Sign in to follow this  
ozmods

great hall dimensions

hi wurmians, i'm looking to build a hall on my deed, but I want something that's reflective of a hall, where kings and queens would entertain ttheir guest, understandably it wont be the same as it would have been in those times, but what i'm basically asking is, has anyone got a link to a place where I can find out what the approx. dimensions would have been for a building of that architectural design. I've got a load of space, and I have my kitchen already built, I just need to find a great hall where I could entertain my "guests" lol...

cheers all.

Depends what kind of a look you're going for - Something kind of Cathedrally? Can probably find rough dimensions of some European cathedrals easily enough online. For more of a single room with no columns I'm sure there's a Harry Potter fansite that could dredge up some numbers for the rough (or more likely very VERY precise) dimensions for the Hall in the films. If you're thinking more along the lines of Viking longhouses a quick google suggests: "typically 5 to 7 meters wide (16 to 23 feet) and anywhere from 15 to 75 meters long (50 to 250 feet), depending on the wealth and social position of the owner".

Here's a pretty nice guide for a UK castle with room dimensions and seating layout plans for a variety of guest numbers: http://eastnorcastle.com/corporate/room-dimensions/

• Like 1

actually that helped immensely thankyou for that.