Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

So what's up with Jackel? (and other events)

So just kind of a question that leads to a suggestion.

What's up with Jackel and Rifts?  What does the King do in PvE?  Is there a King?  What's new in the kingdom?  The servers?

The reason for these questions is simple.  Am I playing farmville, where 99% of my actions really don't matter?  I'm cool with gaining trophies, and getting new skills, but my question is will there be any change in the world be cause I have these skills or a lack there of?   

I think what I'm asking for (and others) is something a little external.  Yes, things in wurm can still be player driven, but isn't there supposedly 4 kingdoms? Don't they fight each other?  Must cost materials, food, weapons, such.

This could be the basis for PvE world quests? Perhaps the King needs goods donated to maintain the armies, food, bandages, armor, weapons.  This could be a quest, that helps improve or maintain the costs of tower guards spawning.

Just something to tie in all the loose ends.  As far as the jackel is concerned, Shouldn't there be a message from the king stating the need for aid?  I mean I'd love to get some in game letters about this stuff.  I really hate having to look in the change logs, or dev blogs, or town hall FORUMS.  for things that are IN GAME.

Am I ranting by myself, or are there others who have similar questions?

Edited by Tallios

Freedom is freedom, which means the king do nothing else than having his coffers (refilled by upkeeps, merchants taxes, whatever) are plundered by the traders, forage / botanise / selling options.

Waring kingdoms are only on chaos... and are no longuer the default ones (only Hots survive as such) but PMKs. So not really on the same model as freedom and the kings / chiefs / figure autority do something like leading others players to victory (or death... whatever). Same thing, chaos tend to manage their things on their own, you can see sometime players wishing to buy mats or gear but that's not really frequent... and a Chaos delivery is not protected for you (or the buyer) in any way... because full loot PvP.

Kings quests / players managed quests would be a good (or even great) thing, would give the players a use for their skills (because right now, either you sell goods / services or your skills are only good for your own use).

I'm all in for a better living wurm world. Having side quests as an option, where you can explore the world to kill 10 large rats or decide 'f*** that, i'm going to breed sheep'. Imho, a proper integration of some theme parks (WoW and others) elements could be a good way to give Wurm a second life / breath and bring back some interest, break the grinding routine.

As long as, those elements are only mandatory and do not become totally necessary to enjoy the game. Wurm is still a sandbox, more options are good, being forced in a path is not.

Nota : Jackel/jackals mobs & events sucks and are right now a poor implementation of what could have been a great idea.

Edited by Odynn
forgot about the 'Jackel'

4 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Freedom is freedom, which means the king do nothing else than having his coffers (refilled by upkeeps, merchants taxes, whatever) are plundered by the traders, forage / botanise / selling options.

Well, I guess what I would like to see is an option for a more logistical approach to things.  Like guard towers needing items to respawn, not just magical refills.  There could be a common quest for all the towers, and a local fulfillment for a specific tower.  I personally would like to radically change how towers operate, but I know it would lead to a lot of hatred.

That should fulfill the optional, but highly recommended play style.  

Maybe items "sold" to a trader or merchant while on a quest could count for their trade value? (might throw off the kings coffers to much)  Or maybe just double?

Edited by Tallios

22 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Well, I guess what I would like to see is an option for a more logistical approach to things.  Like guard towers needing items to respawn, not just magical refills.

you CAN equip tower guards with weapons, and i think nowadays even shields, which will make them more useful, but as the toughest PvE enemies can basically be beaten to death with a mallet, well theres not much use to it.

but about the overall suggestion. well, the main problem i see with world quests is a proper balancing. the only currently existing missions are the valrei stuff. on epic they give tomes, which are nowadays a necessarity to be on top of the food line, on freedom they only give some sb and karma, how many people really care enough about missions to do those except for the really easy ones? basically noone does.

translating this to the quest approach is the way to balance the rewards, are they too big and maybe even daily quests? this would probably turn off a huge chunk of players, just saying "Chores Online" to this. most people should know what i mean.

are they too little? who would care about them at all?

what kind of rewards for pve quests would you deem fitting?

- gear? most gear can be produced by the many high skilled crafters in the game really quickly

- skill gains? if the quests would be unique newbies who would use them to get some knowledge about the game would be angry afterwards about missing out on those rewards when they are really useful. seasoned players would be using them to gain an advantage and get those gains at 99+ skill where they're getting harder and harder to get.

- cosmetics? might be an option, some people would care, a lot probably wouldnt.

- titles? same as above. theres way too many titles and you can only have one active at a time, most have their favorite title setup which they think sounds really cool and barely change it. if they would give benefits to imping like the armor smith tiles do this would turn into another chore for those who dont have those titles yet, or for those doing skills where the current titles dont have any benefit.

and as odynn already mentioned, yes. the king is a contruct from Wild back in the days and has no meaning on freedom at all these days. but as i mentioned above giving it a purpose that is optional but useful and well balanced would take a lot of idea gathering, planning and others. if you want to do this, go ahead, maybe the devs will like the idea, if they dont and just scrap it the disappointment after putting in a lot of time and work might be huge tho.

for letting the devs do it, i think they currently already have projects like the rendering engine, or are hopefully involved in the PvP changes.

2 minutes ago, Arium said:

you CAN equip tower guards with weapons, and shields.... But they do not stay with the tower, they drop random despawn areas.  Also ANYONE can steal them.

toughest PvE enemies can be beaten with a mallet....      Not by me, and if so should call into question the balance of mobs.

on freedom missions only sb and karma...  This is a point where quests deity or kingdom should have a world impact, not just personal

"Chores Online"....  What I would suggest is a place to drop materials that would be used to improve/repair items and that's what is consumed to prevent damage on all protected things on the deed.   I wouldn't want people to have to run around their deed checking everything, but why not give them a "daily goal" that would reduce the cost of coin for upkeep.

most gear can be produced quickly...   This is where making the guards at towers nothing more than naked persons without gear, and thus would need equipment

cosmetics?...   I'm all for it, because a lot of people love to specialize.

titles?...  a little overdone and really seems only good for roleplaying.

i think they currently already have projects like the rendering engine, or are hopefully involved in the PvP changes...  I'm more than happy, as are many other players to help set up smooth and small changes that will eventually lead to a full and flushed out world of wurm.