Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Herb Planters / Gardens

Hey so factional fight recently made a mention of herb gardens. So I'm making a suggestion for them to be added! I'm a botanist myself and dye maker and its literally a pain to get some materials to make dyes. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to plant woad and maybe give us a red flower and add some other things also?

I would like if this had a level requirement also so it favor's high level botanists and gardening skill, so we have somthing to show for our work. Maybe skilled base for planting certain herbs and flowers woad being slightly high also red. Also consider adding a green flower and a black flower please?

With the new client shader coming soon I think this would be a favorable addition to the game, who doesn't like dye?

Also to make these planters and gardens could use pottery and carpentry or fine carp respectfully. This could be a huge update for the game if done right.

1a79ba83bdfaa53e0da86e19b0480251.jpg         strawberry-pot-feb.jpg

Edited by Niki
  • Like 11

completely agree with the ability to plant in pots and boxes.  make it require watering and maybe fresh dirt.

• Like 2

Alot of the lesser skills feel completely useless, with no purpose other than having a skill for menial actions that would otherwise be skill-less. It'd be nice if alot of these had content added to give them a real use, and something like this would definitely do that.

• Like 1

As someone who is just starting to play around with the dye skill this would be a great help. I would also like to see a form of hanging decoration / basket for those first-floor balconies that look so beautiful in Norway / Sweden during the summer months. 

• Like 2

Oh is that not common everywhere? (the nordic balconies)

Huge +1 for beeing able to grow the herbs

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1 iff it is linked to gardening and not farming

agreed it should be gardening.

+1 to being able to harvest flowers for use in the making of dyes, as some flowers are cultivated in the making of such

and it was mentioned in another thread about being able to have herb gardens, so much easier for cooking and medicinal if you had a garden with readied to be harvested. Could make them seasonal. Season of Silence would have a chance to terminate a crop of herbs.

My thoughts on how I'd implement this:

• Grown in flowerpots, marble planters, and similar containers, possibly even flowerbeds. Also potentially new items, such as flower boxes.
  • Can be placed and grown anywhere. If restrictions are needed indoors, maybe have it check for an adjacent window/arch or open roof.
  • Tending and growth stages similar to farming, but with different tools instead of a rake (watering, maybe trimming with scissors).
    • No "weed" stage. If we want to keep herb and flower plants indefinitely as decorative plants, we shouldn't have to continuously harvest them like we do with crops. Just have it get to mature/ripe stage, then stay there until we harvest, at which point it goes down to a younger stage or needs replanting (what makes sense depends on the plant, really).
  • QL and yield similar to farming, but perhaps not quite as much yield since they don't require dedicated tiles.
  • Uses gardening instead of farming skill.
  • Apply all this to grass-grown flowers, as well, so that they can be used for their current purposes but also grown in pots like herbs as per this suggestion.

Would be a great use for gardening skill, and it would certainly make sense to be able to cultivate these plants instead of just relying on botanize/forage.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

Always up for this when it comes up!

When flower pots and boxes were added, I had hoped herbs too along with my gardening skills... ah well :unsure:

Edited by Karrde

Edited my post above to contain a couple more implementation suggestions.