Sign in to follow this  
Chimerical

Conversion via Avatar

9977da7c614b447cb2c84ead8cff2ae3.png

This lovely Avatar of Fo visited my deed on Deliverance yesterday, and he got me thinking.

How cool would it be if my alt (whom I plan to make a Fo priest eventually) could just walk up to this avatar, right click, and convert herself to Fo, similar to the way the White Light works?

This would provide a useful dimension to avatars that benefits those who want to be converted and either A.) can't find someone to convert them or B.) cannot/do not wish to risk going to the White Light for a conversion. Right now, converting to most religions is easily done--shout out in KChat for a conversion and you got it. But for some harder to find followers and/or priests, such as Tosiek, Nathan, and Paaweelr... It may prove beneficial to those wanting to choose that religion to have another way for it to be done. It also would add another incentive to go out and explore when missions pop up pertaining to these avatars.

:) Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions!

• Like 14

Not a bad idea at all. With some islands having low populations of priests, this is a great alternative to traveling to the altar to priest or paying to have someone travel. Nice idea!

• Like 2

+1

Converting to follow/preach a religion after meeting the living avatar of that deity? Makes perfect sense to me!

• Like 2

+1 This way everyone can have any priest they choose, without the hassel of finding a follower/priest of the same god,

• Like 1

Good luck finding them purposely :P

3 hours ago, Darmalus said:

Converting to follow/preach a religion after meeting the living avatar of that deity? Makes perfect sense to me!

+1

• Like 2

A very cool and imaginative idea Chimerical. This would indeed provide some bonus to those roving avatar gods by interacting with them in a peaceful way. Just not too sure how often it would be used since as you stated the easiest way to convert is just to ask on Kchat. It's the thought that counts, they say.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chimerical said:

Right now, converting to most religions is easily done--shout out in KChat for a conversion and you got it. But for some harder to find followers and/or priests, such as Tosiek, Nathan, and Paaweelr... It may prove beneficial to those wanting to choose that religion to have another way for it to be done.

16 hours ago, SugarFoxx said:

+1 This way everyone can have any priest they choose, without the hassel of finding a follower/priest of the same god,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only avatars for Fo, Mag, Vyn and Lib?

Also, I'm pretty sure that you'll find it easier to track down someone to give you a conversion than it would be to wait and hope one of these things pops up somewhere you can easily get to.

I'm not saying I disagree with the idea of converting at the avatars. I like the idea, I just think some of the reasoning given is badly thought through ;)

ObviouslyLib would have to have this feature removed on Freedom. Also, for a bit of game-historical amusement, if you initiate contact with the Avatar of Lib on a PvP server, you should be told 'Convert or die!' and if you decide to not convert you'll be stomped on ;) 

2 minutes ago, Hordern said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only avatars for Fo, Mag, Vyn and Lib?

Also, I'm pretty sure that you'll find it easier to track down someone to give you a conversion than it would be to wait and hope one of these things pops up somewhere you can easily get to.

I'm not saying I disagree with the idea of converting at the avatars. I like the idea, I just think some of the reasoning given is badly thought through ;)

ObviouslyLib would have to have this feature removed on Freedom. Also, for a bit of game-historical amusement, if you initiate contact with the Avatar of Lib on a PvP server, you should be told 'Convert or die!' and if you decide to not convert you'll be stomped on ;) 

PmG have avatars also.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hordern said:

Player gods (Nathan, Nahjo, Tosiek and Paaweelr) also have avatars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hordern said:

I don't see it as poorly thought through. It's a suggestion, I'm a player not a developer. All I know is that last month, when I was struggling to convert to Paaweelr because hardly anyone was available to convert and I was trying to avoid the White Light, I visited a Paaweelr avatar for a mission and it would have been cool to have my alt converted then. Even the not-so-common Player-made-Gods come around as avatars.

And as I said, Nathan and Tosiek would be good for this as well. They aren't common gods chosen amongst priests and people sometimes struggle to find someone to convert them. For players who don't want to visit the White Light, I would see avatar conversions as a worthwhile option. Even Mag priests are few and far between these days.

Obviously, for people wanting to convert to any of the more 'popular' religions, it would be simpler to find a player to convert you. I won't deny that.

I also just think it makes sense, like Darmalus said, to have the option to convert after meeting the living avatar of that diety.

• Like 1

This would also serve as an alternative for the first priests of new gods to be converted, rather than having to deal with Chaos.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wulfgarr said:

PmG have avatars also.

Aha, I've not been in-game for quite a while.

Incidentally, what do they look like? The good old JK character avatar? :P

3 hours ago, Chimerical said:

I don't see it as poorly thought through. It's a suggestion, I'm a player not a developer. All I know is that last month, when I was struggling to convert to Paaweelr because hardly anyone was available to convert and I was trying to avoid the White Light, I visited a Paaweelr avatar for a mission and it would have been cool to have my alt converted then. Even the not-so-common Player-made-Gods come around as avatars.

Sorry if you take offense at my wording, it wasn't meant so. I don't think the suggestion itself is poorly thought through, just some of the reasoning behind it. The OP and someone else further down indicated that finding an avatar would be easier than finding a player who can convert you. Having another option is always going to increase possibilities and make things easier, so from that point of view it would help. My disagreement was with the implication that finding an avatar is easier than finding another player to help out. Oh, and also the fact that I wasn't aware of player god avatars, though I was mostly referring to the former point because I wasn't sure on that.

Neat idea.  +1.

Side note, GMs who, by their own admission, have not been in game for "Quite a while" could maybe avoid commenting on suggestions, or at least use a non GM account to make those comments.  It makes staff look bad when a staff member doesn't even know player gods have avatars.  Makes it look even worse when they admit to not even playing.

• Like 3

I like the idea - while I must agree with Hordern: avatars are extremely rare and much harder to find than priests.

Yet: +1

as from a lore perspective, absolutely +1. Kinda they should chase you to convert...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hordern said:

Incidentally, what do they look like? The good old JK character avatar? :P

They look quite a bit like the Colossus model I believe. Not sure I've seen one in person though.

+1 I like this idea, I think it would be a fun way to priest on freedom,

Edited by shakys

If a god showed up in my backyard, you can bet I'd bow down and worship them. 

+1

great idea, fits perfectly.
+1

Edited by Steveleeb

+1

1 problem.. avatars spawn when there's a mission(afaik) and they remain if nobody finished the mission for whatever time until next mission I guess?

This could lead to 1 "bad" thing.. lowering the social aspect of the game, you don't need to be social or to meet a person and click or get right clicked and converted, you just need to find an avatar and boom, you're a follower/priest.

If I am wrong and avatars just walk around all the time anyway.. and I understand that your idea is to be able to convert to any religion, just have to find one of the avatars, or you meant that Fo can convert you to ONLY being a FO follower(priest?)? There could be an incentive to turn that way like.. a bonus - starting with 5.00 faith or a bit more granted by some RNG voodoo... being.. a random-random number.. or skills / achievements to affect that RNG bonus...

This could also maybe allow players to reset daily prayers by praying at a living avatar.. once.. or similar to meditations - repeatedly.. until you get a daily prayers reset that way? *coughs* same could be made to work with statues.. but.. with much lower chances to get it from a colossus(wogic.. why cant we pray at the feet of colossuses... o m g.. why??)