids... Rifts being one of the "big" release of the latest major update.

3 hours ago, MrGARY said:

as for dev stuff? it's been changed what weekly, it's just a rift give it time, a lot more pressing matters than a weekly+ event

Sums it up.

People consider these as dragon slayings too, ways to make more money. But I would say if the loot distribution is broken then it should be fixed somehow. Those doing more dmg should get better/more loot.

Also, an idea that people might like :

If they keep the system as a limited drop system, everyone would get a chance to be a part of the rifts. Just like in csgo, every player gets only a limited number of drops in a day. Similarly, in a rift a player should only get a limited amount of drops, like 2 or 3 or whatever number. If that count is reached, neither FS nor any items can be gained from killing the monsters. The rarity of drops/quality of items and what items should be random. This way people won't go around killing everything to obtain everything, thus everyone gets a chance to be part of this.

Also on lines of what Niki said, an enclosed area where there is basically countless mobs, one dies new spawn. And combination of my previous idea of limited fs/drop gain. That way people will kill the amount of mobs till they reach the limit and then head home.

Example: An enclosed area with 20 mobs, every mob dies > another one replaces it. Each player can gain drops/ fs from only 5 mob kills (whether group or solo). So, after killing 5 mobs the player gets neither FS nor any drop, hence they go back home without wasting any more time there. The count of that area should remain 20 all the time until the rift closes, then everyone who comes can get a chance to kill some mobs and a random chance for loot. Simple as that, +1 my idea peasants!

Edited by Hashirama

I find rifts a lot more enjoyable than dragon slayings, Shouldn't be about the loot in my view, more about just having fun as a community which I have done at all the ones I have attended.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Odynn said:

Landscape destruction, he is a doomsayer you might think but nah, that's it, we got both one main highway on deli (and all it's oak wiped out) but also a peat patch destroyed.

aRSqcAz.jpg

:(

This over-destructive rift nonsense has to stop! We can't let this folly continue to destroy our environment!

For the entertainment of those players who seem to enjoy theme park features like this, devs could create isolated playfields or "rift arenas", without harming the environment or annoying peaceful players.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, shakys said:

I find rifts a lot more enjoyable than dragon slayings, Shouldn't be about the loot in my view, more about just having fun as a community which I have done at all the ones I have attended.

The community part is mostly the reason I go to slayings/rifts/impalongs. Just wish I had more time. :(

The griefy rift terraforming has to go though. I don't see what value it has on PvE servers where the landscape + everything on it is valued most.

Edited by syncaidius
  • Like 1

#WhoCaresAnymore #NotWorthIt #PityLump #SorryNotSorry

So many flavours in the world... Why all the salt :rolleyes:

But yeah rifts are fun... ish always funny watching people pay for doing silly things. Would be nice if the land went back to normal after the rift ended i mean does the wreaked land really add anything to the game?  

maybe something like this would be an better way to implement the rift invasion. Just without the templer setting and just a toggle in village setting and of course with no terraforming...just an idea.

couldnt try out the Feature as im still to low with equippment but it sounds reasonable

I find the rifts good fun, and even though I couldn't make the last one (bit late for me), I like that they slowly work through the timezones.  The loot-at-the-end model seems better and less random, and given that they come around every 10 days anyway, there should be plenty of chances for those who really want the loot, but don't want to pay.  Also, it's not like there's finite loot (e.g. like dragon scale) which is split across a variable pool of people - with the mob number scaling, there's plenty for everyone, and loot generated at the end for all participants.

There are a few minor balance issues outstanding, and land destruction is one of them.  While I can see the story-driven reasons for having a chunk of land destruction, really, we'd be better sticking to the sandbox roots where the story is what you make yourself.  The land destruction does seem a bit OTT at present, case in point above.  Not sure if it's been fixed as yet, but there was also a participation issue at the last-but-one, where Fo priests casting mass heals get massive participation; given that they're burning resource, I'm not sure that's that much of a problem, but it is an anomoly.

In short, I care about rifts, I still enjoy them, and (land destruction notwithstanding) I think they're not too bad in terms of implementation and balance.

• Like 2

I find players do more damage to the area then the rift itself.

Look at all the trees they cut down and stumps left behind.

Then theres all the fencing , buildings and other piles of garbage  they dont remove.

They start digging holes and lvling large swats of a area to build on.

As for loot , i get some other times and most times i dont.

Forcing only a certain few mobs to give a chance at drops is just plain dum and lame , players just avoid the crap mob and head for the loot dropers.

Now also having this rift spawn in the south only is another problem to people who live way north and dont have all day to ride or if lucky sail there.

Yes i could leave the day before , but not all have the time to do so in real life , make them spawn north some or is there a border that stops that half way on Xanadu?

Yesterday on Xanadu before the rift opened, some players had constructed a safe zone a good distance (maybe 25-35 tiles) from the rift beam. I soon realized this is absolutely a necessary preparation as the hoards pushed the 40-50 players back against the safe zone walls numerous times.  As it was my first rift I was able to peck out a few questions during the fray and several asked me if I were doing the fighting mostly from the safe zone walls or up close to the rift.  I never understood why the questions mattered as I was contributing to the fight in both locations depending on where the hoard pushed us or how we managed to push back.

If it matters for rewards how close we are to the rift center or where we are when we are finally able to drop the enemy - I think that should be completely revised.  It is nigh impossible to hold a line outside of player-made walls especially when the wave starts.  It would not be fair to penalize players if they are pushed back against any kind of safe zone created for the purpose.  I mention this only because players seemed to be indicating the closer you are to the center of the rift the better.  This is not a realistic possibility for every moment of the encounters.  There is just too much push/pull during the wave.  I hope this is not how it works.

Not knowing how participation is scored, I hope that participation is measured by some tangible factor (like the number of hits scored against creatures) rather than by something that can be manipulated (like the number of creatures you hit).  If the latter, I can see how some players can run around striking a single hit on multiple creatures as a way to rack up points).  The former seems much more fair.  

My last comment is about the creatures themselves and the distribution of loot.  I believe I read that some creatures drop loot and others do not.  So let's ponder that.  When I arrived I just dropped my tent and ran for the first creature I could find, which ended up being a hound-type creature.  I spent a lot of time wacking at them and also the other lower level creatures.  This effort helped in the overall fight but now I know that these creatures do not drop loot.  Of course, the experienced players press through this wall of low-level creatures and focus on the venerable big boys and now I know why - so they can get loot.  Let me ask how is this fair?  Some mid-level player spends his focus on the little creatures and gets nothing for the effort - an effort that helped the higher-level players reach their goal of getting to the higher-level creatures with better loot.  All this seems a bit unfair to be honest.

Anyway, thought I would provide some additional feedback from someone experiencing the rift for the first time.  I hope it helps make the experience better for everyone.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pandalet said:

Not sure if it's been fixed as yet, but there was also a participation issue at the last-but-one, where Fo priests casting mass heals get massive participation; given that they're burning resource, I'm not sure that's that much of a problem, but it is an anomaly.

1 hour ago, Pandalet said:

Also, it's not like there's finite loot (e.g. like dragon scale) which is split across a variable pool of people - with the mob number scaling, there's plenty for everyone, and loot generated at the end for all participants.

Well, there we go, rift loot is even more finite than dragon scale (which should have been scaling as suggested years ago) because only champions drop it (but not everyone can target / hit them) and the loot generated at the end is not 100% as said by Budda, so you might well end with nothing but a fraction of a lump.

On 14/07/2016 at 0:34 PM, DevBlog said:

Rift loot Tweaks

• Tweaked distance to killing a rift creature to 4 tiles from 5 to get participation.
  • Participation levels tweaked from 10/20/40 to 15/20/60 points.
  • Following healing spells will now have a chance to gain participation when user or target are within the rift zone: Cure Light, Cure Medium, Cure Serious, Light of Fo, Heal, Scorn of Libila
  • Drain Health will have a small chance if the target is a Rift creature
  • Final loot table is now random between seryll, glimmer and adamantine lumps. Lump weight will be dependant on participation in the same manner as QL.

On 25/07/2016 at 6:03 AM, Budda said:

With your participation score, you would've had 3 rolls of 37.5% chance to get a drop of loot - the highest chances possible. The lump weights were changed to be based on participation as well, in a similar manner to how the QL is determined for the lumps. With your score you would've got between 80% and 100% of the possible lump weight. Lower participation scores would have a lower % of the total weight of a lump.

Participation. Do the number matter or is it only the level, if phenomenal is what give you the max chance of loot, no point going farther than the 60 points.

Some more explanation and proper tweaks are needed here.

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I find players do more damage to the area then the rift itself.

Look at all the trees they cut down and stumps left behind.

Then theres all the fencing , buildings and other piles of garbage  they dont remove.

5 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

I dunno why you need to build anything at all

Behavior of the mobs force us to create those secure pens for the spare horses seing everything close to the jackals invaders is fair game. And wave 3 quickly push everyone to their limit and the needed retreats / heal time, 50 or so mobs spawning on you, 120+ waiting inside the rift is quickly over the top, the scaling is nice but dangerous.

That being said, trees regrow, fences will decay overtime and much of the garbage can be removed (burn the logs / scraps / whatever). The community here can do more than just come and profit, simple tricks like using low QL iron for the nails and burning the QL of planks down will help for the fence decay. Staying after the rift to repair what's repairable is also doable. Not a lot do that, not on Deli at least and no idea on the others servers.

Trouble has being said countless times is when the rifts hit ressource tiles or hard to create ones. What are our options for the peat now, make transmutation liquid and hope for the best ?

8 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

My last comment is about the creatures themselves and the distribution of loot.  I believe I read that some creatures drop loot and others do not.  So let's ponder that.  [...]  Of course, the experienced players press through this wall of low-level creatures and focus on the venerable big boys and now I know why - so they can get loot. [...]  All this seems a bit unfair to be honest.

Only champions and warmaster drop loot. Everything else used to drop loot before but that

was removed by the devs. Standing close to the rifts core do nothing, trying to be on the edge (but still inside the area) and fight small groups together is the better option.

Be smart and wait outside not in? Let those who wish to wait inside die? Have situational awareness and don't let your horse die? I guess it's back to the greed of freedom not wanting to work together or something because the ones I've been at need no buildings or spare horse pens or legions of healers I get the sense that most issues are player created. I still think the terraforming is dumb and I think the loot drops put only on the champs/war master made the rest of the rift feel like a chore, not because I want more useless loot but because I guess it gives more excitement that there is a chance from all creatures rather than spending a few hours doing the house work cleaning the waste mobs and late comers don't miss out or those who can't stay long

• Like 7

Well, that was my last rift - too much damage to the environment - and to my kit, waste of good skilling up time, etc.  all for a lump of seryll or silly items that are just fluff and of no use on pve servers.  Also the orgy of killing has now sickened me and the greed, etc - community things need to be more truly community orientated, rather than divisive.  Until it is fixed properly, no more rifts for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Baloo said:

silly items that are just fluff and of no use on pve servers.

The funny part is that pve is the only place they have actual use

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

The funny part is that pve is the only place they have actual use

Im sure that dopesnt include the anti shatter liquid or all the potions we might get to imbue in tools, masks and so on.

In my opinion many of the prizes are usable in pvE. Wow so we waited years for shoulder pads, when they come out a GM says they are pvp stuff? I dont agree.

• Like 1

Not sure where you saw that written :huh:

Maybe read what I said again, rift loot has no benefits on PVP servers.

• Like 1