Sindusk

[RELEASED] (Client) Range Finder

Recommended Posts

Basically bypasses the spyglass check and gives you a permanent rangefinder cursor at the center of your screen.

Before

Spoiler

kfbkS5F.png

After

Spoiler

JDazDwc.png

With Zoom

Spoiler

y4WUjmz.png

Range finder be toggled with the following command in console:

rangefinder

Zoom can be toggled with the following command in console (recommend hotkey bind):

zoom

For use with Ago's Client Modloader.

Download [v2] (Google Drive)

 

Old Downloads:

Download [v1] (Google Drive) <No Zoom>

Edited by Sindusk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another cheat mod by sindusk taking more from the game, wooooot! #diewurm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This cheatmod makes a spyglass avaible for everyone not just the choosen ones. Xyp i dont understand whats your proplem? There are much worse cheatmods around than the mods of sindusk so calm down and relax, its just a Game ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Biervampyr said:

This cheatmod makes a spyglass avaible for everyone not just the choosen ones. Xyp i dont understand whats your proplem? There are much worse cheatmods around than the mods of sindusk so calm down and relax, its just a Game ;) 

chosen ones? these things are so common and cheap these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Biervampyr said:

This cheatmod makes a spyglass avaible for everyone not just the choosen ones. Xyp i dont understand whats your proplem? There are much worse cheatmods around than the mods of sindusk so calm down and relax, its just a Game ;) 

 

It is a game that every player on a server should have the same experience based on that servers setup. Too much is doable by the client with no way for the server to switch it on and off. Allowing these things to be posted here just exaggerates the issue. So now no need for spyglass at all, no need for compass at all, no market for high ql compasses, no market for toolbelts (which is a bdew mod). It is getting out of hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer the open posting of the client side mods like this. Otherwise we have what happened with Bearmods. In that case only a very small group of players had access to the mods and therefore they experienced a strong advantage over other players who didn't know about them and/or have access to them.

 

I do agree that it would be nice if WU had a mechanism that securely enforced what is loaded on the client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xyp said:

So now no need for spyglass at all, no need for compass at all, no market for high ql compasses, no market for toolbelts (which is a bdew mod). It is getting out of hand.

 

All relatively benign modifications that apparently can be added client side and remove control from the server owner of preventing their use, which no doubt is the bigger issue to some as yourself (lack of total control). Although I agree that if a server owner doesn't want these types of easier assists to playing the game they should be able to remove them. Then those that prefer using them could just move on to other servers that more suit their enjoyment, which of course many do so already.

 

=Ayes=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayes that is the point entirely. Server owners need to be able to provide a gameplay experience that is the same for all players, without it being so easy for people to just do whatever the heck the want from the client side. This makes it exclude the players who do not have the technical skills to set up the mod loader and install mods, and takes control of the gameplay experience away from the server owners. If people want such a custom experience to where (doubtful) they can not find a server that has the experience they want, then they should be making their own server, not modding the game by themselves in a way that is not provided by the server they choose to play on.

 

There will always be cheaters, but a select few (that usually end up caught) is better than a mass flock.

 

There is room for different kinds of servers, just like you have the 100x+ skill servers, doing pretty well, you have moderate-mid speed servers between 5 and 10x speed doing well, and you even have that one 0.1x speed server and it is doing well. Not all players want this easy stuff, and for the servers that do not want the easy stuff it needs to be in our control.\

 

It is not so benign when it takes away from crafters that want to make and sell compasses, toolbelts etc.

Edited by Xyp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Xyp said:

There will always be cheaters, but a select few (that usually end up caught) is better than a mass flock.

I understand where you're coming from and I actually somewhat agree. I would much rather have these mods not able to be made in the first place. If there was heavily enforced anti-cheat by using server-side checks instead of allowing the client to do whatever it wants, that would be better for everyone. However, all of the last 3 mods I've released have been roughly 1-3 lines of actual code "changed." I added a bit more to this so it could be toggled, yes, but in reality, the Cave Vision mod is literally "brightness = 0.4" to "brightness = 1.0". Free compass is literally just changing "setQL" in compass to just say "100" instead of the other calculations it does. This is just changing "if player has spyglass" to "if player has command enabled."

 

There is way, way, way worse modding that could be done. I'd be lying if I said I didn't make a few of said mods. But that doesn't mean I'm going to release them. Sure, I could give everyone a fly hack so they type a command and get to fly like GM's. I would never even think of giving that to anybody because of the epic meltdown of Wurm Unlimited it would cause. I wouldn't dare ever use it, either. Every server without a counter to it would be devastated. PvP servers would cease to function.

 

My current mods are the most minor of changes with the smallest of impacts. They don't give a huge edge to anyone, simply removes inconveniences. If you want to make me out to be the bad guy, that's fine. You're welcome to call me the devil and curse my name. Just consider that if it wasn't me, it could be someone else. And chances are, that someone else might have much less of a filter with what they decide to release as they comb through the client code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such thing as cheat mod. Or maybe every single client side mod is a cheat mod.

 

I for one am happy that players have the freedom to do whatever with their clients and servers, that's the main reason why i left WO for WU.

 

Moreover, most servers don't have spyglasses available, and those that do often sell them in cash shops (###### that!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freedom for players to control their experiences is more important than server owners ability to limit access to things they don't personally like.

 

Cheat mods don't exists.  I wonder what you some of you'll think if I ever get around to making a .dll (there are programs you can convert a Java jar to a .dll) hook so scripting programs can directly interface with the client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The term "Cheat mod" is all context based. If you are playing on a PVP server and the goal of the server is for all players to have a fair playing experience then anyone who uses a mod/exploit/process/secret trick that is not available to all other players on the server equally is cheating by doing so. The cheating player is essentially gaining an unfair advantage over the other players who are playing within the rules of the server. The server has set the rules in order to give players a fun experience.

 

The actual mod etc isn't a cheat. It's the human decision to use such a mod that is a cheat.

 

I also believe that having the ability/option to change the default WO playing experience is essential and important so in no way do I object to the fact that the mods are possible and/or exist. 

 

The problem I personally have is that when I host a PVP server I am interested in trying to have as fair an experience for all players as possible. Due to the lack of tools in the server side code to control what the client can do it is very difficult to do this properly. On DesolationV3 we created an anti-cheat that was successful in terms of what it was attempting to control. This was largely limited to controlling what the server distributed to the client (datafeed) and configuring the game in such a way that specific client controlled advantages went away (a good example of this was reducing local to 40 so that all players would be in visual range at the same time, largely removing the early warning advantage that the bearmods used to provide).

 

I've always been a big supporter of changing the Wurm experience to take it far beyond what is possible/available today. At the same time I really want to offer some challenging and solid PVP experiences. To do that requires more server side control.

 

~Nappy

 

P.S. Spyglasses etc are usually playtime awards on my servers. As players reach a certain amount of actual playtime they receive special items like spyglasses, summer hats etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2016 at 5:43 PM, bdew said:

There is no such thing as cheat mod. Or maybe every single client side mod is a cheat mod.

 

I for one am happy that players have the freedom to do whatever with their clients and servers, that's the main reason why i left WO for WU.

 

Moreover, most servers don't have spyglasses available, and those that do often sell them in cash shops (###### that!).

Or the cash shop allows everything to be purchased with in game silver as an alternative. The experience should be controlled by the player IF THE PLAYER CHOOSES TO PLAY ON THEIR OWN SERVER THEY CREATE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple removing of things you feel are minor, have an impact on things that players can choose to craft, or work hard for. Good compasses is not an easy thing to craft due to waiting on olive season and other factors. Spyglasses on my server if purchased with silver is an 80s item, that is a lot of bounty hunting. Removing these things takes away from the work to get these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Xyp said:

Or the cash shop allows everything to be purchased with in game silver as an alternative. The experience should be controlled by the player IF THE PLAYER CHOOSES TO PLAY ON THEIR OWN SERVER THEY CREATE.

 

imho your method of cash-shop is a perfect example of cheating your players, its exactly how WoW private servers operate concerning donations and its inherently scummy

 

you're honestly just mad because mods like this destroy your exploitation of your players and their money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Huntar said:

 

imho your method of cash-shop is a perfect example of cheating your players, its exactly how WoW private servers operate concerning donations and its inherently scummy

 

you're honestly just mad because mods like this destroy your exploitation of your players and their money

Everything in my shop can be purchased with in game silver, which can be earned via hunting and the normal botanize etc system. I had one player report earning over 9s in 3 hours the other day. You don't HAVE to pay any money it is an OPTION to support the continued operation of the server. I don't even get time to play on my own server due to supporting it and modding for it, so how am I exploiting anyone? No matter what they want they can earn silver in game, place the order on the shop, and use the Pay with in game silver checkout option, which just replaced the COD payment method. When delivered the player pays silver for the items. Many shop rewards are also used as event rewards for players that participate and win events in game.

 

You just want to play on other peoples servers, free, using their money for hosting the server, and do what you want, exploit and cheat your way around without following their setup.

Edited by Xyp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im glad that i can choose my prefered server and it's not yours Xyp... 

and back to topic: mod is working good - like it so thumbs up

 

Edited by noermel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Xyp said:

Everything in my shop can be purchased with in game silver, which can be earned via hunting and the normal botanize etc system. I had one player report earning over 9s in 3 hours the other day. You don't HAVE to pay any money it is an OPTION to support the continued operation of the server. I don't even get time to play on my own server due to supporting it and modding for it, so how am I exploiting anyone? No matter what they want they can earn silver in game, place the order on the shop, and use the Pay with in game silver checkout option, which just replaced the COD payment method. When delivered the player pays silver for the items. Many shop rewards are also used as event rewards for players that participate and win events in game.

I highly suggest you put this in a place on your site to show that the option is available. Perhaps instead of just showing dollar amounts, show the dollar amount and silver amount side by side.

 

Back on topic, I'm considering adding in a way to use a console command to get the "spyglass zoom" effect. Would then be able to be bound to a key, which you could use to toggle on/off the zoom. Thoughts?

Edited by Sindusk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Back on topic, I'm considering adding in a way to use a console command to get the "spyglass zoom" effect. Would then be able to be bound to a key, which you could use to toggle on/off the zoom. Thoughts?

 

yes please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*deleting spyglasses from my event gifts*

anytime events are useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesnt zoom, i just gives distance. not that big of a deal? What would people even use it for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MootRed said:

It doesnt zoom, i just gives distance. not that big of a deal? What would people even use it for?

Archery. Lining up catapults. Knowing tile distances.

Edited by Sindusk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated with ability to zoom in. This is now functions identically to the in-game spyglass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2016 at 4:07 PM, Sindusk said:

Archery. Lining up catapults. Knowing tile distances.

 

So it's a simple matter of knowing when someone is shooting further than they actually can, and then promptly banning them from server for use of your terrible mods.

Anyone who cheats in online, multiplayer games ... may convince themselves they are winning the game, but they are losing IRL! Just like the kids who pay their way through college and pay others to write their essays and do their work and when they get that job for that degree they paid for (instead of earned), they can't do it and their lives fail miserably! Oh well, guess that's just the way of the world...and the human species. Take the easiest path, right off a cliff.

Edited by Roushi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 6:09 PM, Roushi said:

Just like the kids who pay their way through college and pay others to write their essays and do their work and when they get that job for that degree they paid for (instead of earned), they can't do it and their lives fail miserably! Oh well, guess that's just the way of the world...and the human species. Take the easiest path, right off a cliff.

A more accurate example is the kid in college who writes a bot to write his essays for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now