Sign in to follow this  
Pakawala

Salt veins

Salt is too seldom to come by, salt veins can be added to the game. In addition we have so little use of salt, new decorative items can be added where requires salt to be combined with leather or salt can be used with fishes (i read those suggestions about smoked fish etc).

• Like 3

there could be many new addition to the game yes but salt could fit some new important additions. i would like that smoked fish too :)

Chaos skirmishes is a good place to look 

unless theres any new additions that require a huge amount of salt, like dried meat/fish

a big -1, salt is so indredibly useless that distributing veins to it would hurt. imagine planting your deed on a really nice spot, you start mining and the only thing you find all around is salt and rock. welcome to wurms cluster-like vein distribution.

currently you can already get salt from veins, maybe you should try finding one of those if you're in need of salt.

9 hours ago, Arium said:

unless theres any new additions that require a huge amount of salt, like dried meat/fish

a big -1, salt is so indredibly useless that distributing veins to it would hurt. imagine planting your deed on a really nice spot, you start mining and the only thing you find all around is salt and rock. welcome to wurms cluster-like vein distribution.

currently you can already get salt from veins, maybe you should try finding one of those if you're in need of salt.

salt has many uses, not only in cooking and preserving of food, such as meat and fish, but also in alchemical recipes.

In another thread about the inclusion of books, vellum, which is crafted from lambskin, is very useful.

If underground, there was to be a brine could be found, could be used in the treatment of leather.

Not sure why salt is so rare to come across, since it is a common element. Often derived from shallow pools. Rock salt shouldn't be the only source.

In a fishing thread, one sugestion was the drying of kelp. Kelp is another possible source of acquiring salt.

• Like 1

when did salt become rare? I prospected a mine a while back and could barely find a spot where salt was not present.  I invariably get salt after mining a long tunnel and then my priests get it all the time.  I have never yet seen a WTB salt Ad.  Just saying salt is not necessarily rare, i have maybe a small crate or more worth and i have used salt quit a bit.  In order words i have a large excess because it is not used very much, if devs increase the need/requirement for salt then i suspect they just tweak the amount that naturally comes form rock/veins.  I would rather find a 26th iron vein (yes i have 25 on a deed) than one salt vein and unless salt becomes a massively required thing i cannot imagine there ever being a salt vein (or flint vein for that matter)

it would be nice if salt could be used as a proper preservative for foods, and dried fish.

Salt is really easy to come by.
1) if you have a priest, you already have so much that you're going to die because of the salt you add to your food.
2) find a salt tile in a mine after you mine it out you can continue mining the floor/ceiling to get even more salt.

First, add uses for salt. After that worry about increasing the supply.

If our oceans ever become salt water, then boiling a cauldron of salt water should provide all you need.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Salt is really easy to come by.
1) if you have a priest, you already have so much that you're going to die because of the salt you add to your food.
2) find a salt tile in a mine after you mine it out you can continue mining the floor/ceiling to get even more salt.

First off, I don't spend my days mining, secondly do I need to have a priest for salt?  (I know there's a disconnect in logic there pray=salt)

for now there is an adequate supply of salt, but really it has no real use.

Like many have said, I would love for there to be good uses for meat.  maybe they could just add Activate salt and use on meat, uses 0.1 and you get preserved or salted meat.  Which would take 1/5 the damage of regular food?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tallios said:

First off, I don't spend my days mining, secondly do I need to have a priest for salt?  (I know there's a disconnect in logic there pray=salt)

for now there is an adequate supply of salt, but really it has no real use.

Like many have said, I would love for there to be good uses for meat.  maybe they could just add Activate salt and use on meat, uses 0.1 and you get preserved or salted meat.  Which would take 1/5 the damage of regular food?

Salt added to a meal already does slow down decay of the meal.  No reason to add salt to meat, FSB stops decay completely.
Also, I never said you have to have a priest, I said "IF" you have a priest"
Never said you have to spend all day mining, just make use of salt tiles when you find them.

Correct, there is little use for salt, but until that changes, we don't need salt veins.  I mean really, how annoying would it be to have a salt vein that can take up to 10k actions to clear blocking your tunnel, or your underground town plans?