Sign in to follow this  
SugarFoxx

Aged Horse dead??? Not pregnant and on enchanted grass on deed.

Today I discovered that one of my fairly new females were dead in a pen of enchanted grass, marked Aged, no fat tags.. and it definitely wasn't pregnant as I haven't been breeding. I am currently fostering a friend's horses but my deed ratio sits comfortably at 21.8... Any ideas? Suggestions.. have you seen this before?

yup, happened to me as well the other week. i have noticed a random sex change for bisons.

2 hours ago, SugarFoxx said:

Today I discovered that one of my fairly new females were dead in a pen of enchanted grass, marked Aged, no fat tags.. and it definitely wasn't pregnant as I haven't been breeding. I am currently fostering a friend's horses but my deed ratio sits comfortably at 21.8... Any ideas? Suggestions.. have you seen this before?

Are you sure it was enchanted grass, and not trees?

Was it possibly diseased, or had bad traits? What is your Animal Husbandry skill?

By no fat tags, does that mean the name did not have 'fat' in it?  Fat in wurm is good.

Also, in CA Help you indicated that the horse was pregnant.

There are a few things with animals, especially pregnant ones - they eat way more than when not pregnant.  

There are also deed ratio considerations.  While your deed ratio may be good at this moment - if it's close to the 15% it can dip under if you have visitors who bring their animals on deed or you have an influx of wild animals in your mine on your deed, etc.

A pregnant animal can either miscarry and/or die itself during childbirth.  Animals not eating or grazing properly can also die - this is something we don't see easily.

There are many things that can account for an animal dying - there is always a reason - we just don't always 'see' what it is.

I try to keep my deed ratio well above the 15 - to account for visitors, births, wild animal visitors and unexplained aliens.  I also keep my breeders on regular grass and often feed them by hand to see if they are hungry while pregnant.

Might also have been that the horse had the "corrupted" trait. Some horses seem to get this at birth/spawn (at least in the past) and it means that they eat mycelium instead of grass. This might also explain why it had no fat tag even though it was on grass (a regular horse should get the fat tag in a few days at the most if it is on enchanted grass and can eat). Just for the record; if you ever encounter a "corrupted" horse, let a (white light) priest bless it and it will remove this trait.