Sign in to follow this  
Pandalet

Transferring items from BSBs (and BSB-like containers)

So I know this suggestion has come up lots of times, but I figured I'd offer a suggestion as to how it could actually work. 

For anyone who missed it, the basic problem is that you can only pull as many items as you can carry at a time out of a BSB, even when transferring from one BSB to another (for BSB, you can substitute crate or FSB).  For small, light stuff like cotton, this will probably be limited by the number of items in your inventory, so probably not too bad; when transferring, say, ore to a smelter (from a crate), weight becomes an issue, and you might only be able to transfer 8, 10, 12 (etc) ores per action.  This leads to much pointless click-drag-enter, which doesn't add anything to the game beyond speed bumpage.  The situation is even worse when transferring a wagon's worth of rock shards or dirt to storage BSBs.

Compare this to digging.  You can individually dig single dirts, but you can also set up a level action; levelling doesn't take any less time but it provides a similar outcome without all the unnecessary click-and-drag.

I propose that there be a similar action for transferring items to and from BSB-like containers, so you essentially start the action going, and it continues until the source container is empty, the target container is full, or you run out of stamina.  Or (obviously) you cancel the action.  Thus transferring a lot of items still takes some time, but doesn't require so much annoying micro-management.

• Like 7

+1

So, thinking on how to make a good interface, what if it looked just like it did now, only with 2 added options right below the number field.

Amount Here: [     ]
-----
O Single Transfer (current method, also selected by default)
O Continuous Transfer (transfer items until you run out of stamina)
You can only pick one.
------
O 1
O 5
O 10
etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darmalus said:

+1

So, thinking on how to make a good interface, what if it looked just like it did now, only with 2 added options right below the number field.

-----
O Single Transfer (current method, also selected by default)
O Continuous Transfer (transfer items until you run out of stamina)
You can only pick one.
------
O 1
O 5
O 10
etc.

-----
O 1
O 5
O 10

O Continuous Transfer (transfer items until you run out of space in container)

Seems more logical and KISS :-P

Also i don't see a reason for stamina limit.

Either way, +1, of course

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zigozag said:

-----
O 1
O 5
O 10

O Continuous Transfer (transfer items until you run out of space in container)

Seems more logical and KISS :-P

Also i don't see a reason for stamina limit.

Either way, +1, of course

People don't always want to transfer everything in a container, or completely fill one up. That's why I had Single vs Continuous as separate from amount. You system is less flexible and accomplishes less while not actually being any simpler.

I don't see how Zigozag's suggestion is any less flexible. the 1, 5, and 10 options are the single transfer options, with continuous transfer being what Pandalet added in the initial suggestion. It is really pretty intuitive.

Edited by Wort
clarification

28 minutes ago, Wort said:

I don't see how Zigozag's suggestion is any less flexible. the 1, 5, and 10 options are the single transfer options, with continuous transfer being what Pandalet added in the initial suggestion. It is really pretty intuitive.

Because as I read it you can choose amount (custom, 1, 5 or 10) or continuous (keep going until you run out of stuff or space), because they are on the same mutually exclusive option list.

This would make it impossible to continuously transfer 10 stone slabs out of a bin of 100 (I can only carry 2 at a time and I don't want 100).

If Zigozag meant the continuous option should be a check-box, allowing me to select 10 and continuous instead of being forced to choose between 10 or continuous, then I misunderstood.

I see what you're wanting. You want to be able to set a max amount on the transfer. Personally, I think that would be redundant, as you can just hit <esc> to stop it at the correct point. Fewer menu clicks is better in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Wort said:

I see what you're wanting. You want to be able to set a max amount on the transfer. Personally, I think that would be redundant, as you can just hit <esc> to stop it at the correct point. Fewer menu clicks is better in my opinion.

I think, like now, leaving the Amount section blank should just have the transfer keep going (which could be canceled with esc). That would allow both sets of desires in a single interface, I'd like the option to be able to pick the exact amount even if it's a few more clicks. I'm not so good at interrupt timing.

When I start various projects I tend to figure out exactly the materials I need before starting. So filling a large crate (or several) with exactly 120 rock shards, 8 stone slabs, etc. is a normal experience for me.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

I like being able to set a max, and I think 1 extra menu option seems like a reasonable trade-off to retain that.  Especially if the default remains (functionally) the same as it is now.  Click-drag-enter-repeatx20 vs. click-drag-click-enter-wait seems like a good compromise that gives everyone what they want.

• Like 1

Perhaps, if the quantity you enter in the field at the top is greater than the max you can carry, it just automatically starts a continuous transfer. I think that would satisfy both Darmalus' desire to enter a max transfer without having to add any more clutter to the window or extra clicks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wort said:

Perhaps, if the quantity you enter in the field at the top is greater than the max you can carry, it just automatically starts a continuous transfer. I think that would satisfy both Darmalus' desire to enter a max transfer without having to add any more clutter to the window or extra clicks.

I think this would work!

Drag items from container to container.
IF Amount is blank THEN Move carry limit (weight or number, as it is now)
IF Amount Set > Move Limit THEN Continuous transfer.

The UI wouldn't need to be updated, would probably work for all containers, players would just need to remember there was a new option.

Great suggestion, Wort.

personally i would prefer a system where when i right click and item type in a fsb/bsb there is the take option but also transfer. when i click transfer it gives me a menu kinda like the construction tool.

but now with a from and to box, and to the right the option to set the amount when done ( set amount, max)

but +1 nonetheless

I meant removing the *can carry* limit completely too, then you can type in the number you want.

+1 We need this! Especially us old folks with arthritis :) Think about it. In real life, when we move things from one container to another, we don't stop, think about how many we can carry, then move more. We often move things hand to hand, or a constant back and forth flow. Make it a timer like leveling is. We have to stand still for it, anything! It is realistic. It can be agonizing after a long day of cutting trees, or mining, coming home with a wagon full, transferring it from crate to bsb, or whatever container. I do my farming, put my foods in the crates, then have to move each "type" of food over to my FSB, even if it is only 3 pea pods, 6 strawberries, and 200 oats. These are things I can pick up and carry many of them, so I shouldn't have to move them individually. The engine should already be in game, as we use timers for leveling, grooming, pushing, etc. This idea needs some consideration! My hands would thank you :) 

for the newbies:
holding down/pressing shift and enter during the time that you drag and drop, boils it down to wrist action/window proximity and nothing else.
that said
+1

• Like 1

On 9.8.2017 at 5:29 PM, Steveleeb said:

for the newbies:
holding down/pressing shift and enter during the time that you drag and drop, boils it down to wrist action/window proximity and nothing else.
that said
+1

Yes, that helps a lot. It's still jarringly hamfisted for large transfers though.

On this note, bumping the thread because why is this not a thing yet?

Edited by Flubb