Sign in to follow this  
Zachariah

Summer Impalong Anyone?

Summer Impalong?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a summer impalong?

Hi everyone!

I have been thinking for a couple months now that I would like to host and organize another impalong. If any of you are still around, and remember, I organized the Xanadu one up at J25 in July of last year. It was the most fun I have ever had. It was also the most stressed I have ever been but it was a real treat.

So, I spoke with the alliance I am in on Indy, The N. Indy Alliance, and we all decided that it would be a lot of fun. We decided that the end of July to the middle of August would be a perfect time to do it as it is far enough from the Easter impalong we just had as well as it is farm enough from the upcoming Christmas Impalong that Shrimpiie will be hosting at this deed in the SE of Indy.

The impalong would be hosted at my deed on Collosus Lake. I have a big event center in the works that I am ready to put together if this is really going to be a thing. (See spoiler for a picture of the location) The deed is right on the coast of Collosus Lake and has a big harbor area to work with. The deed is also a 5-10 minute sail from the N/E server border into Collosus Lake.

Spoiler

Ixf9DzV.png

I have attached a poll to this post to get the feeling from the community on if we really should have an impalong or not. Please vote! and if you have anything to say please feel free to post it below. In a couple days I will check the poll and see what people have said and I will decide from there. Please keep the posts constructive. And I look forward to hearing from you guys about if we should do this.

--Zachariah

Edited by Zachariah

Should we have a summer impalong, yeah, why not... I do wonder what all those impalongs bring to us, they used to be a time where the old timers gathered and helped the new players, big events everyone loved.

Now we see them more and more often with a wurmian population/community diminishing and with less and less new players. Worse we often see the same names going to those impalongs for free imps / enchants they can sell later on.

I'm all in for some player events, all in for helping new players to settle on Wurm but do we need to market them as impalongs and take away from them what used to be a one big yearly gathering and turn them into easily abused events.

I will be reserving my vote for now and see the options / suggestions others (players or officials) will offer.

• Like 5

Everyone loves to play host.  I did it once when we opened a regional market on NE Xanadu (long before Summerholt market), but it was primarily a "cast-along" to bring more priests to what turned out to be a very successful sermon group.

I'm also not a fan of impalongs because it seems like there is either an impalong or plans to host one every month somewhere.  Seems a little redundant to me, especially considering there was already an impalong on North Indi a few months ago.

Besides, haven't you stolen enough thunder by taking it upon yourself to jump the gun and build the new starter town that over a dozen people were planning?

• Like 1

A "cast-along" sounds like a sweet idea. I'd only be interested in an impalong for priesty reasons. The Easter impalong was my first and only and even I could see that it was being abused by people who didn't really need it. 

Like Odynn, I'll reserve my vote and wait for some other suggestions and opinions.

29 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Everyone loves to play host.  I did it once when we opened a regional market on NE Xanadu (long before Summerholt market), but it was primarily a "cast-along" to bring more priests to what turned out to be a very successful sermon group.

I'm also not a fan of impalongs because it seems like there is either an impalong or plans to host one every month somewhere.  Seems a little redundant to me, especially considering there was already an impalong on North Indi a few months ago.

Besides, haven't you stolen enough thunder by taking it upon yourself to jump the gun and build the new starter town that over a dozen people were planning?

I agree on every point but I say no.

A lot of people have great things to say in this, not everyone who has posted but almost everyone. I appreciate all your words and will take them into consideration. :)

WIth Summer comes some seasonal players back to the game and also new players who tend to have more free time this  time of year, so any events especially a community minded impalong to get them familar for old and new players.  Gives people a chance to actual meet and interact with old and new friends.

Run with it Zach :)

• Like 1

I like the yearly event. Makes it more fun and unique, and it's the only time I seem to work on JS. I wouldn't be against an event where people bring their own stuff, and imp it themselves, communally (maybe trading with people who have high QL raw materials), but it seems a bit like a QL grab when everyone brings stuff every few months to get imped up.

Can we just get together and have Enki kill us for a bit instead? That part is so fun. 

• Like 1

How about a "Summer fest"? Any cool ideas on something other than an impalong?

• Like 3

I also prefer a non-impalong festival. Boat races, horse races, foot races, archery, sparring, treasure hunts, navigation challenges, hide and seek...

• Like 6

I believe all our servers have facilities (coliseums/stadiums/arenas) of all kind to host events (of all kind).

We have 4 seasons, winter is traditionally the Impalong one. We can create others events for the 3 others and have a server rotation for them.

Even with our low numbers we can still showcase our servers and community and create proper gatherings. Do note the fact server corners are excellent spots for such events seeing how boat hoping is easy with the course plotting option.

As for the new players / returning ones, I'm sure we can still help them locally without forcing them to travel to another server. 70QL tools / low power enchants can be done for free or cheap, as well as helping the new players with the local information they need (resources tiles, spots to settle, etc.)

If you are looking for me... I'm already hidden!

Ive never been to an impalomng i would go.. but i guess any event would atrtract me and what vetter time than summer but i would have the impalong just a small part of it.. maybe we can catch a dragon or a have a rift nearby or some other such gm assisted fun but good plan all in all..i still consider myself new since i only got a wool bag so.. but i am coming however it turns out,.. and it would nice if the silent viewers said something the new players there are lots of them about and i would be happy to cram my knarr full of new blood.. eh ?!?!?!?  eesh?!?!!?  I mean  new  players....  so ill talk to my local newbie chapter and see if they'll tag along..I think community events like this are we brings the new players into the fold and any excuse to have a party is a good one and most of the nay sayers are people that wouldnt qualify really for new players imping service anyhow they should be providing it the whole point of the event or so i've been told...

+1

• Like 1

Summer impalong? That would be around Christmas...

• Like 2

I personally don't like multiple impalongs a year. It's like handing out free imps for no real reason. Some sort of player-made event is fine, if people want to imp stuff, that's cool, but I think we should keep it a special event for the holidays.

• Like 1

On 02.07.2016 at 10:53 PM, Odynn said:

Worse we often see the same names going to those impalongs for free imps / enchants they can sell later on

Been hearing this since i started wurming, but after visiting 2 impalongs, i think this is just a myth.

3-4 per year or more, why not? But i vote for August, don't want to miss one :)

Maybe we should have an all-year travelling fair too? Could be fun.

By the way, if you need your boat imped, come to my lair... but later, starting from the 5th of August, i think

Edited by zigozag

I think Cele is overdue for an impalong .We haven't had one since sweetsusie and them hosted at the old Fyrkat deed about a year and half ago. I've been thinking of planning something at Misfits Lodge. Being on the steppes, hunts and activities could easily be organized.

• Like 2

So many Impalongs, so many people abusing it to get free imps to sell.

someone may as well just plant a deed called "permanent impalong" and have it running 24/7-365

these things were supposed to be special, but when special becomes the norm, it's not special any more.

please dont let it lose the magic.

so much of Wurm is abused now, don't add the Impalong to the pile.

• Like 5

wait wait what?? some one had a deed called Fyrkat??!?!?!

Ah impalongs, the only time I can find someone able to imp my sickle up to 70 ^_^

I'd be along to enchant, if I could find another fo priest to enchant with me...

• Like 1

Had a great time giving out pottery items and would join again.

Events to bring the community together can only be good.

I'll be along to do a little imp'ing, and bring Astlyr along to do some priestly stuff.