Sign in to follow this  
Malena

"Spirit Steed" idea

Something that popped into my head the other day was how cool it would be for the game to introduce "Spirit Steeds" for deed owners.

They could have the same rendering as the Spirit Templar (I tried to mimic this in Photoshop to give some idea)

Spirit-Steed.jpg

The purpose of Spirit Steeds:

• To ease the life of a deed owner to move around on their deed by having a horse that is at their beck and call at any time without having to fetch it from a stable, without worrying about it wandering off etc. I find that half the time I can't be bothered to use my saddled horses because it's own chore to go get them (I have a very big deed) 
  • To give a perk to people who invest in having a deed
  • As a status symbol for deed owners, especially if they have villagers on their deed
  • Aids in fighting mobs alongside spirit templars, however is much weaker and does not give a significant contribution to damage as not to negate the purpose of hiring spirit templars

Suggested functionality of Spirit Steeds:

• Like the spirit templars, spirit steeds roam around the deed.
  • To use the steed, be located anywhere on your deed tiles and give the command "/whistle".
  • The steed will gallop to you quickly from which ever place it was roaming around at (Funner to have it run over instead of instantly poofing, just to give a cooler sense of immersion) 
  • The steed will stand next to you for up to one minute, after which it will wander off again if you do not interact with it
  • To interact with it, right click and choose "Ride". 
  • You can ride around your deed like you would a normal high speed horse, even if you don't have enough body control. As long as you are owner of the deed, you can ride it
  • The spirit steed does not use a bridle or saddle. It cannot be kept "in place" with a saddle, however it can be "led" without the need of a rope. Simply right click and "lead" to keep it with you while on foot
  • When led, the steed will not follow you outside the boundaries of the deed and you will lose lead once you cross that threshold
  • Once dismounting or un-leading, the spirit steed will stand in place for 1 minute, after which it will run off again
  • You can only have 1 steed per deed, however this steed will progress as your deed progresses
  • The spirit steed will give off the occasional ghostly neigh in the distance

Conditions for getting a Spirit Steed:

• Spirit steeds are not bought or hired like Spirit templars, instead they are "gifted" to deeds that are older than X amount of months/years (perhaps for when a deed turns 1 year old?) The idea is to encourage players to keep deeds going
  • From that point on, the older the deed, the faster the Spirit steed gets - but of course keeping to a reasonable speed that does not become unmanageable 

Inspiration source:

• Like 19

What a great idea. Knowing the great work you did on the new horses I want to see what you did in Photoshop. The picture didn't show up correctly, however, 

Edit: How weird. I just opened the thread again and it showed up. I like how it looks but I think it could do with some deviation from just a regular white horse that's just transparent. Something interesting to add to the model would be like some cool/creepy armor. I'm not really sure as I am not that creative. 

Edited by Zachariah
  • Like 1

Thank you Zach. Here is the link of the image if you can't see it. 

http://andrea.net/wurm/suggestions/Spirit-Steed.jpg

Is anyone having problems seeing the image in the original post? I tried looking in different browsers and it's showing for me in all of them.

A really original, well thought out idea.

+1

• Like 1

+1

Great idea. Also very well prepared post as always, wouldn't do better by myself.

• Like 1

Another great idea from you, very impressed.

+1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malena said:

Something that popped into my head the other day was how cool it would be for the game to introduce "Spirit Steeds" for deed owners.

They could have the same rendering as the Spirit Templar (I tried to mimic this in Photoshop to give some idea)

I wouldn't make it a veteran only thing;  What i believe  should/could be done in my opinion is when a horse dies, you need to give that horse a blessed burial.  With some sort of grave marker that takes up a tile.  

• The Quality and damage of this object determine the strength speed and power of this spirit horse.
  • As long as you maintain the grave, you get a horse. One horse per such grave; this would allow for deed owners to have multiple horses.
  • The grave should be subject to natural decay rules, no special deed protections, cannot be indoors.
  • Lastly, you should be able to ride this horse into your perimeter, but can only call him from the deeded area.
  • If you ride off deed perimeter *Poof* you're walking
Edited by Tallios
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a spirit steed. If you wanted to make it really special could always use a hell horse as the base model and give it ethereal spirit flames. Or that look could be included as an upgrade as the deed/steed progresses? 

• Like 1

+1

What a nice idea!

• Like 1

Best idea I've seen on the suggestion forum in quite some time.

• Like 1

Wow, the positive reaction took me by surprise. Nice to see folks would like this as well. Of course it's a very "wishlist" extra type of thing, and we're eternally in the situation for there being more urgent things devs could be working on. But perhaps this is something they could keep in mind the next time they plan ways to reward loyal long playing folks.

Zachariah and Araninke: Oh I love the idea of the horse looking a bit more epic, and Ara nice idea about the epicness growing as well! It would really enhance the status aspect! If there was ever a game in which to be proud to say you've been around for a long time, it's this one!

Tallios: Interesting perspective as well, thank you for brainstorming. There are definitely some super cool aspects to your ideas and something like that could be cool for a different purpose. Perhaps that could even be a minigame played during the halloween season :). But actually my primary goals with this idea are: convenience for deed owners and rewarding loyal players. So your ideas take a bit of a different twist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malena said:

Tallios: Interesting perspective as well, thank you for brainstorming. There are definitely some super cool aspects to your ideas and something like that could be cool for a different purpose. Perhaps that could even be a minigame played during the halloween season :). But actually my primary goals with this idea are: convenience for deed owners and rewarding loyal players. So your ideas take a bit of a different twist.

My ideas stem from a logistical approach, not just a veteran or cash reward.  Something that is a process that has some roleplaying aspect maybe, but has the ability to be accomplished by anyone.  The advantage of course with my direction of thinking is that any veteran would have the means to maintain and improve these constructs as opposed to a new player.  Additionally by the construct needing a tile on deed, it would effectively have a cost 5.6 copper (cost deed rent) per 28 days the construct is kept.

6 hours ago, Araninke said:

I like the idea of a spirit steed. If you wanted to make it really special could always use a hell horse as the base model and give it ethereal spirit flames. Or that look could be included as an upgrade as the deed/steed progresses? 

I love where this is going!  Maybe give it like 3-5 stages of growth where it goes from a plain ghost horse to a ghostly hell horse, to a ghostly hell horse in barding? 

Reminds me of the veteran reward items in Ultima Online that allowed one to summon ethereal versions of mounts. B)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karrde said:

Reminds me of the veteran reward items in Ultima Online that allowed one to summon ethereal versions of mounts. B)

Check out the last section of text in the original post ;-)

And yeah, weren't they great? :)

1 hour ago, Malena said:

Check out the last section of text in the original post ;-)

And yeah, weren't they great? :)

Very handy.

Ah, yes. Had read so much while considering how much this reminded me of the UO rewards, I must have skipped over the last line. "Once again"?

• Like 1