Sign in to follow this  
No_need_to_know

One free teleport after long inactivity

I have came back to play some wurm after several years of inactivity, and the map around me changed quite a lot. Now what used to be my old settlement (of course abandoned long ago) is deep in enemy territory and I'm stuck in a collapsed mine. Collapsed mine is one thing, but I find it really unfair that I come back and I'm in enemy territory because I had no way to know when I left how the borders might change in the future.

My suggestion is to have a free teleport after long inactivity so your first experience when you come back playing is not dying instantly and losing everything you once had. Alternative is to judge every case individually.

• Like 2

Sorry for the alias though, I'm still struggling to get home and I don't want anyone to locate me yet.

+1 

Tele to start deed after inactivity 

Should be an actual long time though like 4-6 months so someone cant just log out with their valuables in a raid to teleport them out like a week later or something dumb 

Edited by Alexgopen

12 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

+1 

Tele to start deed after inactivity 

Should be an actual long time though like 4-6 months so someone cant just log out with their valuables in a raid to teleport them out like a week later or something dumb 

I think hes talking about at least a 2 month period of inactivity.

+1

This feels reasonable. Being a sandbox the lands of Wurm are ever changing, so someone returning being able to teleport back to a start deed seems perfectly reasonable.

Edited by Darmalus

+1 

I remember having to catapult people out of abondened deeds that we no longer had the keys to the 15ish gate keys needed to get out.

hmm, difficult one.

+1 in cases as mentioned above

-1 due to cases like a certain altbeing locked in a reinforced mine with valuable loot on him and the owner acting like "im not gonna log that char in until chaos is being reset" just to decline the loot for the party who should have gotten it.

maybe somehow bind it to wether or not the deed the player logged out on when he did is still existing AND a certain period of time (6 months or whatever) passed?

suck it up /suicide, or ask someone to help you get out

this wouldn't happen to be kingen would it? your alt has been stuck in a mine for months now haha

unless you are on epic (does epic even have a refuge?) there is no excuse for leaving the game on chaos rather than heading to freedom first

also why not just mine your way out, or is everything reinforced? if that is the case sounds like you were trapped fair and square and just looking for an easy way out

Edited by JakeRivers

It is my main character and I have not escaped from anything by logging out, simply stopped playing. Was not even planned, just didn't feel like logging again for a long long while.

also why not just mine your way out, or is everything reinforced?

Being stuck in a mine is only a minor concern, my biggest problem is being stuck in enemy territory.

9 hours ago, Arium said:

-1 due to cases like a certain altbeing locked in a reinforced mine with valuable loot on him and the owner acting like "im not gonna log that char in until chaos is being reset" just to decline the loot for the party who should have gotten it.

Nah this would never happen...

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1

Lowering the walls for returning players is a good thing.

giving players a easy way out in pvp a bad thing =p

+1, returning players could use a hand in cases like these do they don't just end up quitting right away again. The lower the wall for returning players the better.

You might even get more people to PvP with that way, assuming you guys want that. Though I'd probably make it at least 9-12  months and not 6, and only if the account has had prem in the past. Then there's very little point for somebody to abuse it with an alt due to the long wait time compared to simply setting up a rescue operation much earlier.

Sure, even then it can still be abused if you're very patient, but it doesn't sound like something that would happen a lot and it sounds like it's worth the trade off of getting more PvP players.

40 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

"Quitting for 6 months is an easy way out"

Don't get me wrong I think trapping players in caves is a good thing, I've done it several times before to Titanic, Soba, Glasse, Dingov, and even tried selling their affinities on the forums; but if someone is going to quit for 6 months to abuse this mechanic just to spite you, they are hurting themselves more than they hurt you.  

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Ecrir said:

Though I'd probably make it at least 9-12  months and not 6

this alt with all kingens gear on it that he used to save his gear has been logged off for 4 months or more now? why should he just have to wait a few more months for a free exit? well not that he can port out anyways ^_^

52 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Just disable it on PvP servers then, we don't mind if your numbers drop too much ;)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

this alt with all kingens gear on it that he used to save his gear has been logged off for 4 months or more now? why should he just have to wait a few more months for a free exit? well not that he can port out anyways ^_^

If one character and his gear is worth sacrificing a potential increase in PvP players for by keeping up unnecessary walls for returning players, then by all means keep things as they are. As Etherdrifter said, we don't mind if your numbers drop too much, doesn't affect us PvE players in any way ;)

I dunno, logging out for 6 months just to spite a side in pvp seems a bit extreme.

Interesting idea though, will pass it on!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I dunno, logging out for 6 months just to spite a side in pvp seems a bit extreme.

Interesting idea though, will pass it on!

You guys are going to nerf karma ports into deeds to make it harder to defend, now you want to consider handing out free teleports?

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I don't think forcing enemies to stay logged out for 6+ months just to keep their stuff is "giving them an easy way out".

• Like 1

maybe if it were restricted just like karma ports so that enemies in local block it

• Like 1

How the hell did I get dragged into this!?

6 hours ago, Lulu said:

How the hell did I get dragged into this!?

Wizards did it.

I don't see the harm on PvE - in fact I think it would be quite good for PvE servers where I can think of no adverse effects. No way should this ever be a thing for PvP though.

Edit: I feel I should add, I was on Elevation in a PMK some years ago, didn't log in for a considerable length of time. The PMK was long gone by the time I logged back in. I contacted someone on JKH who agreed to fetch me. All I had to do was make it to the coast. HA, easier said than done. I died 4 or 5 times (once to enemies on one of my corpse runs - fortunately I hadn't got to my earlier corpse yet, otherwise I'd have kissed goodbye to my supreme toolbelt and enchanted tools/weapons). My rescuer also died to the enemies and a death to wildlife (thankfully again the PvP death was on the corpse run so no gear lost). It took about 4 or 5 hours to get off the server and while the two of us were exhausted and at times frustrated, we agreed it was some of the most fun we'd ever had in Wurm.

I'll agree that it wouldn't have been nearly as 'fun' if I'd lost my gear to the enemies, however, it's a risk of being on a PvP server. It's your choice to log in or not. the game should not give you a free pass because you decided to ignore a persistent world for a while. If you find you're not inspired to play for a while but wish to be sure of the safety of your inventory, log in for the hour or less it takes you to get to a starter-town. They're not going anywhere.

• Like 3