Sign in to follow this  
Baddbob

Enhanced Smelting / Refining

Core concept is as follows:

Enhance the feasibility of metallurgy beyond the creation of brass, bronze, and steel lumps.

How do we do it?

Through a new refinement process which the goal is to increase the quality of sub-par metal lumps to an acceptable level at a cost of material weight loss.

Who can do it?

The idea is to use already existing skills (Overall Smithing and Metallurgy) to refine everything from simple iron to gold.(No moonmetal)

What object(s) can we use to refine said metal?

At this point we could use the already existing smelting pot (although inaccurate between smelting / refinement processes, but hey this is Wurm), or we can have a blast furnace introduced into Wurm.

Why would we want this?

At its current state I believe that metallurgy could be worth so much more as a skill than just merely spamming out steel lumps and praying for decent steel to imp just platemail armor sets. Imagine being able to convert for example 2000 50ql iron into say...1500 70ql iron. A decently skilled smith could be able to reasonably craft and maintain 90ql steel weapons, armor, and tools whereas nowadays iron is king simply because it's a headache to get such high ql steel lumps through the current process. This would not affect higher level miners much by default as the refinement process takes more time to refine the metal to suitable qualities rather than excellent ore off the bat.

Leave your thoughts and input below, as for the number crunching variables to this...to be determined...

+1. seems very reasonable. easier to get higher ql stuff with lower mining etc. I like.

Edited by polarbear
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UnknownOrganism said:

why?

raises hand: (just because you are a different kingdom). such lame. 

Edited by polarbear

I like this.  I would still restrict it max to skill the quality, and also require it to lower the weight by higher amounts with lower skills.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tallios said:

I like this.  I would still restrict it max to skill, and also require it to low the weight by higher amounts with lower skills.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

Bump, and keep the KvK banter on the wild server in local via swords to the face...not in my suggestion thread.

• Like 1

Whats the point of finding a legit vein that is 90+ql then?

You could mine 20ql veins all day and then just refine the thousands of ore down into 90ql and never have to actually find a vein that is of utmost quality.

14 minutes ago, Oreo said:

Whats the point of finding a legit vein that is 90+ql then?

You could mine 20ql veins all day and then just refine the thousands of ore down into 90ql and never have to actually find a vein that is of utmost quality.

Simple solution, not everyone would have the time nor patience to refine 20ql veins into 90ql lump purely through the amount of metallurgy skill a player would need to refine up to said level. By capping the QL achievable through this proposed change it would limit the potential extreme loads to a fixed height. And besides they'd still need to deal with the issue of with each refinement run taking away a chunk of the weight itself from the, for example, steel lumps.

Let's just throw some random numbers out there...

A lvl 20 smithing account with 20 metallurgy has 2k 5ql iron lump, he/she begins the refinement process...

After say an hour of refining on a 20ql blast furnace he/she gains 1k 15ql iron lump back.

Let's say he/she wants to refine it down further into 25ql iron lumps, he/she will gain 400 25ql iron lumps and be halted from further refinement until his/her skill in metallurgy improves.

Edited by Baddbob
Typo
  • Like 1

but what if someone skills up metallurgy.. and just totally negates mining because 'lol i can just smelt all of this down anyway'

also, your numbers have really exaggerated since the first post 1k loss from 5ql to 15ql as opposed to 500 loss from 70 > 90

you'd think it'd be the other way around

Edited by Oreo

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:36 PM, Baddbob said:

as for the number crunching variables to this...to be determined...

7 minutes ago, Baddbob said:

Let's just throw some random numbers out there...

I'd be leaving the number crunching to the devs who would have to deal with this if this actually takes off...but that does leave the point of if someone does raise metallurgy whilst sacrificing mining in the process...

Two thoughts I can think of at the moment that would make some sense is that we could add mining AND metallurgy together and divide by 2 to get our average lump cap ql. Or we could simply cap the refinement max ql by the lower of the two skills, mining and metallurgy, seeing as refinement back in the old days was a complicated and fledgling science, requiring a great deal of trial and error to get right. Option 2 appeals to me as it would be the harder, and thus more rewarding option for the dedicated miner / smith.

That's a lot of work.. rather than just getting to 90+ mining and using the mechanics that are already in the game..

• Like 1

Adds abit of flavor to our options ingame, and I do so detest inferior ql lumps that we are currently unable to imp with when there were old sciences designed to fix those issues. It would take a lot of work, time, and effort, but the payoff might be worth it if one desires it heavily enough.

Before I give me opinion I want to say. I my self am a plate smith and imp plate for a lot of people as well as myself and every time I sit down at the forge (yes sit because we can sit now!) to bust out a couple 80ql sets of plate I ask myself why I ever decided to put metal to anvil and start the grind. I love the current system of metallurgy and plate smithing because it allows me to enjoy a part of the game not everyone gets to but I do have to say, using 1k charcoal to get only a couple hundred (~200) lumps of 70-80ql so I can actually imp a set is kind of annoying. Now yeah I haven't ground metallurgy and have 35 metallurgy, I know my odds can be increased if I just put charcoal to iron and grind it out like I did with plate smithing and I do intend to do that one day. However, it is still annoying. 

So with that being said, I don't know if this is the perfect solution but it is the first that I have seen that I actually liked. So until someone can come up with something better I am going to have to give this a huge +1 from me.

Thanks for listening to my rant. 

• Like 3

+1 if priests can do it and +2 if mag priests get a bonus to this skill (10% higher QL for the same weight loss)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1 if priests can do it and +2 if mag priests get a bonus to this skill (10% higher QL for the same weight loss)

I would actually agree if Mag followers could get a "deity bonus" for this. of 1% improvement bonus for every 10 faith?

Definitely a priest bonus for Mag, 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 2:58 PM, Tallios said:

I would actually agree if Mag followers could get a "deity bonus" for this. of 1% improvement bonus for every 10 faith?

Definitely a priest bonus for Mag, 

I like the idea of a bonus that scales with faith

• Like 1