Sign in to follow this  
TankMG

Woodstock Commons PvE with PvP Island (Dedicated)

Guys you need to listen to the players. Don't be a Rolf. I talked to a friend who went to your server today. These are the things she got out of it.

1.5 copper for a bull is not enough. You need to at least double your bounties if you want people so they can at least pay upkeep.

Also you need to go around and make some clay. No clay = no play. You can't play the game without clay, period. And why do people make these land masses where no one settles inland? Make clay inland too so there's at least a chance someone will settle there.

Back to mobs. For a map this size you need at the very minimum 150k. And since upkeep is tied to bounties that is an absolute necessity. 

You can't fix this but you forgot that people need to find at least iron rather quickly. If resources are 'modest' people are going to give up because everything takes FOREVER. Forever to find iron. Forever to dig to rock. Forever to everything.

Hate to say it but and you probably meant well but you set this thing up to be not fun. Most people play to have fun. Yeah I know, it's your server and you'll do what you want. In solitude.

P.S. What's with the no sand? People need sand to build. And hauling a load of sand over hill and dale as a noob isn't good.

Edited by Clatius

I didn't say there is NO clay. I said there isn't ENOUGH clay. Anyone looking at the map can tell you that. And the almost total lack of sand makes me scratch my head. What were they thinking?

Guys,

Constructive criticism we definitely appreciate, negative criticism will be ignored. Keep it constructive please.

With that out of the way, I have looked at the bounty tables and am looking into upping the base values. Keep in mind that the bounties go up as the legendary status of mobs and types of mobs are encountered. There are definitely higher valued mobs further out into the map. For now, I've increased the mob payout and will see if that alleviates the concern. You shouldn't expect to on day 1 take out the largest deed and then be able to pay for it, on the other hand, we do expect long term players to easily handle paying for a claim while at least providing some form of challenge.

Just like Rome, we didn't think it was very realistic to on the one hand give it all away, while on the other hand we wanted to make objectives achievable.

Regarding sand/clay, it's there if you look at the big map that's available. Like other resources, we wanted to achieve a balance of availability versus achievement. I'm open to considering more population of sand, but have reviewed this map (I created it after all with the generator, and know what values were used to create it) and see that all resources are there, and in fact are boosted over what the stock generator provides.

If you want to get more involved, let me know. We are looking for additional GMs that want to actively be involved and that may have different ideas than our own. It's a democracy, we want to involve and get players involved as much as possible. This server will be around for quite some time, and is hosted in a stable, low latency environment. The good news is, should you decide to make a home on it, your home will remain and not be a waste of time.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and feedback, we look forward to seeing and playing with you on  Woodstock !

/Waffles

Quick Note :

Tested and verified the updated bounty values are working. I've asked my co-GM TankMG to take a look at the sand distribution once he is available later today. One of us will update as to what, if any, changes will be made to sand distribution.

Restarted the VM for both Database and Server.

Note, you can always reach me via Steam @ DogTrigger (My ID), if you want to chat with me live. I tend to be invisible, but do respond when able to any and all comments, suggestions, and criticisms there.

/Waffles

On 8/29/2016 at 11:09 AM, Clatius said:

"quoting your comment but trimming"

In looking at the mob distribution by spot checking islands, I see a lot of variety, but perhaps you mean population per mob ? We don't want this turning into wild kingdom, however, you make a good point of having enough of the higher valued mobs (and they are there, the high value mobs, but not as much on the main island - to encourage exploration).

I can't say if going from 80,000 (Current) to 150,000 (suggested) necessarily fixes the issue - We don't want this turning into the wild kingdom. With that said, I'll go half way there by saving a backup and going to 120,000. This is effective immediately.

Regarding the bounties, I already stated that we upped them by 2x, but do NOT want this to be entirely too easy. Part of the allure in playing is working towards a goal. It should be achievable, per your comment, but not "easy mode", or at least that's the way that we play. We'll see if the 2x modifier works out. As the "kingdom" has a limited gold supply that feeds vendors, while currently there is probably no issue, as we grow, I need to make sure that we balance the economy versus the bounties.

Iron is at double the default provided by Wurm. We also reduced the digging requirement so that walls break a bit faster to assist. There is Iron at the starter village in a public mine as well.

Overall, our mindset was to enable basic things that really anyone should be able to accomplish (riding a horse, if not well, at least doable, from the start, for example) while keeping something of a challenge available. I would be the last person to say we have the perfect server, but do hope from other servers I played in prior to committing to providing our own, that I tried to take the best of what I saw, and drop what clearly wasnt working or that players hated.

Keep the suggestions incoming please ! While we likely won't implement ALL suggestions, we do listen and are open to other views on what makes a server fun. We intend to be around for quite some time, and hope that people will come to rely on our server as a stable environment from which they can play, much like other games we've hosted in the past from my servers in the data center.

Thanks !

/Waffles

On 8/29/2016 at 2:50 PM, Clatius said:

I didn't say there is NO clay. I said there isn't ENOUGH clay. Anyone looking at the map can tell you that. And the almost total lack of sand makes me scratch my head. What were they thinking?

As the server grows, so will the resources. It is important that you do a recon before establishing your settlement. I placed well over 200 piles of clay throughout the server so I know there is enough. I haven't gone through and put sand in on top of the already existing piles yet. I do have a career that is the priority and have been away for quite some time. Hang in there, the resources will be increased.

Server was restarted, backed up (full), and patched. We are back up and rolling after today's game patch.

We look forward to seeing, and playing with all who have made our server their home !

/Waffles