Sign in to follow this  
Shazaam

10th anniversary gift event only 7 days?

I'm really curious, why was the gift event only a measly 7 days?

I cant be the only one who missed out on the gifts, considering it was enough to get me to re-sub for the time on multiple characters. This quite literally made me want to re-sub now than at some future point. I can only assume this was the driving point behind this particular event, and considering it's the summer a good idea right? Because i was away, i got nothing, and immediately regretted subscribing again.

So again, why limit it to 7 days? Who was the target audience for this, existing daily premium players? You can see how this is a bit annoying to say the least, not just for me, but should be for you as well. This isn't some random event, it's supposed to be something important, strategic, and business driven, or is it?

So here's my 10th anniversary story from a guy who's playing this game since 2004:

- Left game a number of months back out of boredom.

- Oh look, anniversary event? cool, let's resub after hearing about some fun unique items, 10th only comes once right, so must be good!

- Resubscribe a few accounts, likely more. So much character hours and prem time!!

- Get nothing. wtf.

- Find out you had to read deeper into the forums for patch notes indicating the days required. Too bad so sad, get out of my store.

- Yell at your inactive townies because you are pissed off, generally turning them off on coming back.

Sounds whiny and complain driven right? It is, but the fact remains something that trivial is enough for an 'n' number of people to subscribe, including me. For me it's a failure, as had i known there was nothing to be had, i would not have subscribed. Lots of my inactive town members were keen to re-sub on multiple accounts but did not based on me being annoyed. Here's your primary source consumer data for next time.

So in short, make events longer or you could start by putting dates/times into the main patch notes on the client and website instead of deeper in the forums. How many people actively read the forums versus those who play? Exactly. Imagine someone reading directly that they -have- to get premium by a certain date to get items or extending events based on results! EUREKA!! $$$!

-Done.

• Like 3

code club makes no mistakes, they make happy accidents ;) 

I'd share my bottle of Dom with you but I already poured it on the ground for all the dead goons

• Like 2

Obligatory post about complaining about getting free stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cunk said:

I'd share my bottle of Dom with you but I already poured it on the ground for all the dead goons

So many gone..

1 hour ago, Redd said:

Obligatory post about complaining about getting free stuff.

Obligatory post about lack of reading comprehension-skills and canned phrases eliciting a lack of education and awareness of the subject matter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lunn said:

I love you Shazaam

Love you too Lunn~

17 hours ago, Shazaam said:

I'm really curious, why was the gift event only a measly 7 days?

Am curious about this myself. Decided to preemie up an alt to get the goodies, but unfortunately I did it a day or so too late. Thought that since the celebrations were still going on, that so were the bonus'. Oh well, if they decide to extend the bonus, put me down for one not received pls.

Yeah, I am whining to a degree because 'i want my stuff', but i really was angry enough to post, expecting a lot of "QQ moar!!" replies.

This isn't some small event, its a 10th anniversary and should be treated not only as a reward, but as a potentially good marketing tool. Unfortunately, as pointed out, they obviously didn't understand the impact of "free stuffs!!" as anything more than some silly weekly event. The real impact is 4 accounts will not be sub'd, and a further 7-9 accounts -might- have potentially come back but 100% will -not- because my anger vented out on them. Its consumer driven focus that should perpetuate these events, but they do not, either for a lack of resources, understanding, or cohesion.

• Like 2

On your anniversary I hope you take your family on a month long trip to celebrate 

And to compare I think most games celebrate things for a week/weekend.

But wah my free stuff!

Each year, i go on a vacation for 2 weeks. It's a yearly anniversary.

Every 10 years, I take a 1.5-2 month vacation to celebrate. It's a decade-long anniversary.

But wah i dont understand!

Most games have milestones like this for an extended period of time, or provide automatic 'gifts'.

lets look at other MMOs
WoW's 10 year was 2 weeks
Eve's I believe was "be subbed on the anniversary" but I can't remember, regardless it's value is roughly equivalent to a sleep powder. (mostly just the gnosis iirc)
nothing else comes to the top of my head

the "i missed an email and subbed a bunch of accounts due to negligence" attitude probably doesn't help your post but yeah it probably should've been two weeks, but a week isn't unreasonable. Another case of "here's free stuff" and people complaining about it.

You can go to chaos and earn your 10 year anniversary gift that way. We had a supreme knapsack drop the other night.
and nobody had to sub an alt to get it, either, super easy.

I was a day late on the sub too, mine ran out for the first time in a long while and I waited a week to renew because I've been busy at work. Sort of sucks after playing so long to miss out on an anniversary thing.

I'm also curious about this. We in our group premmed up for this but not all of us could log in during the second part of the gift handout (the knapsack). So essentially we premmed up for a loyalty reward that was meant to reward premium players but instead ended up rewarding players that logged in. So if you bought 1 year of prem but didn't log in during that week you didn't get the loyalty reward? Seems messed up, and last time this happened you could at least walk up to the token to get the reward but that doesn't seem to be a thing now.

23 hours ago, UnknownOrganism said:

On your anniversary I hope you take your family on a month long trip to celebrate 

And to compare I think most games celebrate things for a week/weekend.

But wah my free stuff!

It's a reward for paying for the game any many of us premmed up exclusively for the loyalty rewards. There is a big difference in whining about the contents of a gift you get for paying for premium and "whining" about not getting it at all.

It's true that we didn't pay for the gifts themselves and even if they had been a pile of dung that would have been a risk we were taking when deciding to pay for premium in order to get it. However, we did pay in order to get the gifts and the problem here is that some of us didn't get them. We're not whining about "free stuff", we're pointing out that it's a really offputting choice to reward players for logging in rather than rewarding them for paying for premium when the whole point of the gift was to reward people for their loyalty and encourage buying premium.

And some of us are upset because we weren't given enough time to re-prem in order to get an exclusive gift because we allowed ourselves to leave the computer for a week or two, even though this kind of happening is exactly what makes us want to re-prem. The whole point of the reward was to encourage people to prem up, and yet a large portion lost out on the opportunity to do so because of the very narrow window of opportunity.

It was a great thought and much appreciated event, but the way the devs handled the implementation of it left much to wish for. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to renew the event and make it last for a month and to allow for people who were premium but couldn't log in to collect their reward at the token.

Edited by Aeris

I'm pretty sure the best thing to be taken from this is to just clarify the dates.

A month isn't really necessary, IMO. And it seems like I'm not the only one who thought a week would be acceptable.

Hitler wasn't the only one who thought it would be acceptable to wipe the Earth clean of Jews, doesn't mean it was right. That you, who happened to be available during the narrow window of opportunity, think it was an acceptable amount of time means little to nothing.

A clarification of the dates would definitely be an improvement of great magnitude, especially since there was a delay from the announcement of the gift and the arrival of the knapsacks. It would, however, not solve the problem of 10 years of Wurming being celebrated by a premium reward that lasted for a week. If the point of the reward is to encourage people to buy premium you should at least be given a fair chance to do so, especially since they are aware of the problems with the news letters that go out to our mail adresses (or don't go out, a large portion of the time).

For a TENTH  anniversary, rarely will a self-respecting game have less than a month's worth to get the anniv. collectibles.

Those that think it's OK are not the casual, let's-premium-up players that Code Club should be aiming for during these events.

This is a business, and my post is directly saying that they are failing when it comes to attracting subscriptions outside the regular core group. Communication and marketing is clearly doing the opposite of what it should.

• Like 1

The promo worked for me so I wouldn't say they're failing in that area to bad. Although tbh, I wouldn't have had a clue it was going to happen had some friends not mentioned it to me. A month doesn't seem like a bad idea but I think it's to late to add to it now. A better solution would be to consistently add in the rewards for sub time and/or play time.

The item "giveaway" was poorly implemented, whatever happened to the token-loyalty thing we had a couple years ago would've worked better.

• Like 1