Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #25 Tweaks and tidbits

If your going to allow insanity to change paths now is this going to last until the meditation overhaul happens? As of right now shield of the gone is still viable in combat but if it gets nerfed any further the entire path of insanity as we know it will become completely useless and a gigantic waste of a year or so of work. I would hate to lose my opportunity to change before anything major happens.

Man I should make my name factional fight and start suggesting stuff. Think that suggestion got put in faster than any player suggestion I've seen. 

• Like 9

What about unicorns, Their so hard to find on Indy, That i've only see one in the entire world. 

• Like 1

I thought the whole point of the characteristic cap was to get free players to buy premium... you know, so they could do all the cool stuff...

Yay............first change that would affect PvP and its a negative one.

3 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I didn't read all posts carefully so maybe I missed it.... but without cave and surface layers being separate for altars then it just got A LOT harder to put down stone altars

Sorry not everyone has or wants to go find 50 silver/gold ore for everyone that wants their own altar so they can make an ugly altar when stone is smaller and looks a lot nicer

Unless we're going to be allowed to build any altar in any domain now?

And that domain management without underground is going to be touchy. For years, my domain has been underground and my deedmate's has been above. The altars are far enough apart that where we actually do our casting is not going to change but the over/under is not going to be full deed coverage any more.

1 hour ago, Audrel said:

And that domain management without underground is going to be touchy. For years, my domain has been underground and my deedmate's has been above. The altars are far enough apart that where we actually do our casting is not going to change but the over/under is not going to be full deed coverage any more.

I would like there to be a bonus for total area under domain control.  

For the Dev's, Dark Age of Camelot had a great thing that encouraged people to conquer territory for greater bonuses.

maybe something could be done to add a touch of deity conflict?

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Oh and btw.... please tell us the RGB of those statues in the screenshot ?

[17:44:47] A beautiful almost man-sized statue of a nymph, wearing only a thin robe as garment. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. Colors: R=254, G=174, B=1. It could be improved with a shards. Ql: 99.0, Dam: 0.0.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LaRue said:

Aw man, and just yesterday I culled 170 animals (I was trying to get the new horse colors). Put 17 damage on my QL 90 sword. Only got 1 rare coin from killing, although I did get 4 from burying.

Before:

Reveal hidden contents

fsRkcMj.png

After:

Reveal hidden contents

dyo9pWB.png

Bonus: Find the traumatized foals!

look all that money

4 hours ago, Silentnight said:

If your going to allow insanity to change paths now is this going to last until the meditation overhaul happens? As of right now shield of the gone is still viable in combat but if it gets nerfed any further the entire path of insanity as we know it will become completely useless and a gigantic waste of a year or so of work. I would hate to lose my opportunity to change before anything major happens.

It was said in the past that the path switch would be added temp for the insanity nerf and that if and when a larger overhaul comes there will be another temp switch offered.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

It was said in the past that the path switch would be added temp for the insanity nerf and that if and when a larger overhaul comes there will be another temp switch offered.

ah ok, don't remember seeing a second switch offered but that answers my question thanks

4 hours ago, Audrel said:

Keep in mind that the strength are halved on other layers. So in all likelihood, setups like this will work exactly the same - your altar will still control the underground, his will still control above ground (if they don't, imping the lower ql altar to at least be over half the ql of the other altar will fix it)..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Question is now, how do i switch paths lol?

Firstly the patch hasn't gone in yet (afaik) and secondly its only for insanity when it does, unless you have forsaken your power brothers!!!?!

11 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Firstly the patch hasn't gone in yet (afaik) and secondly its only for insanity when it does, unless you have forsaken your power brothers!!!?!

After power i went power bottom aka insanity, so yeah ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budda said:

Keep in mind that the strength are halved on other layers. So in all likelihood, setups like this will work exactly the same - your altar will still control the underground, his will still control above ground (if they don't, imping the lower ql altar to at least be over half the ql of the other altar will fix it)..

It has been very nice before though to be able to keep very strong domains for 2 different gods by using above and below.  If the strength is going to be half on the other layer, I do not  understand why we have to have the domain leech into the other layer.

4 minutes ago, Pashka said:

It has been very nice before though to be able to keep very strong domains for 2 different gods by using above and below.  If the strength is going to be half on the other layer, I do not  understand why we have to have the domain leech into the other layer.

You can still keep very strong domains in both. If they are strong, they will be unaffected by the other.

This really only changes things if one has a really weak altar, or no altar. It can make building a non-silver/gold altar difficult though underground.

I'm sure pvpers don't think this change is going to be fun to deal with on chaos/epic but it would surely spice up the active player base. Instead of sitting in your sand and dirt castles all day you can defend your kingdom. However it might be best to disable this for pvp for obvious reasons, unless it can be fleshed out more. ;)

54 minutes ago, Pashka said:

Simply because there was no reason for it not to. For people where multiple high strength domains are required in the same area, it'll work the same - you can use each layer. For those that don't really care, and just want some of the passive effects from their domain bonus, only one altar is needed.

The mechanic of it being separate between layers may make sense to older players that know about it and why its there, but to new players it probably doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

• Like 1

Imo because you can just push stone, and make metal anywhere (and possibly push everything entirely soon it seems), it makes sense to me to just allow building an altar anywhere in any domain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budda said:

Simply because there was no reason for it not to. For people where multiple high strength domains are required in the same area, it'll work the same - you can use each layer. For those that don't really care, and just want some of the passive effects from their domain bonus, only one altar is needed.

The mechanic of it being separate between layers may make sense to older players that know about it and why its there, but to new players it probably doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

Why don't you take the time to explain why it needs to change then.  I don't understand the reasoning of just because a new player doesn't think it makes sense.  There are many many things in this game that do not make sense.

Edited by Pashka

15 minutes ago, Pashka said:

Why don't you take the time to explain why it needs to change then.  I don't understand the reasoning of just because a new player doesn't think it makes sense.  There are many many things in this game that do not make sense.

Not just to new players - I read the code and still didn't understand fully how to use the system inside the game. To get any sort of proper control over how your domains interact, you'd have to map out your domain zone boundaries near you in game, which is difficult when you don't have access to your tile coordinates. This fixes that - allows finer controlling of your domains while making sense inside the game with no special calculations or zones.

Plenty of systems in the game are old, don't make sense, are broken, or restrict us in some changes we want to make down the line - when possible we replace those systems. This is just one of those times. Not fixing or changing things like this just because "well its always been like that" is not a good reason in my opinion.

For an example on what this lets us do now: It'll allow us to enable moving of the other altar types without worrying about the domain implications and updates - which was always an issue to keep in mind and one of the reasons it hasn't been allowed (other than stone) before now. Domains will update instantly instead of only updating every 8-10 minutes, meaning any pushing or pulling, imping or bashing of altars will instantly reflect the new strength and range of the altar. QL and damage will have a proper impact on the domain size and strength, and domain boundaries can now interact on the size of tiles, instead of large 8x8 zones.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Budda said:

Not just to new players - I read the code and still didn't understand fully how to use the system inside the game. To get any sort of proper control over how your domains interact, you'd have to map out your domain zone boundaries near you in game, which is difficult when you don't have access to your tile coordinates. This fixes that - allows finer controlling of your domains while making sense inside the game with no special calculations or zones.

Plenty of systems in the game are old, don't make sense, are broken, or restrict us in some changes we want to make down the line - when possible we replace those systems. This is just one of those times. Not fixing or changing things like this just because "well its always been like that" is not a good reason in my opinion.

For an example on what this lets us do now: It'll allow us to enable moving of the other altar types without worrying about the domain implications and updates - which was always an issue to keep in mind and one of the reasons it hasn't been allowed (other than stone) before now. Domains will update instantly instead of only updating every 8-10 minutes, meaning any pushing or pulling, imping or bashing of altars will instantly reflect the new strength and range of the altar. QL and damage will have a proper impact on the domain size and strength, and domain boundaries can now interact on the size of tiles, instead of large 8x8 zones.

very nice to hear that, but why didn't we get this info in the  first place. this makes things alot clearer and now i understand why you changed it

• Like 1

Thank you for explaining Budda.  I do understand the change above ground.  I still do not understand why the underground has to leech up but I appreciate the detailed explanation which is what we need more of.

• Like 1