Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #27 Fashion and Fighting

header.png

Hi Everyone!

This week sees some long awaited updates in the news, which means there hasn't been an update beyond a rift tweak, but don't worry, this doesn't mean there's been no work.

Xanadu domains

We attempted enabling an optimised version of the new domain system on Xanadu today, but unfortunately lag was still evident. We have disabled this system again and will continue to work on it.

Summer fashion carnival

The long teased new clothing will go live next week! These new clothing types will certainly allow you to show off and customise your day to day look even further! We will have recipies available upon the update.

PvP Changes

Later on today the test server will be updated with some PvP changes, affecting various issues such as spell resistances, armour damage reduction, and boats! Although these changes are for PvP, they will also affect how combat, spells and boats work within PvE, so make sure you check it out! The full thread can be found here:

If you want to check out the changes, use the test client here:

http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test.jnlp

And unstable test client (two birds with one stone!) here:

http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_test_unstable.jnlp

Unstable client work

Work continues with the unstable client, with many fixes for issues with AMD and lighting! Be sure to check out the client and report any issues you experience, if you don't now, there may be issues when it moves to live!

Community Content

This weeks community content is a timelapse video of the landscape by moho. Did you know timelapse screenshots can be taken by typing "timelapse x" (without the quotes) in the console, where x is replaced by a number determining how many seconds to wait between screenshots.

That's it for this week! Let us know how the combat changes feel, as we continue to work on improving how it flows.

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Summer fashion carnival

The long teased new clothing will go live next week! These new clothing types will certainly allow you to show off and customise your day to day look even further! We will have recipies available upon the update.

Thank you! I have been awaiting this for ages!

98.5 Cloth Tailor taking orders

• Like 3

The clothing sounds nice, the PvP changes make me nervous...

" they will also affect how combat, spells and boats work within PvE "

That rarely bodes well for PvE priests.

Edit: I just read the changelog and essentially you've nerfed healers.  Thats probably not going to end well.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call it a nerf it's just putting a little RNG into all our lives.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Namekat said:

I wouldn't call it a nerf it's just putting a little RNG into all our lives.

Into *your* lives, I'm the guy standing at the back casting the heal spells and wearing ligher armour/riding a faster horse.  Odds are its not going to be me who gets killed while you wait for that nice long 5 min cooldown after a power 5 heal cast ;)

• Like 2

Since we are not allowed to complained in the actual topic linked to above I will complain here:

So, my healer priest is not a healer priest anymore?

I wont be able to heal a wound compleatly, is that what is going to happen?
So why did I skill up to be a healer?

All I ever do with my Fo priest else is cast genesis.

If I have misunderstood it, pleace explain what it means.

you wont be able to heal a wound completely if you don't know what your spells do maybe

you know you have like a bunch of healing spells right? not just two?
looks like we've got another hashirama who doesn't know what their spells do. :P

Edited by UnknownOrganism

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Did you know timelapse screenshots can be taken by typing "timelapse x"

how do i stop it? timelapse 0? timelapse off? quit the game? didnt see any info on wurmpedia keybinds page.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Into *your* lives, I'm the guy standing at the back casting the heal spells and wearing ligher armour/riding a faster horse.  Odds are its not going to be me who gets killed while you wait for that nice long 5 min cooldown after a power 5 heal cast ;)

he IS a fo priest and doesn't play some 'healer role' because it isn't necessary nor works on pvp to have "roles"

i would try out the changes first personally.  healing spells in wo have always been or had the potential to be ridiculously overpowered

19 minutes ago, UnknownOrganism said:

you wont be able to heal a wound completely if you don't know what your spells do maybe

you know you have like a bunch of healing spells right? not just two?
looks like we've got another hashirama who doesn't know what their spells do. :P

I have ofc used my healing spells also LoF.

Offline players no longer add to the speed of a boat.

Please, never enable this on PvE. Not enough complaints about sailing speed, huh?

However as a shipbuilder, i am very glad to hear that QL is going to matter more soon :) Thank you!

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

he IS a fo priest and doesn't play some 'healer role' because it isn't necessary nor works on pvp to have "roles"

i would try out the changes first personally.  healing spells in wo have always been or had the potential to be ridiculously overpowered

PvP isn't PvE, you folks really need to learn this some time.

The balance techniques for PvP games (largely aiming to give both "sides" a "fair" chance) and PvE games (largely aiming to provide a steadily increasing challenge) are different.  These ideas, while not entirely mutually exclusive, tend not to overlap much.  A notion of balance that is perfectly logical in PvP is not always going to work in PvE and vice versa.  This is why updates that "balance" PvP (or are "balanced" for PvP) always make me a little nervous since, so far, they just decimate balance on PvE.

Yes clothing adds.  Will we ever be able to dye the clothing different colors.  Either way they are a awesome add that will greatly add to the look of the game and event I can remember when every person you met was like looking in a mirror.  WURM has come so far! :-)

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This weeks community content is a timelapse video of the landscape by moho.

Someone couldn't find a project to time-lapse?  Six minutes of me sitting here expecting a tree to fall, and a deed to emerge from below.  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trepper said:

Yes clothing adds.  Will we ever be able to dye the clothing different colors.  Either way they are a awesome add that will greatly add to the look of the game and event I can remember when every person you met was like looking in a mirror.  WURM has come so far! :-)

+1, currently it looks like we are Puritans when most medieval clothing was very colorful and bright

Edited by enoofu
  • Like 1

All this talk of death and healers at rifts, idk what you guys are doing wrong but you probably need to train up more and are attempting something beyond your skills.  I did a rift with only 3 other people and no healers through all three stages and even sat farming mobs on the third stage. Nobody died and nobody lost a horse.  I have a feeling you've geared up 10fs players or something and are expecting them to be able to do this if you're spamming LoF, when this is completely an unreasonable expectation.  Rifts are end game content with high strength mobs and aren't meant to be doable by just anyone.  Go skill up some instead of complaining to make something easy enough for alts to do 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

All this talk of death and healers at rifts, idk what you guys are doing wrong but you probably need to train up more and are attempting something beyond your skills.  I did a rift with only 3 other people and no healers through all three stages and even sat farming mobs on the third stage. Nobody died and nobody lost a horse.  I have a feeling you've geared up 10fs players or something and are expecting them to be able to do this if you're spamming LoF, when this is completely an unreasonable expectation.  Rifts are end game content with high strength mobs and aren't meant to be doable by just anyone.  Go skill up some instead of complaining to make something easy enough for alts to do 

Do you know that the number of mobs scale with number of participants? The way agro mechanics work, there is always a chance to get 15 mobs on you suddenly, also any connection problem will kill your horse and maybe yourself as well. And... oh well, just... it's different here, okay?

Edited by zigozag

11 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Do you know that the number of mobs scale with number of participants? The way agro mechanics work, there is always a chance to get 15 mobs on you suddenly, also any connection problem will kill your horse and maybe yourself as well. And... oh well, just... it's different here, okay?

So pull a few mobs at a time to kill instead of aggroing the entire horde? What I'm saying is that LoF isn't even necessary for rifts unless you are unprepared, using poor technique or making mistakes 

Problem: aggro 15 mobs

Solution: ride to edge to lose aggro and reaggro just a few

Problem: connection

Solution: get better internet or don't go, not the games fault and not LoF's responsibility to counter 

Problem: dying too fast

Solution: put on a shield and lt longsword

Problem: still dying

Solution: go train up more and try the next rift

The solution is not to spam LoF when you fail to correct your own mistakes 

Edited by Alexgopen

3 hours ago, zigozag said:

Please, never enable this on PvE. Not enough complaints about sailing speed, huh?

However as a shipbuilder, i am very glad to hear that QL is going to matter more soon :) Thank you!

Loading up a knarr with a bunch of offline alts is just annoying and bizarre. Sailing speed needs to be improved to the point where such shenanigans are no longer necessary.

QL having an effect on a ship's speed is a great step in the right direction.

That said, for a single person on a sailing vessel, what QL would be the equivalent of current ship speeds? Will all ships be faster now, or will things under, say, 30QL be slower than they are currently?

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Loading up a knarr with a bunch of offline alts is just annoying and bizarre. Sailing speed needs to be improved to the point where such shenanigans are no longer necessary.

QL having an effect on a ship's speed is a great step in the right direction.

That said, for a single person on a sailing vessel, what QL would be the equivalent of current ship speeds? Will all ships be faster now, or will things under, say, 30QL be slower than they are currently?

Before ql added 1/10th the speed benefit that a single player would.  It was an incredibly small speed boost but over long boat fights it would sometimes allow the rear boat to catch up.  Now you can get the effect of a half full boat from ql alone, making ql a large factor in a boats speed, equally important as fullness.  In PvP I see this as a very good thing because now you don't know exactly how fast the opponents boat will be, while before you could pretty reliably escape if you wanted because two full boats would go about the same speed. 

Edited by Alexgopen

19 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Before ql added 1/10th the speed benefit that a single player would.  It was an incredibly small speed boost but over long boat fights it would sometimes allow the rear boat to catch up.  Now you can get the effect of a half full boat from ql alone, making ql a large factor in a boats speed, equally important as fullness.  In PvP I see this as a very good thing because now you don't know exactly how fast the opponents boat will be, while before you could pretty reliably escape if you wanted because two full boats would go about the same speed. 

And the added "shooting at boats to damage and reduce effective QL" will add some dynamic I think. I still want fire. FIRE. LIGHT THE WORLD ON FIRE.

S..sorry... I get a little excited...

• Like 6