Sign in to follow this  
Aum

Wurm Unlimited VR client

so i got a vive recently and vr is super fun with motion controllers

ended up reading a bit about VR and Java and it seems theres some wrapper code out there and a few vr programs run in java

now you cant really spend hours with the headset on but i still find myself wanting to dig in wurm with a shovel attached to motion controllers or craft something by smooshing the items together in my hands

just wondering if its even possible or if we are talking apples and oranges with 3d vs 2d environments

and if any moders got a vive? :P

discuss.

post links etc.

I'm willing to work on it if someone wants to donate me a development kit :P

On a more serious note...

Making it render for VR should be easy enough. It will require basically rendering everything twice, so more load and less FPS.

Stuff like digging would require somehow using controller input to animate your character, i haven't really looked at how character animations are done, this could end up being either very easy or a total pain in the arse.

Movement is another problem. Controlling movement with a controller seems to give many people motion (or simulation) sickness - basically your eyes say you are moving, while your inner ear saying you aren't - brain gets confused and decides to puke. Current VR are games mostly solve it by either using some kind of teleportation gimmick (that's what they are planning for Fallout4 VR for example) or letting you actually walk around but that requires very specific map design that fits the available RL space - and would not be practical for an open world game like wurm.

Someone I know had managed to get the head movement to work with WU, I have no idea how though.

4 hours ago, bdew said:

or letting you actually walk around but that requires very specific map design that fits the available RL space - and would not be practical for an open world game like wurm.

Could you imagine a wu map of an area of your national forrest edited to be surrounded by water. Go out in the woods and play wurm. Wonder how the park rangers would feel about you digging the forrest flat hahaha.

• Like 1

teleporting is a must yeah, first time i tried to walk while i had the headset on i was like this is fine no problem ill just walk up the stairs... BARFFFF

but i have played a few other open world games, and it would work fine with wurm unlimited.  theres another game i just got called valiant, havent loaded it up yet but you are on horseback and its much like mount and blade style combat but with motion controllers, ill report back when i try it.

you could remove the char model all together and not worry about animations.  i think most important part is being able to pick stuff and have it placed in the controller such as the shovel and then make the end of the shovel do stuff like dig and pack with certain motions and it coming into contact with terrain.  i think that will be most challenging as its kindof a 2d space and vr is very 3d space, but something might be able to be worked out :P

On 28/06/2016 at 9:30 PM, bdew said:

Making it render for VR should be easy enough. It will require basically rendering everything twice, so more load and less FPS.

Well I am getting between 90 and 100 FPS now so a loss of 50% or 60% isn't a biggie for me. Most players are getting a reasonable FPS right now since the graphics are quite dated now.

I have a Vive, and a few others of us that work on Wurm also have Vives - I haven't started anything yet, but it is on my radar for the future. I'm mostly waiting for the proper OpenVR support in LWJGL 3 (and we have to switch over to LWJGL3 first too).

Haven't really thought about adapting it for room scale yet, my first goal will likely be to get a seated experience working with current keyboard and mouse controls. The main problem I see with adapting it for room scale would be the UI - which if you've seen the UI code in the client, you know it's a bit of a task fixing that up for any reason, let alone VR.

Getting around the animation issue shouldn't be a problem, if first person view is an issue with VR I could see us moving the VR view to a 3rd person view of your character.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, Aum said:

now you cant really spend hours with the headset on but i still find myself wanting to dig in wurm with a shovel attached to motion controllers or craft something by smooshing the items together in my hands

Here is the thing that I find undesirable about these VR thing-a-ma-jigs. You must move your body parts around to use them to full effect. When I am at my computer playing Wurm or other online games I am sitting comfortably, reclined slightly and only moving my fingers as little as possible to accomplish what I want to do. In no way do I view playing or working on the computer as exercise since there are far better methods to achieve that end. The less movement the better is my preference, as well as having my head unencumbered with any foreign objects.

The only VR I could get into would be totally controlled by ones mind through which one could enter inside these other "worlds". VR has a long way to go to get to this point and anything short of this is just laughable gimmickry designed to sell their products. Junk, I tell ya!

=Ayes=  

anything new about vr?

I wouldnt care much, if theres no motion controller support or something like teleporting for walking.

Anyone already was successful in using vorpx for wurm?

oops, i didnt saw that it is a WU thread. Iam asking for VR Support for WO

Edited by zeeph

2 hours ago, zeeph said:

anything new about vr?

I wouldnt care much, if theres no motion controller support or something like teleporting for walking.

Anyone already was successful in using vorpx for wurm?

oops, i didnt saw that it is a WU thread. Iam asking for VR Support for WO

I doubt that anything like that is even planned. VR support is not likely to come to Wurm in the next years.

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

I doubt that anything like that is even planned. VR support is not likely to come to Wurm in the next years.

Must....not....take....bait

• Like 1

Wouldn't the current timer-system defeat the point of most VR actions?

Unless of course you have very short dig timers etc, you'll be finished 'digging irl' then just have to sit and watch the timer.

If the devs were feeling particularly cruel, you could always make it so you had to keep digging irl or your timer would stop before the action completes. :D

5 hours ago, Budda said:

Must....not....take....bait

There will be no new client based on the Unity or Unreal Engine in the next years.

Take bait .... take bait!!!!!!!!!!

On ‎02‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 9:54 AM, Budda said:

I haven't started anything yet

That might be still the case here. :(

Wonder how you would right click with a VR headset ?

• Like 1

I've tried wurm through Guy Godin's Virtual Desktop, although it wasn't a true VR environment, it gave me a very good  idea of what it'd be like if it was.
i can't imagine that grinding would be much fun but the potential for strolling about, admiring the game and your creations.. is begging for it.
The control mechanisms are doable on the touch controllers, I can't speak for the Vive.

Boy I would love to walk around and immerse myself in the environment