bump

Also +1 to change this

As well thank you @Retrograde

Edited by necroe
forgot my +1 and thank you :P

1 minute ago, necroe said:

bump

Beat me to it thank you @Retrogradefor pointing me here

I also would like to add my +1 for the push to go away from byte storage for ceiling height as it would be amazing if we could have higher ceilings(giant caverns under deeds? yes please)

• Like 2

Changing my mind after two years (and still no scaffolldings :P ) Absolutely +1 !

Yes please consider replacing that poor byte to a double. Let us be amazed with all the weird bugs happening from that, mine related visual bugs are always feel like strange and evil art to me.

TLDR and for protests: Make mine heights great again! Double the byte! 

• Like 1

As bdew explained, increasing the height limit would add a huge amount of memory consumption by the layer, so it's not likely to happen anytime soon. 

On 6/30/2016 at 11:56 AM, Jaz said:

Height is fine for me. But add means of scaffolding please ...

This!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 11:56 AM, Jaz said:

Height is fine for me. But add means of scaffolding please ...

12 hours ago, kochinac said:

This!

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As bdew explained, increasing the height limit would add a huge amount of memory consumption by the layer, so it's not likely to happen anytime soon. 

Ok then.... I can accept limitations and happy to revert to my original post :P

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:56 AM, Jaz said:

But add means of scaffolding please ...

You should start your own thread for this idea. It seems to be a good suggestion to me.

Bump. At least let us roof houses underground. It's ugly as hell not having a roof in my cave. What if it rains? 

1 hour ago, TeeeBOMB said:

You should start your own thread for this idea. It seems to be a good suggestion to me.

I did years ago :P

also: bump!

Edited by Jaz

On 04/09/2016 at 10:40, bdew said:

Not when you need to hold a huge map in memory. Currently wurm uses 5 "layers" for the map, each holding a 32 bit (4 byte) value for a total of 20 bytes per tile. That's ~1.3GB of RAM for a xanadu-sized server, and that's before any overhead.

There are a couple unused bytes in that, but they are probably reserved for some other future use (like dynamic water level, if that ever becomes a thing).

Just throwing this up but does the wurm client load all the layers of the entire map or is this done on the server while the client holds information in a certain radius around the player. If the entire map only needs to be loaded in on the server that shouldn't be an argument to not increase the size for such a variable in my opinion. 

On 5/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, amorfides said:

Just throwing this up but does the wurm client load all the layers of the entire map or is this done on the server while the client holds information in a certain radius around the player. If the entire map only needs to be loaded in on the server that shouldn't be an argument to not increase the size for such a variable in my opinion. 

The server loads it all, the client doesn't care. 

This is about server memory usage not about the client, so don't worry! 

• Like 1