Sign in to follow this  
Pashka

Fountain pan Replacements

Wow, this thread is still going?

The plain facts:

• The items were the result of a bug that was fixed
  • The devs are attempting to remove bugged items from the game
  • The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return
  • The only people to lose out are merchants who can no longer sell a unique service, this is NOT a unique occurrence as we've seen player deities strip the enchanting market down to nothing as well
  • People who invested in a fountainpan want to recoup their loss in some way

The solution optoins:

• CC could just make them turn into a 1,5 or 10 silver coin when they decay (randomness for the win) and the compensation seekers will be happy.
  • CC could stick to their guns and let the bugged items decay away, this is likely to be met with respect from the playerbase who do not own fountainpans but who have been hit by an unrepaid nerf in the past.
  • CC could spend time and energy coming up with a new concept (that is obtainable by everyone) that works like a fountain pan, essentially turning a bug into a rare feature (might make a good high tier rift reward).  This solution is likely to be welcomed by all sides.
  • CC could have them decay into some kind of token "memory of a fountainpan" or something like it for those who kept them for the "prestige" of owning a historical item.

• Like 1

This is insane, there have been fountain backpacks/pans for many years and now all of a sudden they're removing them?!

I don't think they can replace them by anothing else than gold coins since nothing has the ability to store items and liquid like they could..

Devs, please! Don't take away our fountain pans/backpacks!

Or atleast give us money in replacement!

Edited by Guzten

48 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Wow, this thread is still going?

The plain facts:

• The items were the result of a bug that was fixed   Bug is fixed, no need to bother them then right?
  • The devs are attempting to remove bugged items from the game  Good luck, the whole game is bugged.
  • The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return  Please explain this, I can't think of a single item that works like a fountain pan, pack, or satchel.
  • The only people to lose out are merchants who can no longer sell a unique service, this is NOT a unique occurrence as we've seen player deities strip the enchanting market down to nothing as well  I don't see what this has to do with fountain containers.
  • People who invested in a fountainpan want to recoup their loss in some way  Exactly, I did not spend any money on my pack, but I had the idea that I would be using this my entire time playing this game.

The solution optoins:

• CC could just make them turn into a 1,5 or 10 silver coin when they decay (randomness for the win) and the compensation seekers will be happy.   That's a petty amount for how useful these are.
  • CC could stick to their guns and let the bugged items decay away, this is likely to be met with respect from the playerbase who do not own fountainpans but who have been hit by an unrepaid nerf in the past.  'Eye for an Eye' when it's the same players eyes?
  • CC could spend time and energy coming up with a new concept (that is obtainable by everyone) that works like a fountain pan, essentially turning a bug into a rare feature (might make a good high tier rift reward).  This solution is likely to be welcomed by all sides.  But you just said earlier "The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return". I still have not seen such items.
  • CC could have them decay into some kind of token "memory of a fountainpan" or something like it for those who kept them for the "prestige" of owning a historical item.  Yes, memory off how much CC pissed of a chunk of the playerbase yet again.

Edited by Kswords
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Guzten said:

This is insane, there have been fountain backpacks/pans for many years and now all of a sudden they're removing them?!

I don't think they can replace them by anothing else than gold coins since nothing has the ability to store items and liquid like they could..

Devs, please! Don't take away our fountain pans/backpacks!

Or atleast give us money in replacement!

They told us about a year ago, this is definitely not "all of a sudden"

16 minutes ago, Kswords said:
  • The items were the result of a bug that was fixed   Bug is fixed, no need to bother them then right? So let all bugs stay as long as they benefit?
  • The devs are attempting to remove bugged items from the game  Good luck, the whole game is bugged. Oh but only the bad bugs, right? The good bugs need to stay or theyre ruining the game!
  • The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return  Please explain this, I can't think of a single item that works like a fountain pan, pack, or satchel. Amphoras and large barrels replace the functionality that fountain pans were allowed to remain for.
  • The only people to lose out are merchants who can no longer sell a unique service, this is NOT a unique occurrence as we've seen player deities strip the enchanting market down to nothing as well  I don't see what this has to do with fountain containers. Agree with this
  • People who invested in a fountainpan want to recoup their loss in some way  Exactly, I did not spend any money on my pack, but I had the idea that I would be using this my entire time playing this game. Seven years for spending 5 minutes exploiting a bug, not too shabby hey?

The solution optoins:

• CC could just make them turn into a 1,5 or 10 silver coin when they decay (randomness for the win) and the compensation seekers will be happy.   That's a petty amount for how useful these are. You did not spend a cent
  • CC could stick to their guns and let the bugged items decay away, this is likely to be met with respect from the playerbase who do not own fountainpans but who have been hit by an unrepaid nerf in the past.  'Eye for an Eye' when it's the same players eyes? Legacy items are one thing, old exploits are another, believe it or not a large amount of players just see a few complaining about an exploited item they had a years notice about it being removed
  • CC could spend time and energy coming up with a new concept (that is obtainable by everyone) that works like a fountain pan, essentially turning a bug into a rare feature (might make a good high tier rift reward).  This solution is likely to be welcomed by all sides.  But you just said earlier "The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return". I still have not seen such items. Amphoras, large barrels. The whole tardis decay effect is an exploit.
  • CC could have them decay into some kind of token "memory of a fountainpan" or something like it for those who kept them for the "prestige" of owning a historical item.  Yes, memory off how much CC pissed of a chunk of the playerbase yet again. a tiny loud chunk that needs to learn the game does not cater to their whims, just because you're loud doesn't mean you'll get your way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeeD said:

The items were the result of a bug that was fixed   Bug is fixed, no need to bother them then right? So let all bugs stay as long as they benefit?

There is similar case from recent history. The bsb imping bug, where you could throw items into bin and take them out until it requires your favorite tool. Many people got their carving knife skills up this way. Bug was fixed, but the knife skills(the benefits from the bug) were left untouched. I just hope none of the triggerhappy devs doesn't go now and reset everyones carving knife skills after reading this.

My point is, there have been so many windows of opportunities in Wurm. And fountain pan counts as that. Yes, it is unfair to the people(but hey, same unfair is the fact, that the new guys won't ever get also santa hat nor garden gnomes), who weren't present at the time, but I think that is sort of long term customer reward - benefits from being long term customer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SeeD said:
  • The items were the result of a bug that was fixed   Bug is fixed, no need to bother them then right? So let all bugs stay as long as they benefit?  I see no harm being done, it's not breaking the game is it?
  • The devs are attempting to remove bugged items from the game  Good luck, the whole game is bugged. Oh but only the bad bugs, right? The good bugs need to stay or theyre ruining the game!  Of course.
  • The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return  Please explain this, I can't think of a single item that works like a fountain pan, pack, or satchel. Amphoras and large barrels replace the functionality that fountain pans were allowed to remain for.  Large barrels have been in the game since I can remember. Amphoras are good for storing liquids? I use mine for storing more than liquids.
  • The only people to lose out are merchants who can no longer sell a unique service, this is NOT a unique occurrence as we've seen player deities strip the enchanting market down to nothing as well  I don't see what this has to do with fountain containers. Agree with this
  • People who invested in a fountainpan want to recoup their loss in some way  Exactly, I did not spend any money on my pack, but I had the idea that I would be using this my entire time playing this game. Seven years for spending 5 minutes exploiting a bug, not too shabby hey? I didn't do the exploiting, I aquired mine after a raid on Chaos.

The solution optoins:

• CC could just make them turn into a 1,5 or 10 silver coin when they decay (randomness for the win) and the compensation seekers will be happy.   That's a petty amount for how useful these are. You did not spend a cent  Anyone could point that out. I've seen these packs go for more than 10s before the timer was put on them though.
  • CC could stick to their guns and let the bugged items decay away, this is likely to be met with respect from the playerbase who do not own fountainpans but who have been hit by an unrepaid nerf in the past.  'Eye for an Eye' when it's the same players eyes? Legacy items are one thing, old exploits are another, believe it or not a large amount of players just see a few complaining about an exploited item they had a years notice about it being removed   Years notice?
  • CC could spend time and energy coming up with a new concept (that is obtainable by everyone) that works like a fountain pan, essentially turning a bug into a rare feature (might make a good high tier rift reward).  This solution is likely to be welcomed by all sides.  But you just said earlier "The devs have given us a much more functional set of items in return". I still have not seen such items. Amphoras, large barrels. The whole tardis decay effect is an exploit.  It's not an infinite hole and there is decay on items if you can't store them inside an SM/LMC. Heck, there was even decay on the fountain itself!
  • CC could have them decay into some kind of token "memory of a fountainpan" or something like it for those who kept them for the "prestige" of owning a historical item.  Yes, memory off how much CC pissed of a chunk of the playerbase yet again. a tiny loud chunk that needs to learn the game does not cater to their whims, just because you're loud doesn't mean you'll get your way.   "Learn the game" I've been playing this for about 8 years now.

• Like 1

"Learn the game does not cater to their whims" not "learn the game"

Fact is, seven years ago when these items were allowed t stay the game was incredibly different, and had a much smaller playerbase.

Times change, mechanics change, what was allowed when it was a tiny indie startup may not be allowed as it moves towards being a much bigger game.

Half the problem with this game is the attitude on the forums, If I had seen these forums before playing, I wouldn't want to invest my time and/or money in it, you all need to shape up

34 minutes ago, SeeD said:

and had a much smaller playerbase.

Incorrect. Wurm hit 3k prem players in 2010(?). Wurm atm has 2.9k prem players.

Just sayin ;)

• Like 4

2.9K Premium Accounts, not necessarily Players. No way to know for certain how many Players are actually left playing now and how large the "Alt Army" contingent is as compared to 2010. I seriously doubt any MMO can survive let alone prosper with Alt Armies as a majority of the accounts.... MMOs are comprised of People, not just accounts.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SeeD said:

Fact is, seven years ago when these items were allowed t stay the game was incredibly different, and had a much smaller playerbase.

No not really, it was the same game. The fountains where deamed a legacy item, a feature, not a bug, by the devs. Hence so many inventsments in them. Something in the line of the bug/feature topic going on these days. That is why those of us who had them, believed they where going to stay, as a feature. And still expect we get to keep that feature. There was one big difference though. when the Head GM deamed something a bug or feature, it was considered that, due to lack of Dev resourses.

Times change, mechanics change, what was allowed when it was a tiny indie startup may not be allowed as it moves towards being a much bigger game.

Yeah, no, Wurm hasnt really moved anywhere like that, it has developed alot yes, but moved, no, not really.

Half the problem with this game is the attitude on the forums, If I had seen these forums before playing, I wouldn't want to invest my time and/or money in it, you all need to shape up

inconsistency in the communication from the devs to the players is what causes this. Do not blame the players for carring so much for the game they have an oppinion about whats good and bad. For instance in the newsupdate there was a nerf introduced with the cooking update. the way that was communicated, everything ended being all about the nerf, not about the hard work that had been put into the cooking thing. do not blame that on the players. some one some where in that post explained it very well.

Edited by Mith
  • Like 6

Fountain pans are dank. Stop my stuff from needlessly decaying while stored ondeed and I won't need the damn thing!

Edited by Toolhead
  • Like 11

Want to know what drives people from a game?

leaving players in the dark for a year on what will happen to their valuable possessions with no updates on what will happen.

• Like 3

need a place to store liquids without decay, going to loose a lot of maple sap, milk, dyes because of lack of fountain pans

• Like 4

Good thing i have 100 used-to-be-prem alts where i can store my items after those fountains dissapear.

• Like 3

The fact of the matter is that its done and dusted, like wrapping pelts, the arrow imping trick and fo battery healers.  It's gone, QoL has dropped and the game has become harder.

Instead of pushing towards the past why not go to the suggestions forum and push for some changes that would replace what is lost and benefit everyone?  No decay on deeds seems like a good start!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niki said:

need a place to store liquids without decay, going to loose a lot of maple sap, milk, dyes because of lack of fountain pans

Fairly sure Amphoras do that. If not, they seriously reduce the decay as far as I know.

4 hours ago, whykillme said:

Good thing i have 100 used-to-be-prem alts where i can store my items after those fountains dissapear.

How long until they make the mistake and deem this as abuse to avoid decay and turn Wurm premium characters only? They are on a roll with bad decisions so don't put it past them.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

Fairly sure Amphoras do that. If not, they seriously reduce the decay as far as I know.

Tried it a while ago when I asked for an alternative to store liquids in when the source rifts would go *poof*, the answer was amphoras, so I went ingame, filled up a small amphora with cowmilk from my source rift, and rather unpleasant was my surprise when on day 2 it already took a decay hit.

Was only one amphora, but was enough for me to put the milk back in the source rift.

I still hope for something to store liquids decay-free a bit longer, I could make it my daily routine resetting the decay on 30-ish small barrels worth of liquid, but I'd rather make it a weekly-routine.

(bsb's dont take 5% decay hit when deeds has over 30days upkeep. Why not make it so, that nothing decays on deed when the upkeep is 150days or something)

• Like 1

Heard from codediggers amphoras provide the same decay protection as cedar. Saw no proofs, just saying.

2 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Heard from codediggers amphoras provide the same decay protection as cedar. Saw no proofs, just saying.

So it's the same as putting it in a large barrel?

Wow... how useless

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kswords said:

So it's the same as putting it in a large barrel?

Wow... how useless

Retrograde confirmed on the forums that this was the case for amphorae, which is what got me looking into the code and noticing the effect of cedar.

That said, Retrograde has also mentioned on IRC that the decay protection from cedar will probably be changed or removed in the near future, although with amphorae it's definitely an intended feature.

I've bought one after seeing the items in game for years. Although the  purpose i needed it for is covered by the amphoras I still see myself losing money due to devs being lazy to fix a bug stated having serious effect on the game and code for long years. 

Decisions like this and hellhorses thankfully spares me spending rl money on subs, now a max 1 of the 5 are prem at a time. I'm waiting to see if there will be a roadmap provided to us in the future instead of changes that translate as hectic ideas to the players (altgough I still believe in the unlikely contheo that there is a hidden big picture behind those)

Edited by Jaz

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Retrograde confirmed on the forums that this was the case for amphorae, which is what got me looking into the code and noticing the effect of cedar.

That said, Retrograde has also mentioned on IRC that the decay protection from cedar will probably be changed or removed in the near future, although with amphorae it's definitely an intended feature.

did he say that cedar only was being targeted or are all the wood bonuses being looked at?

if only cedar then a more sensible thing would be to bump up the amphora protection so its better than cedar rather than yet another nerf. Sends a more positive message to the player base.