Sign in to follow this  
TradingAlt

PUBLIC PVP CHANGES THREAD (BY THE REAL PVPERS)

13 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

If you cant build far away you no longer need to go far away? If you cant build far away the enemy cant either? I'm sorry but I used to enjoy riding all around to different places on old Elevation regardless if it was my kingdoms territory or not. Do you not need to travel to far away places looking for people, hunting or just generally enjoying the scenery? Hell one of the reasons I detest traveling to home servers anymore is because the map was made huge and its 2-3 hours sailing alone without even considering the time spent actually there doing anything slightly interesting.

Tower capping is not the only factor when considering travel times, its just a convenient way to advocate the removal.

what do you think needs to change to get people back into the game then?

I don't know, do you think removing hellhorses would be the answer?

I don't claim to have any magic answers but I imagine fixing bugs and advertising might be a step in the right direction

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

I don't know, do you think removing hellhorses would be the answer?

I don't claim to have any magic answers but I imagine fixing bugs and advertising might be a step in the right direction

I think it'd be 1 step in the right direction. No one change is going to make the game perfect, but some things I do think need need removing or atleast modifying in some way. And any of the things that cause de-sync issues are some of the more important ones.

Hell horses also are just another stepping stone that if people don't adapt to will be defeated easily. Hell horse with maxed gear can enter and leave archery range before a shot can even be fired in some cases. This isn't even considering other things that effect it, like the armor archery penalty, or the abuse of oakshell making these extremely quick horses that don't have a speed penalty and are incredibly tanky. Also please no one say just dispel them, because you can be out of dispel range before a cast can even finish.

Edited by TradingAlt

18 hours ago, MrGARY said:

yeah lets remove anything fast instead of making slow things faster because we need bigger maps and slower travel this makes the game more fun and easier for new people to get into

the problem is that the faster everyone goes, the harder it is to catch someone, as you have to be stationary while doing archery the enemy is still blazing away at 50kmh which gives you maybe 3 arrows through an entire local if you manage to catch him as he's running straight through you, if he ran at 20kmh you'd be able to shoot a considerably bigger amount of arrows, which also hinders tactics and player input in general since no matter where you position yourself, the enemy will always get away unless you've got 5-6 people shooting from the start, and even then there's been plenty of encounters where they've still got away

and this map is ######, too big, too much chokepoints, get rid of it

Edited by changer

Consideration instead of removing hellhorses:

buffing traps ( probably a decent rework so they're viable dehorning methods for normal and hellhorses, currently have only seen one trap effectively work ( and attempted team kill from a trap from the famous "not in cave" bug which made me run through it like four times :( )

making archery from horseback work ( don't see this as much of an issue, if you're kiting on horseback and shooting nerds, they can shoot back )

(buffing throwing spears? Never tested against horses)

• Like 1

Isn't the single biggest issue for PvP the lack of incentive to actually GO AND PVP?

When I played on JKH and we were weaksauce, getting preyed on by BL, it felt like there was a REASON to play.  We were getting raided constantly, and although there were other problems with getting people together to fight or having proper leadership, there was an actual OBJECTIVE, which was "drive off the enemies, protect our deeds, fight the good fight" or whatever.  When I logged into the game, I knew that there might be a new report of some deed that was raided, or a fight that occurred, maybe even one going on somewhere as I entered the world.  It made me feel like I had a purpose, something to do, something to accomplish.  Having that incentive gave us a sense of immersion that unbelievably realistic graphics, amazing PvP content, or the most attentive and encouraging staff could never compete with.

Later, on Elevation, it was like everyone played other games, grinded, or did other ###### until it was time for HotA, then it'd be a big stalemate, one team would win, and we'd go back to deed mourning the loss of our treasured "PvP".  If an actual fight occurred beyond a death or two (usually didn't even get that) everyone would be like "oh my god this is PvP for real we found it, how ###### awesome is this i'm trembling and stuff yup da pvp shakes" and then everyone would get EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING... for like two days until the monotony set in again.

The thing that started to become really annoying in the last few years was the idea of PvP as a commodity, or item to pursue.  People would be like "we have to find the PvP" or "where's the PvP" or "there's a lack of PvP".  It was like some kind of addictive drug that everyone was after, as if there was no other way to experience it other than making a specific effort to.

If the actual in-game environment was set up in a way that made contact and combat an unavoidable part of the "simulation", people wouldn't need to actively pursue PvP - they would be trying to find ways to deal with and experience the inevitable PvP that would most certainly find THEM.

Idk, just some thoughts...

Edited by Fireflyb
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, changer said:

the problem is that the faster everyone goes, the harder it is to catch someone, as you have to be stationary while doing archery the enemy is still blazing away at 50kmh which gives you maybe 3 arrows through an entire local if you manage to catch him as he's running straight through you, if he ran at 20kmh you'd be able to shoot a considerably bigger amount of arrows, which also hinders tactics and player input in general since no matter where you position yourself, the enemy will always get away unless you've got 5-6 people shooting from the start, and even then there's been plenty of encounters where they've still got away

yeah it is a problem, but it's not related to just fast horses.  On old ele one of the bl noobs I forget his name he played with herblin, iamncheese or something, I found him on hota and was on my hh with rare/supreme gear I can't remember what I had, but he was on a slower normal horse yet I couldn't get a single arrow on the horse before he made it to the bl hota deed.  It was all too far away, or just shooting at random tiles for fun.  It's not gonna be all perfect but removing some of these archery nerfs and re-increasing the max distance longbow can shoot would help some

I've only really found that to be an issue with really small things like sudden encounters, but that can often lead to larger fights aka everytime namekat found someone but managed to live with his 60ql horse gear.  Plenty of time we'd end up going home with someone else's rare horse gear, same thing happened near kings landing when we trapped jk, the first guy we killed left his rare gear under him for us to take but the first jk back to deed was on a barded backup.  Not saying it's all fine and dandy but some changes can help.  Just have to balance pvp being not just a 100% slaughter don't even try and 100% by choice.  The first is fun for only one side and makes the other give up, the second creates stagnation and boredom and people quit

28 minutes ago, Fireflyb said:

Isn't the single biggest issue for PvP the lack of incentive to actually GO AND PVP?

When I played on JKH and we were weaksauce, getting preyed on by BL, it felt like there was a REASON to play.  We were getting raided constantly, and although there were other problems with getting people together to fight or having proper leadership, there was an actual OBJECTIVE, which was "drive off the enemies, protect our deeds, fight the good fight" or whatever.  When I logged into the game, I knew that there might be a new report of some deed that was raided, or a fight that occurred, maybe even one going on somewhere as I entered the world.  It made me feel like I had a purpose, something to do, something to accomplish.  Having that incentive gave us a sense of immersion that unbelievably realistic graphics, amazing PvP content, or the most attentive and encouraging staff could never compete with.

Later, on Elevation, it was like everyone played other games, grinded, or did other ###### until it was time for HotA, then it'd be a big stalemate, one team would win, and we'd go back to deed mourning the loss of our treasured "PvP".  If an actual fight occurred beyond a death or two (usually didn't even get that) everyone would be like "oh my god this is PvP for real we found it, how ###### awesome is this i'm trembling and stuff yup da pvp shakes" and then everyone would get EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING... for like two days until the monotony set in again.

The thing that started to become really annoying in the last few years was the idea of PvP as a commodity, or item to pursue.  People would be like "we have to find the PvP" or "where's the PvP" or "there's a lack of PvP".  It was like some kind of addictive drug that everyone was after, as if there was no other way to experience it other than making a specific effort to.

If the actual in-game environment was set up in a way that made contact and combat an unavoidable part of the "simulation", people wouldn't need to actively pursue PvP - they would be trying to find ways to deal with and experience the inevitable PvP that would most certainly find THEM.

Pretty spot on in my opinion. Thats the reason why i continue to push for more objectives as a player..

Reasons to make people leave deed. A static HOTA location dominated by 1 group does not for the most part make many people want to even try it. Make it a random spawn location and id be willing to bet that would see that change in activity for HOTA. 

Currently the only thing people have really is deed raiding and that needs to change. Deed raiding should be a viable option for pvp but they need to figure out a reason to make players come outside of their walls to actually attempt defending. Skrimishes even with 0 deaths is for the most part all people want.. A little tug of war. 

But overall lack of incentives to pvp is IMO the biggest issue. All these other changes like armour balance and meditation balance (sotg) will only go so far. Without reasons to risk death we will hit that same wall of stagnation and that will continue to have a negative impact on the game. 

Heres to high hopes!

57 minutes ago, Fireflyb said:

that's why mechanics which ultimately leads to stagnation through deterring aggression should be changed/removed, if it's easier and accessible for people to attack enemy territory by raiding/roaming/sieging etc, more people will ultimately do just that (which we did by attacking jkh) , which will create unforced pvp, either by increasing decay of off-deed buildings/walls on pvp servers, disabling underwater building or the rest of the stuff in this thread, maybe even insert a tibia loot-dropping system if anyone played that game

Edited by changer

They could also add something to make killing people worth it? as of right now if I kill someone I literally get nothing. Like .0001FS  + I am already in maxed out gear, so yeah lootwise I don't get anything lol..

11 hours ago, changer said:

the enemy will always get away unless you've got 5-6 people shooting from the start, and even then there's been plenty of encounters where they've still got away

lol  If a player has less chance of getting away then he will skirmish / engage less / stay in safer areas = less pvp.

And I did warn about choke points killing roaming before the reset but some ppl said fighting over choke points is fun, idk why when you cant really remove an enemy deed.

Edited by Omar

12 hours ago, Fireflyb said:

Well, yes and no. The loot itself is worth it, especially at the time we were hitting JKH simply because JKH had deeds similar to how the game used to be. They were fairly spread out, the massively populated ones were built up but not to an insane degree like the experienced players were build, and a good portion of the rest were built well enough to give people a chance to actually defend their home. It encouraged us because we could go there on the weekend and have some fun knowing we would likely get PvP and if we didn't we would get some loot. It's why the majority of the time we tried not to grief people and I would yell at people for doing such.

On JKH, you also had newer players, some not insane veterans defending somewhat defendable deeds is enough of a combination to spark a skirmish, and a skirmish will bring more people. The problem with the game currently is there is a lack of new blood, and Rolf has made the game so easy to defend that you will never once take a risk if you know what youre doing. No risk = no spark = no skirmish = no pvp. No PvP results in people getting pissy and bored, especially in conjunction with no loot.

I know when we were hitting JKH the dynamic of the server was basically BL were the aggressors. JK were on the defense and MRs presence was entirely negligible. It wouldn't have mattered if the kingdom existed or not. What a lot of people don't see is when there is only one kingdom trying hard to stir the pot, it burns them out. We were fortunate that we had a lot of productive people, and we had leaders spread out enough to ensure no matter what time of day something was getting done and people were getting prepared for whatever the next event was. I know I was fortunate enough to have been in HS and later working from home to be able to dedicate enough time to help supply the insane amount of resources we needed to compete. I remember I wouldn't even let us leave if we didnt have a satchel full of vesseled gems, 10 quivers of 50ql+ arrows, raid tools, barrel with water/bread/meals, two unfinished catapults and ammo using the old infinite volume satchel glitch, and spare cotton/horsegear in our rare boat. On top of this, for any large scale raids or whatever we had many people working pretty hard to get resources, like our Zerus raid we had groups of people digging their entire playtime every day for days on end like Karellean or making 400 crates like Monokles. It was bad enough being the smaller kingdom of the three, even worse when you had to work twice as hard to get anything done because its more than twice as hard to be an aggressor.

With only one kingdom doing the aggression, only one kingdom is doing a lot of work. It will burn out the leaders first because they are spending their time making the experience enjoyable for everyone else, and then everyone else will burn out and not just because of the work. The game has a problem with new player retention, and when you have an increase in veterans you have more people abusing game mechanics to make deeds not worth even attempting to mess with and you have less people making a mistake which results in less PvP. Less PvP = Less Loot + Work Burnout = Less Aggression. It's why a lot of our players would quit for months. If you had two kingdoms instead going at it, the server would look much more lively, even more than it was with just one and one side wouldn't be getting burnt out so often. If you had three, even moreso, but the third kingdom has hardly ever shifted the dynamic of the server since its implementation and i largely think thats down to population.

If we could make the PvP experience more risky so people would actually die, the server would look more lively and the more lively it looks the more people it will attract and that will continue. If it looks like people are having fun, new people will come. At the minute its so hard to make progress in actually getting a fight that people just get pissy and bored because you have to wait hours for little timothy to leave the gatehop and make a mistake because you don't want to spend two months preparing to raid his 900 slope dirtwalled deed. When little timothy actually leaves deed, you can't do anything because Rolf has set up the game in such a way where he is encouraged as much as possible to maintain as many deeds as possible, built in ways that abuse as many mechanics as possible, and if for what ever reason he is not near those deeds, Rolf has given more than ample opportunity to instantly vanish with all of his gear no strings attached. Thanks Karma/Recall Home! Mechanics like that, and DR stacking just make it too easy to escape, the first being for long distance skirmishes, the second for gatehops.

I enjoyed raiding JKH, but I got bored with nobody coming to raid me, and it was the same before that and the same after. Having played this game for as long as i can remember, I can count the number of times i've had to actually defend my deed on both my hands. Yes, LESS THAN TEN times, on Epic and Wild combined, and thats saying something considering there used to be PvP every week/weekend or whatever. Doesn't sound right, does it? (and this is a sample size of at least 8 years, which is when i actually started to invest a lot of time into the game instead of playing on/off like an ADD kid.)

Hopefully someone gets some use out of this rambling, I really enjoyed this game and I hope I can do so again, but the developers don't seem to be taking the game in a direction my friends or I would enjoy. I came to this conclusion when it took a group of 18 people over three days on/off to raid an s15 deed because there were safemines every tile and we burned over 7 satchels of gems disintegrating and still didn't get into over half the ######. Hexproof, Ezalor, Zekezor, Fevster, Rai, Orlaz, Chev, Superspazz, and many others can all attest to ###### like this happening often. It was further drilled into me that this was a game i would no longer enjoy when doing something like that made building any deed in a similarly cancerous fashion take like 8 hours more at the most if you were working at a snails pace with hardly any help.

tl;dr rolf has made the game as hard as possible for the aggressors and continues to do so, no aggression = no pvp = people get bored.

memories

Omar, the statement you made about players not going to take a risk if they can't get away simply isn't true at least when you look at the past where it was infinitely easier to catch someone. Look at the stories or videos involving combat before anyone had these garbage meditation paths, deeds every two feet, or traited horses.

Oh, and for maximum nostalgia, heres our old alliance MOTD.

Also, one last thing. I'd like to remind everyone that I took the heads of just about everyone who was an active participant of PvP on epic at any point in time. Thanks for getting me to 99.99996. Sucks the server is dead. But the one thing i can be proud of in my time playing is that i wasn't a new recruit of Ebonaura on Chaos before that died too, struggling for flint, being denied basic luxiries like tools and being assigned to a west-side, rundown, wooden Favela for four weeks before getting my class 1A security clearance, peace.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 8

Hey Proph.. ever heard of tl;dr?

That's a prime example.

• Like 3

What kind of alliance MOTD is that lol. ---> You are sober. 

Dafuq lol why?

• Like 1

"i wasn't a new recruit of Ebonaura on Chaos before that died too, struggling for flint, being denied basic luxiries like tools and being assigned to a west-side, rundown, wooden Favela for four weeks before getting my class 1A security clearance, peace."

helios, the deed with no Templars or locks on the longhouses

e z drains

i remember when alexgopen I think it was joined Ebonaura. Then was kingdom killed and ( kicked? )

that was p. Funny.

I'd say that all they need to do is strive to be an independent kingdom and they're reasonably farther out of the gutter. I mean, with less people we did fine as hots until the village split.

drake kill at deed before I left, two more after I left with a skeleton crew. 

We had very few people working on the deed. And no sense of direction I guess ( wtf 3 dirt walls but only one finished )

• Like 1

When people can make gear fast enough, they don't need to play safe and there is more pvp. But armours like drake/scale, plus hours to get 1 guy pvp ready makes people just want to win win win and not take any risks. I would say faster timers for creation of items but that will remove the balance on the pve side.

At least on epic the creation and improvement of items should be faster, caus atm epic and chaos arent much different. On WU at desolation we had like 30-40 active players but everyday we had 2-3 fights and I can say WU and challenge were the most fun pvp I had in wurm. Reason was simple: People could make gear fast enough > go die > do it again. Like it literally took 1 hour to get everything from armour to weapon to horse gear to arrows!!!!

For pvp servers gear stocking is the biggest incentive for players. No one wants to go through the effort of making gear for hours even if they have the skills to do it. Hence, they succumb to mine hopping - for better hopping they plant war deeds everywhere on the map - due to that smaller groups have a hard time deeding/establishing on the server.

It's fcked up if you ask me. 

^ All this comes from the perspective of a player who started chaos in the most underdog kingdom and had to do pretty much everything on his own. Still am crazy thats why I pvped a lot :P

• Like 2

lHide and seek.

You remember playing it when you were younger.

One of you spins for a minute, while blindfolded and the other runs and finds a place to hide, hoping that the one blindfolded will not see or know where they are hid.

Why are you playing hide and seek now ?

You all know what is needed to heal the game's ills..yet hide behind a web of propaganda...our idea is better than yours..but none of you could be more wrong.

This game was built upon the idea that you could craft and create while your enemies were pounding at the gates.

Put up a poll, Rolf. find out which server in the current pve cluster wold be willing to switch to a mix of both pve and pvp. Find out how many WO and WU players would back a server with feudal rules. That was the way of life.

No need to open a new server, we already have too many servers, most of them with a massively declining player count.

Ask the players, ask the community what they want to see happening to take this game to the next level.

People could cross to the pvp /pve server taking their current skills with them but at a 10 % reduction, so every player on the server starts at the same level. We do not need another Epic.

Edited by Lancelot

On 7/20/2016 at 4:35 AM, Oreo said:

remove hota (play date to pvp, stale)

remove hell horses (seriously)

remove rare/supreme/fantastic (3 speed horse? NO PROBLEM)

remove glimmer/addy/seryll (more items to collect instead of playing game)

remove multi tiered buildings (lol lets go siege a deed and fire 500 shots to get through the first layer xd)

remove cave dwellings (if thats a thing yet, if not, oh well.. still remove it)

remove player gods (###### spell lists)

remove valrei items (###### items)

remove valrei missions (more ###### items to collect)

remove rifts (more ###### items to collect)

remove tower capping altogether (inb4 "you dont 'own' that territory if you can't protect it" arguement.. sure yeah.. but bashing also fixes that)

revert archery debuff

revert minedoor change

revert backup horse CR nerf

most likely more, ill think of them while i finish this movie :v

inb4 "oreo the title says 'real pvpers' " meme

Oreo the title says real pvpers, jking.

I like all of these, minus maybe

Remove tower capping

and while I am not against removing multi-tier buildings I really really like them, but they make me not want to raid anything.

Funny thing is this was gonna be a topic in my radio show, if Jack ever shows up..

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 1

Well this is gonna be a race between WO devs and LIF devs:

http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/08/life-is-feudal-transforms-into-an-mmo-with-its-march-beta-test/

If they open their mmo before wurm makes any changes that attracts me, then I am definitely switching over.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2016 at 10:19 AM, MaurizioAM said:

If you only had any clue whatsoever.

People may have different opinions but understanding a complete revamp which is basically whats being asked for in this thread is unrealistic. 

Now for actual comments... 

Map size is not the problem... Population steming from crap imbalanced gameplay thats gone on for far to long is the reason for it. Old wild had a nice population once upon a time.

Static HOTA was one of the worst things they could have done simply because it became a monopoly of needed material in order to be able to contend. 

Removal or chaining of guard towers also another mistake.. And the ease of maintaining territory without any effort after the initial conqure or placement of a tower also a huge problem. 

Seperation of clusters yet another problem from day 1... It would have been easier to keep the same skilling multiplier and adjust the curve a bit more keeping all account on the same cluster to avoid where we now stand today. 

Sorry kid, wont fall for your lame attempt of trolling me.  Continue with your forum pvp because that's all you are good for.  In the meantime ill be IRL doing sh it that matters.

5 hours ago, Puertorro said:

Well this is gonna be a race between WO devs and LIF devs:

http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/08/life-is-feudal-transforms-into-an-mmo-with-its-march-beta-test/

If they open their mmo before wurm makes any changes that attracts me, then I am definitely switching over.

Gloria Victis is doing pretty good also, lot of updates since Steam Release and is really fun.

Laggy though it may be, but that's what every game that is a start up from a new company.

But I will be playing LiF MMO when it comes out most likely, I really like their system of Government/Nation Building.. whatever you want to call it.

On 7/20/2016 at 3:35 AM, Oreo said:

remove hota (play date to pvp, stale)

remove hell horses (seriously)

remove rare/supreme/fantastic (3 speed horse? NO PROBLEM)

remove glimmer/addy/seryll (more items to collect instead of playing game)

remove multi tiered buildings (lol lets go siege a deed and fire 500 shots to get through the first layer xd)

remove cave dwellings (if thats a thing yet, if not, oh well.. still remove it)

remove player gods (###### spell lists)

remove valrei items (###### items)

remove valrei missions (more ###### items to collect)

remove rifts (more ###### items to collect)

remove tower capping altogether (inb4 "you dont 'own' that territory if you can't protect it" arguement.. sure yeah.. but bashing also fixes that)

revert archery debuff

revert minedoor change

most likely more, ill think of them while i finish this movie :v

inb4 "oreo the title says 'real pvpers' " meme

All this but removing tower capping. Tower capping created pvp.