Sign in to follow this  
Melkurion

Help with local server

Good day,

I love the look, idea and feel of this game but I really don't want to create a character on a server only to have the person maintaining the server to quit and have all that i have done vanish.

I found the Wurm Unlimited feature and managed to get both the Adventure and Creative servers to at least come up and let me create a character on the server.

Are there any tutorials on these two servers?

I imagine the Adventure Server to be one with existing Kingdoms and therefore political issues and could probably be quite a bit of fun trying to find my way through it but I cannot find the documentation.

I tried YouTube but I confess, my time has been very limited due to real life issues so I was hoping someone might have a link to some documentation on the difference between the two servers that come with the game and maybe some "how to begin" very basic information.  I do like to figure things out so I don't want a hand holding tutorial but as an example, for the life of me I could not figure out how to simply terraform a path four of the panels from the water to some rock at the base of the mountain.  It was very steep and though I dug, dropped, flattened and rinsed and repeated, nothing got me close to that rock face and then I was simply killed by a huge scorpion.

I would love to play on a server with others but the game has been out for a couple of years and if you are that far behind you are unlikely to be able to join in on many activities other than asking for help with trolls etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I really need a good place to simply relax and let my mind be a bit creative as I am retired, not by choice, and nothing to do will have you talking to the walls in no time.

Thank you!

Melkurion

In adventure mode there are the 3  kingdoms that are already in existence (Mol-Rehan, Jenn-Kelon and Horde of the Summoned). There is a starter town setup for each and you are able to choose to join any one of the three when you first login. Each of these kingdoms are hostile toward each other. There is a basic sort of in game adventure you can follow starting by listening to the conch that should be in your inventory upon entering the adventure server. You are also able to find various hidden items spread out across the map. 

With the Creative mode server, there is only one kingdom (Freedom Isles) by default. There are no pre-built buildings, or any beginning settlements. It's a much more raw world, where you the settler must build everything for the server. 

This stand-alone version of the game (Wurm Unlimited) was only just released October of 2015, and there are plenty of servers that have quicker skill gain, while not being too quick So, playing on public server it may not take you as long to catch up to other players as you might think. There are a few public Wurm Unlimited servers that take back-ups very seriously, and they seem like they will be around for years to come. 

In terms of learning new game mechanics the wurmpedia is a great resource. Although it was originally written for Wurm Online, nearly all the pages and guides within wurmpedia will still be applicable to Wurm Unlimited.