Sign in to follow this  
Jukken

Questions on multiple servers

I'm trying to setup two servers and connect them together.

I'm a total newbie on this.

Two computers running one map each. One PvE and one PvP.

From what I have read on the multi-server wiki, there can only be one login-server (ok?)

Ok, I set the PvE server as the login server.

It workes fine, I can ride a boat and end up on the other server, back and forth, workes fine.

Questions:

1. Now I always have to login to the PvE server, and then ride over to the PvP server using a boat. How do I set this up so I can start on the PvP or the PvE server directly?

2. If I ride over to the PvP server, I'm a member of the Freedom Isle kingdom. How do I select which of the other kingdoms to join? Since I always start on the PvE server, I never get the windows with kingdom selection.

On 07/23/2016 at 5:52 AM, Jukken said:

I'm trying to setup two servers and connect them together.

I'm a total newbie on this.

Two computers running one map each. One PvE and one PvP.

From what I have read on the multi-server wiki, there can only be one login-server (ok?)

Ok, I set the PvE server as the login server.

It workes fine, I can ride a boat and end up on the other server, back and forth, workes fine.

Questions:

1. Now I always have to login to the PvE server, and then ride over to the PvP server using a boat. How do I set this up so I can start on the PvP or the PvE server directly?

2. If I ride over to the PvP server, I'm a member of the Freedom Isle kingdom. How do I select which of the other kingdoms to join? Since I always start on the PvE server, I never get the windows with kingdom selection.

1. New characters always start on the login server. And the only way to get to another server is to sail over there or set-up some portals.

2. The only way to change kingdoms on a PvP server is either get a player already in the required kingdom to convert you or get a GM to do it, Changing religion at the BL will make you HotS.

So, getting the Kingdom selection (like you do when you create your character on a pvp server usually), is impossible?

Will be very cumbersom setup...when server is new and no players to convert.

Edited by Jukken

Yes, without mods (and i don't know any publicly available ones that do what you won't) - it's not possible at the moment.

I've never played on Chaos, but everyone there starts as Freedom players?

Just a word of advice.   If you run clusters remember that your login server will take a pretty hard performance hit.  There are also issues with clusters talking to the login server and poll timers taking to long and what you'll end up with is DB updates eventually lagging behind which can lead to data loss.   We have addressed many issues with mods to compensate for this issue. 

1. Decay tick mod which removes piles of wood, stumps, stone shards off deed. 

2. Fixed Adate table calculations from clusters to login server

3. Animal purge to keep MaxCreature counts below the MaxCreature settings. 

Hopefully the poll timers will be addressed in future patches as its polling each zone on each server at the same time, Trees, items, animals, etc..  This needs to be broken out and optimized for cluster servers with a heavy load of either high creature counts, player counts or both.  

Hope that helps. 

Thanks.

I'll keep this in mind.

The PvE login server is about 10 times as powerful as the smaller PvP server.

Jukken you should be able to use the mission ruler to set something up on the pvp server for people to choose a kingdom, other than that you would need to do something with a mod.

1 hour ago, Xyp said:

Jukken you should be able to use the mission ruler to set something up on the pvp server for people to choose a kingdom, other than that you would need to do something with a mod.

This does work.    Im working on some notes ive played with the mission ruler a bit with a couple others on our server.    I think we need a wiki on the current system.   Its not the most intuitive. 

Anyone running clusters make sure you check my post on issues with current version of 1.0.0.7 on cluster / login issues.   I know some are being addressed in the next patch but you need to be aware of what your getting in to.  

Id also (if i could have one wish or do over) would have loved setting up a very small server / map for a login server (but very beefy) and then set up the rest of the maps as clusters.    

A 4k populated login server is not the ideal solution using SQLite with lots of buildings, creatures, items, and players.     Trust me on this one!! 

1 hour ago, razoreqx said:

A 4k populated login server is not the ideal solution using SQLite with lots of buildings, creatures, items, and players.     Trust me on this one!! 

There is probably a reason why WO uses the old GV as the login server :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bdew said:

There is probably a reason why WO uses the old GV as the login server :P

Yea sore subject with me now.. dont get me started :)   And I can see doing a GV solution with the server browser counting steam ID's showing a population of zero.  (empty server nothing to see here)  

No casual server admin wanting a hundred friends in a virtual sandbox, write mods, and create "their own world"  is going to be able to afford throwing a $6000 dollar enterprise server at this problem to host a free server :P  

Edited by razoreqx

22 hours ago, Xyp said:

Sounds like a good way. Where is this located? I can't find any "Kingdom change" in trigger effects though.

I have to do one for a new cluster going in this weekend..  i'll make a video. 

I have another problem related to multi-server cluster.

One major problem:

Setup: Two servers, server1 (login server) and server2 (neighbor).

I set server1 TREEGROWTH to 0 - no spreading of trees, sprouts will not grow. All good.

I set server2 TREEGROWTH to 20 - does the same thing, no treegrowth and all sprouts die off.

For some odd reason, the setting on server1 is used on server2 ?

If I set server1 TREEGROWTH = 20 ...server2 starts growing sprouts. (?)

(of course this is set on both servers db-file)

Edited by Jukken

the lower the number the fast the trees spread. so 1 is your best number, 0 turns it off

I want it turned off on server1...and on for server2.

However, turning it off on server1 also turns it off at server2...very annoying.

That is odd, should make sure this gets to the attention of Vyonette to add to bug lists, that should not be an intended feature, at least not for WU (speaking of tree growth)

On another note, I plan to work on a fairly simple portal system within the next week or 2 for myself. Will be 3 different kinds of portals, 1 to go to another server, another to go to a location on the server, and another to choose a kingdom and poof you to that kingdoms starter town. All using data 1 data 2 and alt data you set to do their jobs. Will let you know when I get that done (I hate the mission ruler). I just still have to figure out how to handle the pvp one, because it needs to not send people back to the protected portal area should they go back to pve and try to use the pvp portal again.

Edited by Xyp