Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Seals gleefully murdering prey they can't eat

It's finally happening. The seals are plotting revenge against me, and the cows are first.

I witnessed a seal murdering a cow near my deed today, even though:

1. It wasn't hungry.
  2. Seals cannot eat cow meat.

Seals are special-cased to only eat fish, but because they're technically carnivores, they will apparently hunt, maim, murder, and destroy prey animals... which they cannot eat.

This seems like an oversight???

EDIT: It seems like carnivores in general do get their hunger lowered upon killing a prey creature. Maybe. So it may be the case that seals, who can only eat fish, still kill other prey and get nourishment from it, and then probably can't eat the corpse, and definitely can't eat the meat.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

glad to hear a direct witnessing after finding a few dead and butchered bodies in my seal pen.

• Like 4

I like it, the seals are out to take over the world.

Edited the OP with a bit more info.

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

No-one ever suspects the seals....

Ever since they started knifing me a few weeks back, I knew they were trouble.

• Like 1

I've added the issue to the bug list and set up a cow inside a pen with a seal on test.  We'll see if I can get it to happen.  

17 hours ago, Odynn said:

glad to hear a direct witnessing after finding a few dead and butchered bodies in my seal pen.

Wait, why are they butchering if they don't eat the meat? I thought that butcher thing only happens as they eat.

Also, will they kill each other??

Upon hearing this new information, I have gone to collect seals immediately.  Used to keep and breed them, and now I wonder why I ever stopped... but I would be curious also to know if they are cannibals.

50 minutes ago, Atheline said:

Used to keep and breed them, and now I wonder why I ever stopped...

Because they only eat fish...

3 hours ago, Atheline said:

Upon hearing this new information, I have gone to collect seals immediately.  Used to keep and breed them, and now I wonder why I ever stopped... but I would be curious also to know if they are cannibals.

I doubt they eat each other. I'm 99% sure "carnivore" animals specifically go after "prey" animals.

Actually you're right, they won't eat each other because they only eat fish. But will they kill each other is what I want to know. I haven't seen them do it but I've never left them starving.

6 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

Actually you're right, they won't eat each other because they only eat fish. But will they kill each other is what I want to know. I haven't seen them do it but I've never left them starving.

That's what I'm saying, I don't think carnivores kill things that aren't specifically flagged as prey animals.

I've had seals starve to death, one or two pregnant ones who I neglected to feed for 0.002 seconds.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1