Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Reduce the distortion of land, roads and structures by rifts

Since their introduction to Wurm "Rifts" appear frequently on the Freedom isles. When they do they not only spawn "alien structures" (crystals, columns, trees...), but they also deform and disfigure the landscape considerably. They create mounds, hills and even "spikes" with 20+ slopes. This not only occurs somewhere out in the wild, in the middle of nowhere, but also in developed and populated areas, even close to deeds. What is worse: the distortion also destroys roads, highways and even off-deed buildings.

NrMaUFq.jpg

Btj3drX.jpg

Please change the rift mechanics so that the disfigurement of the landscape is minimized, and keep them away from highways, roads and user-built structures. Also: let the alien structures decay more rapidly.

(At the current high spawn rate, it will only be a matter of time until our servers will turn into strange alien landscapes...)

• Like 16

I love what it does to the terrain... BUT as you said, its not good for it to be happening so close to deeds and popping bridges.

I do like that it messes up the roads because it seems like the community should fix the damage done by the "evil rifts" that are invading. BUT At the current spawn rate it seems a bit tedious.

• Like 2

I don't think changing the terrain is needed or even adds anything. Would be better to just remove it.

*Edit: for clarity I mean the pointless dips and spikes, removing the trees and grass is fine.

• Like 8

While the terrain distortion is quite cool in theory, given the damage to structured, bridges, roads etc, and the frequency of rifts, it feels better removed.  Trees and grass are fine, as they grow back all on their own anyway.

• Like 2

Damaging 2 lane highways is against the rules. Someone needs to be punished.

• Like 3

Huge +1

Some damage to our longhouses here, caused by a rift.

VYboqLQ.png

P7g8cLZ.png

• Like 2

I have never been to one of these Rift events but from the start seeing pics that players have posted of the resulting distorted lands, I am quite disappointed that another player griefing mechanic has been introduced into the game with the god of Wurm's approval. Reminiscent of the tunneling cave bugs of some years ago that were thought to be another cool idea somehow. Same mindset exhibited with this "interesting" effect, that of course those who like to see trashed landscapes that other players have spent their time transforming will approve of. Saves them time griefing other players work and they can't be blamed for the results. Wonderful!

How game Developers who craft a game designed on the basis of players spending their time to beautify and transform the lands can then introduce a mechanic that destroys this work is beyond my comprehension as being a positive addition to the game. Please find other ways outside of the game to mock others for spending time doing what you would not choose to by destroying their work. This land destruction mechanic is really an insult to them. Not too bright really, I have to say, unless you get your kicks from ruining what others have created thus causing them distress.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

First two rifts corrupted area not far behind my deed. Former close to virgin forest was turned into moon landscape. Grass is back now, but still there are holes and spikes ... and that special rift decorations.

I warned, it will be problem in long term view. That servers will be slowly covered with such corrupted areas destroying everything. Nobody was listening, so now suffer ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SmeJack said:

removing the trees and grass is fine

trees (olives) and grass is fine, but when tundra will be hit (only a matter of time) we will have no proper way to fix it. So please, do take that in consideration with the incredible amount of destructions those rifts do.

• Like 3

When a rift closes, all decorations should be gone within a week max imo, that way the landscape can return to what it was. As I've traveled around it's easy to tell where the rifts were because of weird terraforming and rift items.

• Like 4

All +/- 20 spikes and dips can just stop. Along with any damage to buildings. 

Please make it stop. 

• Like 1

Before

SbRL2Cv.jpg

After

omJH2lF.jpg

It actually improved the slope of the road, and one hour after the rift we had repaired all the damage done.

I don't mind the craziness of the damage done, but if it pops by a deed and affects building and blows out bridges, that is kinda sucky. I do love those topsy turvy longhouses though, I would call that a unique feature. ^_^

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I don't mind the craziness of the damage done, but if it pops by a deed and affects building and blows out bridges, that is kinda sucky. I do love those topsy turvy longhouses though, I would call that a unique feature. ^_^

They are certainly unique!

Not quite as fun when, to repair them, that'll be about 40 walls to rebuild and imp all the way back up.

• Like 2

Did you try adding a second floor with the angles like that?

I love the rift events, but I hate what they do the landscape.  I would love it if the landscape and features would revert to their previous state once the rift is closed.  I'm not sure how difficult that would be to program into the game mechanics, though.

13 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Did you try adding a second floor with the angles like that?

Not yet, but something's telling me it won't be possible.

I think If it's anything like the Valrei Lasers though, it'll make the floors quite wonky. (From my memories of the last time one of them struck a deed).

55 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

Not yet, but something's telling me it won't be possible.

I think If it's anything like the Valrei Lasers though, it'll make the floors quite wonky. (From my memories of the last time one of them struck a deed).

I sure would try for the lolz if anything.

Distorted land is fine.  Distorting the land under building walls and bridges, that's a problem.  

14 hours ago, Yaga said:

Since their introduction to Wurm "Rifts" appear frequently on the Freedom isles. When they do they not only spawn "alien structures" (crystals, columns, trees...), but they also deform and disfigure the landscape considerably. They create mounds, hills and even "spikes" with 20+ slopes. This not only occurs somewhere out in the wild, in the middle of nowhere, but also in developed and populated areas, even close to deeds. What is worse: the distortion also destroys roads, highways and even off-deed buildings.

Please change the rift mechanics so that the disfigurement of the landscape is minimized, and keep them away from highways, roads and user-built structures. Also: let the alien structures decay more rapidly.

(At the current high spawn rate, it will only be a matter of time until our servers will turn into strange alien landscapes...)

While I agree all lands on a Deed should be protected, the perimeter should be fair game.  Also, tunnels, bridges, highways and whatever else.  This is where the community steps in to challenge and right that which was made wrong.

One Caveat to this would be that there should be a way to minimize the next rift opening.  Maybe something to do with the Gods, Prayers, Missions etc?  so while it doesn't stop the rift from opening.   It does minimize the impact of the actual opening.

+1 remove the bumps and pits they don't add anything to enjoying the rifts really and at the rate they come they will just destroy servers

sure we can dig and drop but thats not fun and no one really wants to

• Like 1

Hi all,

After reading through this suggestion, we'll be implementing new checks to make sure buildings or fences arent affected, and also tone down the slopes. The crazy housing shouldn't happen, and all rifts occur off deed, so this will avoid all structures too now (including bridges).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Hi all,

After reading through this suggestion, we'll be implementing new checks to make sure buildings or fences arent affected, and also tone down the slopes. The crazy housing shouldn't happen, and all rifts occur off deed, so this will avoid all structures too now (including bridges).

Poor compromise. All rift land deformations should be eliminated. All weird Rift projections should be bashable with 1 hit from a shovel or pick with instant timer. No damage should be done to the tool used. The killing of all vegetation and packing of ground makes sense because then players can see all the rift mobs clearly and move around faster.

Even with the changes I mentioned it will still require concerned players to dig/drop/cultivate the packed earth so new foliage and trees will sloooowly regrow. The more caring players will even take time to replant these areas with sprouts. Still, eventually it will become tiring to redo these rift destroyed areas to their former natural or player cultivated states.

Your suggested implementations fall far short of taking these things into consideration.

=Ayes=

• Like 2