Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

The Yellow Subway - Also known as Odynn Tub(e).

Here we go,

After a few cryptic announcment in Freedom chat about highways disruptions... and a few players knowing the project and helping with it, I'm proud to present the (almost) finished cave canal between Echo lake and Rainbow lake.

dN3TPtR.jpg

(green arrows are access points)

Idea started years ago with a player named Juliar (in our alliance) who wanted some kind of harbour by her place and a canal going to it. We had a start on echo lake side but the rock layer was way too shallow to do anything proper. Nor we had the time to do it properly. Juliar left, but the idea remained in a corner of my head (swizz cheeze full of hole, can be a real mess there I swear).

Both Echo and Rainbow access are easy to find with their bridges towering above the canals. The canal is lit with yellow 70QL imperial lamps (because it's a subway/tube/metro/underground thingy). And the canal run for the bigger part bellow the current northern highway to be out of the way of future deeds mine (and also allow them to have their own underground harbour).

Trivia - Around 400 tiles long. Most veins were murdered with lava. Almost 2K of concrete have been used to raise the rock layer allowing shorter open air canals. Also Odynn never bathed that much.

Hall of Fame.

6Jht0uG.jpg

(yes, the lack of list is an incentive for you to visit the tunnel)

Midgard Harbour.

Bn6ue37.jpg

(no knarr here yet, we still need to finish the floor mining)

Nota : We will have updates, typo to fix and others stuff to add in due time... yadda yadda, queue legal disclaimer plox.

Edited by Odynn
Moar stuff to add
  • Like 13

Congratulations! This is an awesome job! (And yours is a lot longer than mine... <boat tunnel> :P)

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

Odynn, you're insane ;-)

And thats another very nice addition to the awesomeness thats called Deliverance

Did you hear anything from Juliar in the past 3 years ? From what I've seen she started playing WU last year when it was released

• Like 1

We are all very happy to have you around, Odynn :)

And an "Extremely well done!" for you.

• Like 2

not odynn's loop? you need to get with the times

• Like 2

Awesome. But how do you murder veins with lava?

Edited by griper
  • Like 1

dig to rock, use pop power erupt on the vein tile above (mole sense to check it), freeze it, disintegrate the lava wall underground. save you a few thousands actions.

And no Galad, haven't heard anything from juliar.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2016 at 2:02 PM, griper said:

Awesome. But how do you murder veins with lava?

He stares at them for hours, then they start to cry and crawl away.

• Like 3

Wow Odynn, you are always working on some sort of mining project haha!

Congratulations to those that worked on it. It looks like an amazing tunnel. 

• Like 1

OH wow! I cannot be more grateful for this. I have ALWAYS wanted a canal/tunnel from echo-rainbow lake

Odynn you have certainly outdone yourself this time.

Eternally grateful for those who worked on this project <3

• Like 2

Rainbow lake entrance as seen from the marble bridge :

uwbCTyZ.jpg

IaEtpBO.jpg

It's not a rare knarr in a yellow colored cave canal, It's the tube being used for a 1.3K iron delivery for the first time. (yish, i had the knarr in it for the support beams and the iron vein was just a bit farther in the canal, but still 30km/h wooooooooooo!!!)

• Like 3

I did not know Odynn took baths I thought he just shed his skin everyday.

This is awesome, maybe now Awen and I will get more seafaring visitors here at Astoria! Just so everyone knows, Awen will be dredging out Rainbow Lake (long term project) so the lake will be deeper to accommodate the larger ships.

Echo / Bear / Rainbow need a serious dredging (as well as expansion to their old size i'd say :D)

Not sure what Rainbow's original size was, but we're working on our side to make it right. Gonna need a TON of transmutation liquid to clear some of this clay under water, though.

Echo got shrink of a good third if not half it's size. Bear a bit, in fact rainbow might have gained a few tiles. I believe we would need channels first to allow bigger boats to sail around properly. Can always mark them by sinked pillars... should be high enough to poke through the water line.

I've been starting to fix the canal flanks, but the lack of cave slope is a real mess (as well as the use of concrete).

Edited by Odynn

What happened to make them so shallow? I know I randomly get stuck in a rowboat moving around Echo.

Heh, same as everything else, unless you see a fugly dirt spike, natural. Your side on echo (west for those who are wondering) is the worse, east is way deeper.

Bear is worse iirc. Had to drag a corbita on half the way to get rid of it.

we need a ash donation then ill keep the concrete flowing better, thats if u need more concrete. Anyhow looks really good. =)

If it's so shallow (meaning the rock here) - are we going to get sails passing through the grass/forest/roads above the canal now? Will be a funny sight. Good work :)

Next project Nightmare to Echo? (Or would that be your worst nightmare). Getting close to where ships can go through the middle of the server and come out at the other side.

25 minutes ago, Kianga said:

If it's so shallow (meaning the rock here) - are we going to get sails passing through the grass/forest/roads above the canal now? Will be a funny sight. Good work :)

Next project Nightmare to Echo? (Or would that be your worst nightmare). Getting close to where ships can go through the middle of the server and come out at the other side.

A canal from one side of the sever to the other....sounds like a plan!