Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Spidersilk Armor and Bags

There are other threads that mention spidersilk and I wanted to revive the concept, plus add some specifics I'd like to see with it.  First off, there are different types of spiders:  Giant, Lava and Fog.  I think each should drop silk of different characteristics in armor crafting:

1. Giant drops the strongest silk, providing the best overall physical attack resistance.

2. Lava silk is less for physical, but high flame resists.

3. Fog - you guessed it, bonus to dodge and stealth (those bloody bast...).

Spidersilk by default should weigh than cloth and provide the same movement and no impedance to combat or spell casting, but be as protective as leather armor.  It should also require it's own skill, under tailoring.

"Wurmhole, you jerk!  That would ruin all my years of work skilling cloth and leather crafting!"

Well, to answer:  not if we limit the silk drops to only rare rolls when butchering.  Also, we need to make spidersilk behave like leather imping, where the silk QL can be lower than the crafted item.  Please consider drake hide armor.  Did it kill the leather armor market?  Nope.  Why not have spidersilk craftable by CT skill?  Because I want everyone to have equal opportunity to raise themselves up to master crafter levels, at the time it is introduced.

How do we skill this, with it being so rare?  We also add a coin pouch.  This tiny little pouch can be crafted from a single drop of silk and imped for days on a second drop of silk.  In fact, the super stretchy qualities of spidersilk make using it to improve have an almost imperceptible amount of loss over time.

- Coin pouch would have the special quality of combining all coins into larger amounts & auto gather coins from praying.

- Imping coin pouches raises QL VERY slowly, due to the incredibly intricate nature of the materials (yes, so we don't have to make 100 pouches and have them all taking up inventory space, or using up too much silk to level the skill).  I detest the wastefulness of wurm's current craft grinds, making 100 needles, 100 butcher knives, 100 rope tools, 100 ores, etc.

Finally, we have to have spidersilk packs!  Weigh half as much as a satchel and carry as much as a regular backpack.  By the time this is released, I'm sure the excitement of the 10yr knapsacks will have worn off and everyone will be itching for the latest packs to show off.

Appearances are everything!!

Make the armor and packs reflect the spiders they came from:

- White

- Orange

- Somewhat greyish/foggy/smoky looking, without looking like Pig Pen from Charlie Brown cartoons. 

I think that covers it, but please add more suggestions or changes to keep this viable.  PvP?  Not sure how good or bad this will impact it, but I imagine it would be similar to the release of drake hide armor.

• Like 4

Sure +1, but can you imagine amount of work time needed to balance the armor stats?

• Like 1

Add crocodile armor to the list .

Why not use scorpian shell armor also .

That would handy.

• Like 1

i like the concept.  If you get enough of this stuff over time it becomes go to armor for priests.

would give anyone who cares to kill enough spiders a shot at earning / creating a special reward.  a bit like poor man's drake hide without having to submit yourself to the huge crowds when you happen to hear about a slaying.

its time spiders contributed something other than that annoying clicking sound

+1

• Like 1

I REALLY like the pouch concept.  
The armour concept is not really needed.  Priests can wear normal leather with the same casting bonus as cloth anyway.   The slightly less weight and "Look at my cool hard to craft armour" is a plus for it.   Plus new skill for people to raise, also a plus.

+1

It's boring to imp regular cloth all the time >.>.

Maybe instead of colors make it white and dyeable ?? Or at least regular silk dyeable and other with specific color as mentioned in OP's post.

16 minutes ago, Martynas5 said:

+1

It's boring to imp regular cloth all the time >.>.

Maybe instead of colors make it white and dyeable ?? Or at least regular silk dyeable and other with specific color as mentioned in OP's post.

Could be cool if silk was like the "steel" of cloth.

i'll be looking forward to the fog spider armor which will most likely be cloth armor except for they made all the pieces use the tundra tile graphic
+1

+1, though I'd rather have spiders be tameable and be "milkable" for silk. That way getting silk would still be a challenge, without having to travel the land, hunting every spider, and still ending up with only 50 silk tailoring skill.

Mmm silk lingerie... perhaps gives a +1 boost to luck stat?

Heck I'd be perfectly willing to use such on my male chars to avoid the perception of sexism. :ph34r: