Sign in to follow this  
Tryst

Coming to an end?

With few posts on here and very few new mods, I begin to wonder if Wurm modding is coming to an end. It does seem that there are only a couple of modders who come here and no posts here in the last few days does not bode well for the future of modding in this game. I know it takes time to make a mod but some idea of what modders are working on (if anything at all) and the extent of their progress might be a little more heartening than total silence.

I would like to see a group of modders working together to make something better than a single item in the game (Hitching post) or a slight change in how something is done (dig to ground for example). Come on guys, I know there's a lot of talent out there, Let's see it put to some serious use in a game that has so much potential for modding. I have seen total conversion mods in games like Skyrim, Very complex mods in many other games. Why does Wurm suffer with very simple things and no really intensive mods?

Sadly I can't program in Java or I would have a go too.

Several issues arise:

-Getting everyone on the server without issue is a major issue(Without errors etc)

-Wurms code is OLD and not very good to be honest, It's a mess last i saw and i doubt much has changed.

-Implementing anything beyond things like digging to ground like you said, would require a huge overhaul. Not your normal overhaul you'd normally do with games like starbound or skyrim, No, MUCH MUCH more is required just to add in let's say a wall or object. Like iv looked into redesigning the whole priest spell system & sorcery and i can tell you it's a wreck. A complete train wreck to even attempt that. 

If you want any modifications done, Feel free to drop a few $$$ here and there and im 100% positive someone will pick up the idea and sell you the final product for that version of wurm. It's been done before with livemap

Edit:

Should clarify, I haven't looked at ago modloader to see if they added in a way to do things easier, im sure there is but i haven't looked into it yet. 

Edited by akaedis

Its more like everything that can be modded has been...

And with out a extremely well writen API, Wurm Unlimited will stagnate.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigsteve said:

Its more like everything that can be modded has been...

And with out a extremely well writen API, Wurm Unlimited will stagnate.

I have suggested a few easy extras like sconces and such for wall hanging lights and torches. There is a hell of a lot more that could be added to the game, even if it stays within the same medieval era.

If you want to go further into the future, there are trains, self propelled vehicles and such that could be built in parts with a lot of iron, copper, bronze and such. I realise these would take a lot more programming but that's why I proposed a few modders getting together. It's been done in games before and if necessary, make a paypal donation site for it to pay for the work, I am sure there are many players who would gladly donate if it means good quality mods for the game in future. Other mod groups have successfully used this method and I know one who paid half the cost of his new car on his share of the donations alone for the Skyrim mods they worked on. Getting one person to pay for a mod they specifically want and that will ultimately be put up free for public access is unrealistic at best.

From what i have heard adding items and graphics content needs an API, otherwise they will be conflict with item ID's, just look at the mess up the creature mod when CC introduced the new horse skins.

Well a couple issues but I agree with Steve, an API is certainly needed.     

1.   The size of graphic packs I have already hit the 2.6Gb mark.   This means i need a bit more horse power than ago's modloader.  I really need a CDN solution with a wrapper.   The java server / client MOD is kinda slow for this with even a 36mb file.

2.   The larger systems like RVR, Pirate encounters, and trade pacts, new ships, new armor and weapons (unique raid dungeons, items, mobs) require more than a mod can handle.   Its easier to write the code on a dedicated server in a more robust language like (C++ or C#)  with its own SQL DB, then feed the information via the api using hooks.    The problem is there needs to be a "LOT" of hooks for this.   

I think with time we may see it.    I hope so anyway.   

Jim 

12 hours ago, Tryst said:

With few posts on here and very few new mods, I begin to wonder if Wurm modding is coming to an end. It does seem that there are only a couple of modders who come here and no posts here in the last few days does not bode well for the future of modding in this game. I know it takes time to make a mod but some idea of what modders are working on (if anything at all) and the extent of their progress might be a little more heartening than total silence.

I been working on a mod to alter how fire and furnaces work. For example, forges with larger fuel capacity, examine messages that tell you exactly how long the fire will burn for...and others.

I don't think it's that difficult to make mods. If I were to average an hour or so a day writing mods I could probably make a mod at least every two weeks. My problem is motivation. I think the code I have to write to make mods is weird. Bytecode manipulation is just strange and reflection is a little better but still not what I consider mainstream java programing. I'd almost rather go get JMonkey and make my own game. With this I could at least use a broader selection Java code techniques. I don't have the skill to make A Wurm like game but I could do old-school arcade game clones.

9 hours ago, bigsteve said:

From what i have heard adding items and graphics content needs an API, otherwise they will be conflict with item ID's, just look at the mess up the creature mod when CC introduced the new horse skins.

Adding new items is easy and Ago already put a tool, the ItemTemplateBuilder.class,  in the server modloader to make sure folks who use this tool don't create conflicting template ID's. I don't know anything about graphics but I thought there where tools to push custom grafix to the clients. The main thing with the wall scones would be if its possible to add either a ground offset or an invisible poll (the poll part couldn't blue highlight) so the scone looks like its mounted in the wall. 

An API hu? It seem to me that in order to make an API Wurm will first have to re-write significant portions of the code. Given what I've seen regarding how the code is written it doesn't look like it's going to be easy. Although, I could very well be wrong about this. An API would be good for me if it let me write mods using  mainstream Java code (not lots of bytecode manipulation and some reflection is okay).

On 14/07/2016 at 3:33 AM, joedobo said:

I been working on a mod to alter how fire and furnaces work. For example, forges with larger fuel capacity, examine messages that tell you exactly how long the fire will burn for...and others.

I don't think it's that difficult to make mods. If I were to average an hour or so a day writing mods I could probably make a mod at least every two weeks. My problem is motivation. I think the code I have to write to make mods is weird. Bytecode manipulation is just strange and reflection is a little better but still not what I consider mainstream java programing. I'd almost rather go get JMonkey and make my own game. With this I could at least use a broader selection Java code techniques. I don't have the skill to make A Wurm like game but I could do old-school arcade game clones.

Nice but really this makes my point about a few small mods that benefit a few people but really don't add much to the game as such. If I knew Java, I'd like to change how a few things work (ie: making a Keel from a felled tree NOT in your inventory) but that's just personal preference.

As I said before, what I'd most like to see is a group of modders getting together to make something epic. This has been done in a few other games and has become an instant hit with fans. How about 'Wurm 500 years on' with some more tech?

Believe a lot of modders got confused especially with no official API which supposedly ErikN was working on before he left, new WOM format, New Render, the promise of modeling tutorials and the Developers largely being quiet on WU

Also a very poorly constructed Epic world that part of the base game

Edited by enoofu

On 7/13/2016 at 7:26 PM, razoreqx said:

Well a couple issues but I agree with Steve, an API is certainly needed.     

1.   The size of graphic packs I have already hit the 2.6Gb mark.   This means i need a bit more horse power than ago's modloader.  I really need a CDN solution with a wrapper.   The java server / client MOD is kinda slow for this with even a 36mb file.

2.   The larger systems like RVR, Pirate encounters, and trade pacts, new ships, new armor and weapons (unique raid dungeons, items, mobs) require more than a mod can handle.   Its easier to write the code on a dedicated server in a more robust language like (C++ or C#)  with its own SQL DB, then feed the information via the api using hooks.    The problem is there needs to be a "LOT" of hooks for this.   

I think with time we may see it.    I hope so anyway.   

Jim 

Jim, I won't say that java is not a robust language. problem is almost always not the language (with very few exceptions as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain###### and basic).

• Like 1

On 7/16/2016 at 4:23 PM, nekoexmachina said:

Jim, I won't say that java is not a robust language. problem is almost always not the language (with very few exceptions as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain###### and basic).

Thanks for keeping me honest :)