Sign in to follow this  
Greyfox

Pirates

Building on my earlier suggestion about low to mid level combat events I now bring forward NPC pirates.
How it works;
When crossing servers there is a chance to be intercepted by NPC pirates.   The event creates an instance area.  The pirates have hooked your ship and boarding parties are about to cross to your ship. Ships in this case would act like solid ground does(basically just ground made to look somewhat like a ship to make it easy for the Devs).
Pirate difficulty is scaled to the average CR of the ship(ship alts will be considered lvl 20 fs at least{including offline alts}). 
You can defeat the pirates and loot their ship instead. 
Maybe some options for running away or avoiding the event completely for those who don't want their cross server travel to be made even longer.

• Like 1

good idea, this means more people will die on the boarder and lose their boats with no chance of recovering their corpse, this means more free loot for me

+1

• Like 2

Mmm not bad. Id especially want such mechanics in pvp.

While personally Id prefer such as pvp, pve in the form of human npcs is passable.

Far as dying goes... let the winning NPCs have a place to take their illgotten loot...

This would be interesting if sailing to  PvP realms.  Let people sail out to intercept, while others are just sailing through....  let there be random "match-ups"

9 hours ago, Greyfox said:

The event creates an instance area.

This alone almost certainly makes the suggestion a non-starter. Instanced areas have been explicitly stated to be against the design goals of Wurm, and are problematic in their own ways (such as what happens if you leave an item there, or your boat gets stuck there, and the instance is destroyed).

Vikings sounds more appropriate. Either way I wouldn't want to run into either one.

10 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

This alone almost certainly makes the suggestion a non-starter. Instanced areas have been explicitly stated to be against the design goals of Wurm, and are problematic in their own ways (such as what happens if you leave an item there, or your boat gets stuck there, and the instance is destroyed).

Well, could be a water based server that you get pulled to.  If you're silly enough to leave something behind, just keep crossing server borders until you get pulled back into the event, defeat a newly spawned group of pirates, then go look for your stuff before leaving.

On 7/13/2016 at 0:23 AM, UnknownOrganism said:

good idea, this means more people will die on the boarder and lose their boats with no chance of recovering their corpse, this means more free loot for me

+1

Lol I had the same image in my head but the memory that popped into mind was an incident involveing an eaglesprit spawn ontop of me while I was sailing in chaos with no wind to escape.