Sign in to follow this  
Pingpong

Potential Skilling bug

So this may or may not be a bug but I've been eyeing my JS gains for a bit and decided to write them down because they seemed off. Here they are, sb was used with all tests. Best gains should have been on an 88+ql ring. It appears the closer I got to the "ideal" imping spot, the less gains I got. The tests in half hour increments. I have used this method for the last 8+ months on multiple grinds and had excellent results which is why I believe something has changed in the last week+ or since I hit high 80~ JS.
Edit: After thinking about it, if I had to guess, I would put money on  failed imps not giving skill ticks like they used to.

.227 skill  on 77ql ring (wound up 81ql)
.187 skill on 87ql ring

.161 skill on 89ql ring

.227 skill on 59ql ring (wound up 79ql)

Edited by Pingpong

To really test, you'd need to test actions with identical timer lengths using identical equipment. Is it possible you had CoC on something and the CoC wore off a lot by the end?

Also, did your religion, faith, or nutrition change at all?

Failed improve actions can still give skill ticks; it seems that the skill check for improve success is separate from the one for skill? However, it should use the same difficulty. Depending on tool/material QL, it's entirely possible that you aren't getting as much skill with the higher QL ring simply because you're failing more skill checks. Bear in mind you don't ALWAYS get skill for failed improvement, only for some of them! The check for skill is very similar to the check for success, but they're rolled separately. I think this may be what is happening here.

Edited by Ostentatio

Good points, I had the same faith, nut, and religion and I keep high food levels going when grinding for skill. Coc shouldn't have dropped too far over a couple of weeks and levels are still only about 10-15coc less then when I got the tools many months ago. I do understand that failed imps won't give skill ticks some of the time, how ever I'm quite confident in the methods I'm using have skilled several skills to 90 using them.