Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

What happened to rare rolls?

1 minute ago, Warlander said:

Grats. :)

When it comes to (pseudo) random number generators - this Wikipedia article about default Java PRNG, Linear Congruential Generator (LCG), is worth reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator.

I'll take your word that the scribble is an explanation else you will need to explain the scribble. LMAO

Sum it up, sometimes you will get back to back rare rolls and other times you can go weeks without seeing a rare roll. =p

past  2  days  8  rare  rocks  2  rare  coins.  rare  tools etc  never happens, its impossble,  but  i get a  free  dinner!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talohan said:

Can anybody put all that in layman terms....:blink:

The code is fine. People are using anecdotal evidence to fuel unfounded theories.

Anecdotes on who got how many rares doesn't mean anything when the rare window is as easily missed as having a 18s action timer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dairuka said:

The code is fine. People are using anecdotal evidence to fuel unfounded theories.

But it is true (anecdotally)! When you complain for not getting rare moments -> you get rare moment. Though, only if your complaint is sincere and not simply an attempt to abuse the truth for your own gain. "If I complain, I will get rare moment" leads to no change in luck fluctuation. One must forget all about complaining helping, then when you make a TRUE complaint, then ye shall have rare!

Same goes with high power enchants. Go on for hours frowning on silly 70 power and make a sincere true complaint and next cast shall be high very high!

Also, switching towels in toilet to clean ones have been observed to affect rare rolls with heightened probability.

The list of things I've heard people explain leading to heightened rare moment probability is both hilarious and frightening... there is beliefs pretty much everything form "keep your food/water bar at 99%" or "change to different tile between each attempt" to scary ones like "dieing resets hidden counter" or "killing someone resets hidden counter" (hidden counter? wut?!)

But it is all for our entertainment. :) Life would be so boring without the list of biases humans have that span in number of hundreds of different types.

mailing money to me resets a hidden counter

I got a rare saddle and a rare toolbelt within the last week or so, both while imping.

• Like 1

I get plenty of rolls doing things besides crafting and seems when I am crafting I'm getting that 1 roll per hour and it's not hitting though. :(

The RNG Gods hate me too.

Hunting tonight:

[18:09:32] You have a moment of inspiration...

[18:31:30] You have a moment of inspiration...
[18:35:50] You have a moment of inspiration...
[18:37:11] You have a moment of inspiration...
[19:07:09] You have a moment of inspiration...
[19:12:30] You have a moment of inspiration...

Digging a couple nights back:

[21:57:02] You have a moment of inspiration...
[21:57:48] You have a moment of inspiration...
[22:12:41] You have a moment of inspiration...

Also a supreme brick and shard, also several rare shards in the last week.

Not done a lot of crafting but seems to be working fine to me, looks like just bad luck.

@SmeJack That's exactly all it was. 1 hour after I complained, rare roll imping a rowboat gave a rare rowboat. Yesterday, I got 2 rare rolls on a corbita. First roll turned it rare. Second failed. Just a long run of bad timing. It more than made up for it. 2 rare ships in 2 days. 

Believe in RNGesus, and he will give a saving throw.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:04 AM, Raybarg said:

But it is true (anecdotally)! When you complain for not getting rare moments -> you get rare moment. Though, only if your complaint is sincere and not simply an attempt to abuse the truth for your own gain. "If I complain, I will get rare moment" leads to no change in luck fluctuation. One must forget all about complaining helping, then when you make a TRUE complaint, then ye shall have rare!

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:20 PM, Darmalus said:

This is how religions start!

There ya go! See it's happening already with Raybarg's *sincerity* requirement being the determining factor in the faithfulness of "Complain and ye shall receive!".

Me, I get my rare rolls at the local bakery. Quite satisfying and with proper payment, guaranteed.

=Ayes=

I had two rare rolls two days ago in the span of about 10 minutes, while imping. The first one was on a saddle, the second on a waterskin. Guess which one turned rare... :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valdor said:

I had two rare rolls two days ago in the span of about 10 minutes, while imping. The first one was on a saddle, the second on a waterskin. Guess which one turned rare... :(

I have a rare waterskin. It's actually one of my most prized rares. Lay it on the ground, Valdor. It looks like a magical beetle. :-)

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:33 PM, Audrel said:

I have a rare waterskin. It's actually one of my most prized rares. Lay it on the ground, Valdor. It looks like a magical beetle. :-)

Awesome, I was wondering what to do with mine :D

• Like 2

....so if I post here saying I never get rare rolls, I will get a rare?  Next time I am logging in I will be imping my drake jacket....just saying.

• Like 5

After opening this thread, i instantly made a rare mortar....has to be some correlation.

• Like 2

@ Valdor...WTB Rare waterskin.  Shiny water is nicer than not shiny water!

a948d5186a29e1564a275f2ca570b4c8.jpg

Edited by elf
  • Like 1

On 19.7.2016 at 2:53 PM, SmeJack said:

[18:09:32] You have a moment of inspiration...

[18:31:30] You have a moment of inspiration...
[18:35:50] You have a moment of inspiration...
[18:37:11] You have a moment of inspiration...
[19:07:09] You have a moment of inspiration...
[19:12:30] You have a moment of inspiration...

[21:57:02] You have a moment of inspiration...
[21:57:48] You have a moment of inspiration...
[22:12:41] You have a moment of inspiration...

Oh lord you must be complaining a lot. *Sincerely* complaining. That's lot of drumsrolls.

So I guess we have found the High Priest(ess?) of god Whinnie the Complainator!

• Like 2